Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Maggots

Options
  • 13-06-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried this with success ????

Now that Toomey's have close in Fermoy, there's a big shortage in the Blackwater region

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's easy. Go to the butcher and get a beef heart (for a 1/2 pint of gozzers which are like extra lrge extra juicy maggots)
    Put it in a biscuit tin with holes punched in, this is because the bluebottle lays its eggs in the dark. And leave it out in the garged for a day.
    What you want to get is a patch or 2 of fly eggs the size of a 2 euro coin.
    Then take the heart and wrap it up in a newspaper like a fish & chips package, and wait 5-10 days.
    There is no smell as the newspaper keeps it in.
    Open every few days to check. It will stink a bit, but the maggots get bigger and finish off the meat, leaving only stringy bits. When th meat is gone, tip them into sawdust or bran (not so good) to clean themselves.
    Use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cheers for that - I've researched a few methods over the past week but none of them have been so 'clean'

I'll keep ya posted on the results !!

Thanks again

Andi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

You're braver than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

yummy

Well Coolwings - ya did me proud !!!

My local butcher gave me a beefheart (jeez I never knew cows had such big hearts ) - I now have nearly a pint of the best quality maggots I've ever seen ! huge 'tings.

When you see how easy it is to do, you wonder how bait shops can get away with charging €3.90 for a pint !!!!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Jeeze-the things ya learn
    any chance of a photo of the happy maggots :)
    jd

Fisrt lot went swimming with a mate today....I'll update you later on their success, but I had so many off of the first 'run', that I added another piece of beef heart & there's another pint shortly to be ready for my session on Friday :)

I actually ended up cutting the beef heart into three & freezing two bits, I defrosted & added the second bit this morning.

Pic to follow from the 'wrigglecam'

Ok - stuck together an idiots guide....I know its idiot proof because it worked for me :D

Pic is of the second flush of maggots four days old - by the end of the week they'll have finished the meat & have their swimming certificate !

http://www.andiplaster.utvinternet.com/maggots.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

just shoot your cat and wait .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

savage, they are pretty big.
    how do you make red maggots?

• Advertisement

All you have to do is add food dye to the meat before the flies lay their eggs on it. I'm going to try some red next, so will update the page with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the beef heart, did u need to pay for that? just wondering, doubt i'll be trying this out this year but its quite interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

lovely :)

DSCF1329.JPG

/me finishes dinner..

the beef heart, did u need to pay for that? just wondering, doubt i'll be trying this out this year but its quite interesting all the same.

I gave the butcher a couple of Euro for it, but that was voluntary to keep him on the good side - just updated my page to include that actually :) . If you tell him its for a dog, chances are he'll give it to you. Doesn't have to be completely fresh & very often it saves them the hassle of getting rid of it. A Beef heart weighs around 2lbs & butchers are charged for their waste by weight, so you're kinda doing him a favour ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 memyselfandi

Just wanted to say thanks for the info guys. My local shop in Limerick gets their supply on a Saturday and its all gone by Tuesday. Now I am producing my own ...super.

PS We pay €5 for a pint so I have even more savings. Enough for a pint and a bay of peanuts

Advertisement