Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Depth of Answers

Options
  • 13-06-2005 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Firstly, Any BIO teachers here?????
    Anyone know if enriching your answers with stuff that is on the edge of the course or slightly outside the course is ok or of benefit. I like to add examples to my answers to illustrate them. The examples sometimes push the boundarys of the syllabus but are really good examples of what I am explaining and make use of my medical and general knowledge. Like i dont solely rely on these examples but add them in as well as the answers from syllabus.
    My teacher reckons its a good thing and will show the examiner that i really understand what is going on!
    Do you think its gonna be a plus aspect?
    Or is there a thing such as too much information?

Also, are we expecting a hard paper or an easier one. there were some complaints last year. although i thought it was a fair paper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Make sure when answering your question you put everything into points.

Ie . Respiration
    Glycolysis
    6C compound , Glucose, is converted in to 2 £c compounds (pyruvic acid) which creates 2 ATP.

Pyruvic acid enters the mitachondrian

One Carbon Atom is removed from pyruvic acid to form CO2

Remaining acetyl groupd is attached to a carrier molecule, Co-Enzyme A

Acetyl Group pass into a series of reactions called the Krebs cycle by co-enzyme A

This process converts the acetyl group into Co2 and H

Co2 is released as waste

H+ joins with NAD to form NADH +

The Exectrons from the Hydrogen atoms are passed down an electron carrying chain )the electron transport system

The energy released by this system is used to form ADP + P

Finally the H+ electrons and Oxygen jion to form water!

If you have everything as a point (AS YOU ARE MENT TO NB!!) put ur examples in as separate points. Therefor you will def not lose marks for correct points and will pick up extra marks if they are deemed to be acceptable. Hope that helps. Cherry Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Have you seen examples of marking schemes for the science subjects? They have the words the examiners are looking for, and if they see that word in the correct context you get the marks. Giving examples may help you put the words in the correct context but you can't pick up extra points if its not what they're looking for. Just put down everything you know about what the Q is asking in the time you have! If you've learned the facts it shouldn't be too bad, the questions will jog your memory

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh, i saw the 2004 marking scheme and for the photosynthesis long question there were 5 short points and it say if mentioned give marks.

Advertisement