Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Security Software..

• 13-06-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I AM on BB and would like to now what experiences you guys have had with various security software..
    I am in the market for a good Anti-Spyware app and Firewall.
    I have NAV 2003 and have only recently paid my subscription.
    I was looking at Norton Internet Security 2005 in Argos for €75 is this suite anygood and would I get any kind of acommadation regarding the fact that my sub for the this year on NAV03 isnt yet over?

If that program is no good what other programs would you recommend?
    also,I dont want to spend a small fortune... :D
    Thanks,
    Hakko

EDIT: I have just installed Spyware Doctor 3.2.1, it seems pretty good it has a livupdate function too which is handy.Anybody used this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I had a bit of hassle with Norton A while back.. I now use McAfee internet security for anti virus, spam & firewall. I kept Norton for Systemworks etc. I also run pestpatrol for Adware. I havent had one infection since installed. BTW mcafee updates daily & there is no yearly subscribtion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Pestpatrol..must try it!
    Where did you get mcafee? Can I just download it and be up to date every day?
    Also just out of curiosity what problems did you have with NAV casue i think its ok,if you dot mind me asking?

HAkko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

AVG antivirus (free)
    Zonealarm firewall(free)
    Pestpatrol
    Opera/Firefox (free with ads/free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Don't know if the full McAfee suite can be downloaded, I bought it in PC world €70, best money I ever spent..Once installed all downloads are automatic with a choice to turn notifications on/off etc...
    The grief I had with Norton was to do with its email scanning. One day it just decided it didn,t like OE and stopped letting me send /receive mail, nothing, including a reinstall of Norton , worked..Since installing McAfee everything's been fine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Okay,Thanks guys.
    Will get around to getting McAfee sometime but in the mean time I will give Pestpatrol a shot..
    Oh Yeah,does your McAfee Suite deal with Spyware etc also?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Pestpatrol..must try it!
    Where did you get mcafee? Can I just download it and be up to date every day?
    Also just out of curiosity what problems did you have with NAV casue i think its ok,if you dot mind me asking?

HAkko

I have Mc Afee version7 on my laptop and it now keeps telling me am in 11th month and renew subscription

Are u saying it will keep giving me DAT file updates anyways ?
    went to the website to check and says version 7 no longer supported

Have installed AVG and it keeps catching a trojan, I deleted the exe file and every 2nd day its locating it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

beller b wrote:
    The grief I had with Norton was to do with its email scanning. One day it just decided it didn,t like OE and stopped letting me send /receive mail, nothing, including a reinstall of Norton , worked..Since installing McAfee everything's been fine..

I've had both Norton and McAfee eat emails and never give them back (you can find them in one of the data directories under your Local Settings directory). Will never use products by either company again. They are also (Norton especially) very bad at uninstalling themselves - they leave all sort of cruft all over your registry and Local Settings).

I recommend (as already mentioned) grisofts AVG instead, although you have to turn the outgoing Email scanning on manually (it doesn't do it automatically, AFAIR).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I use Norton....every time I reinstall Windows and then reinstall Windows, I [blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ]....this happen to anyone else?

Tut tut , if you don't pay for software after the license / trial period has expired then then you aren't allowed to use it. - CM

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have installed AVG and it keeps catching a trojan, I deleted the exe file and every 2nd day its locating it again
    If using XP It could be in system restore, if you are sure your system is stable, turn off system restore, reboot, clean up again (pref in safe mode) reboot and turn on again. (ME also uses System restore - if it allows this stuff then one more reason to upgrade from ME to 98 ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

What? What Trojan is it? You sure it haven't got two different anti-virus programs running? And they flag each others quarantined files as being infected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I use Macfee, Sysgate 5.5 person firewall , Spybot 1.4 ( free to download) and the microsoft anti-spyware.

Not had a infection of spyware since i've had this lot running.

SPybot is like a Firewall to the regestry .. very handy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

fletch wrote:
    I use Norton....every time I reinstall Windows and then reinstall Windows, I [blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ]....this happen to anyone else?

Tut tut , if you don't pay for software after the license / trial period has expired then then you aren't allowed to use it. - CM
    No this genuinely happens to me, I bought the full product in PC World and reinstall Windows about once every 6 months or so & each time, this happens, I was genuinely wondering if it happens to anyone else or just me. I wasn't for a second suggesting that people use unlicenced copies of software etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fletch wrote:
    No this genuinely happens to me, I bought the full product in PC World and reinstall Windows about once every 6 months or so & each time, this happens, I was genuinely wondering if it happens to anyone else or just me. I wasn't for a second suggesting that people use unlicenced copies of software etc
    No, we couldn't ever suggest that.
    At a guess the licensing ID would be wiped out when you reinstall, if you formatted then of course all software settings are gone.

I reckon though in the future another licensing method might be based on the windows serial number. Microsoft go through all the trouble of preventing you using the serial on different hardware. So the other software company simply looks at c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl and stores an MD5 checksum on their server. Or they could use the technology in keyfinder or use the visible Hash.
    C:\>reg.exe query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion /v ProductId

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Firewall = BlackIce
    AntiVirus = BitDefender

Ad / Spy-ware removers (Spybot / Ad-ware / MS etc...)

Careful browsing & this is all you will ever need.

JoePC

Advertisement