Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumpets?

Options
  • 13-06-2005 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Does anyone know a place in Ireland that sells English crumpets (thick round ones with holes in them). I can only find the Scotch ones around the North West. Someone said Marks and Spencers might do them, but as we don't have one here I can't check. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do they not sell them in Tecos?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Whats the difference between a crumpet and an english muffin?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blisterman wrote:
    Whats the difference between a crumpet and an english muffin?
    "English Muffins" are an American invention which are the result of a poor attempt at duplicating the great English Crumpet. They have a more bread like feel to them than crumpets, which are more "rubbery" (for want of a better word!) in texture. Scottish crumpets are something else altogether :)

EDIT: I should also add that you can get Muffins on England too, but they are different again to American "English Muffins" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

I've always wondered about this too because I had a major soft spot for the McDonald's muffins from the big breakfast. I know it was probably cardboard heated up but I really liked it and would love to try a recipe but could never fathom what exactly they were supposed to be; were they English Muffins or crumpets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

magnumlady wrote:
    Hi all, Does anyone know a place in Ireland that sells English crumpets (thick round ones with holes in them). I can only find the Scotch ones around the North West. Someone said Marks and Spencers might do them, but as we don't have one here I can't check. Thanks.
    Sainsbury's, Tesco, Spar, Vivo, to name but a few...
    (the latter two occasionally have them, I don't know whether they're permanent stock or not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Sainsbury's, Tesco, Spar, Vivo, to name but a few...
    (the latter two occasionally have them, I don't know whether they're permanent stock or not)

Where abouts in the country are they? I've tried all the supermarkets in Sligo, Castlebar, Roscommon, Eniskillen but not had any luck.

Jaysus, I don't know. All over the place. I'm taking about places in Louth and Down.

Jaysus, I don't know. All over the place. I'm taking about places in Louth and Down.

Thanks, most helpful, so sorry to have taken up your time.

magnumlady wrote:
    Thanks, most helpful, so sorry to have taken up your time.
    Sarcasm, by any chance?

Sarcasm, by any chance?

I'll leave that up to you to decide

• Advertisement

That's not very nice :(

I'll never point anyone in the direction of crumpets again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Haven't had those in years. Hungry now. Major cravings started by this thread, damn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Tried a good few tesco's and SPAR's in the dublin area and they don't sell crumpets.... :(

So has anyone actually purchased crumpets and if so where did they get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

heya! they stock them in marks and spencers here in cork anyway!!! so best bet would be to look in there. cya, zenzen

zenzen wrote:
    heya! they stock them in marks and spencers here in cork anyway!!! so best bet would be to look in there. cya, zenzen
    cheers....makes sense i suppose :)

M&S on Grafton Street don't sell the bloody things.

Anybody actually bought crumpets in the Dublin area?

Anybody know how to get crumpets in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ruggie, i've seen them in the M&S in Jervis Centre, and the Tesco in Jervis too.

Shabadu wrote:
    Ruggie, i've seen them in the M&S in Jervis Centre, and the Tesco in Jervis too.

Cool. I'll have a gander at some stage. Hope they still have them as i've Looked all over the place

Tis for the girlfriend....she misses her english comfort food:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'm looking for crumpets, too. Any in Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

if there's an M&S there are crumpets. I thnk they're the only ones selling them now

Advertisement