Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Empire top 20 directors

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just read through the whole thread and i have to admit, taking into account the fact that it IS done by the public (so nothing obscure however great will get in), its not a bad list. I would personally change a lot and make Kubrick 1st but Speilberg would still be well up there. I think if anyone has directed even a few Great movies they should be rated on these, as everyones gonna make crap if a project is just crap. One thing i am actually amazed at is the omission, first from the top 40, and also from the forum, of Luc Besson. One of my personal favs (if not fav) he's made some fantastic movies everyone knows that should be enough for a mention in top 40 and on here. Leon, The Big Blue, Nikita. If just for these he should be seen as a great director.. (also love The Fifth Element but thats just me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

Federico Fellini, Roberto Rossellini, Vittorio De Sica all deserve to be high up that list.

And Pedro Almodovar, David Fincher (if he hadn't shot his own foot making panic room), Luc Besson.

Billy Wilder should be in the top 10.

Can't really argue with the top 4 though. It's a matter of taste which order they go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

gladiator was alright imho, but obviously not bladerunner standard

but hey, check it out back to the original topic.

10 Woody Allen
    9 Orson welles
    8 quentin tarantino
    7 Peter Jackson
    6 Akira Kurosawa
    5 Ridley scott
    4 Stanley Kubrick
    3 martin scorcesse
    2 Hitchcock
    1 Spielberg

I could be totally wrong here with nationalities

1 NewZealand geezer
    1 Japanese
    and the rest american ??? ok granted I would put Hitchcock, Kubrick and possibly scorcesse or Ridley scott there.
    but 3 american Directors is definately enough, I mean we are talking the world here right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hedge wrote:
    And Pedro Almodovar, David Fincher (if he hadn't shot his own foot making panic room), Luc Besson.

O.k. take Almodovar, who happens to be one of my favorite directors. I absolutely do not expect everyone to like him or for him to ever have universal appeal. I would not put him on a list of the best directors because of this. I don't see how you can judge great directors just because you like them. I think great directors have universal appeal.
    Number one on my personal list would be the Coen Brothers (is that a unit of director?) but I would not expect them to be universally judged as great.
    Sorry just another idiotic contribution. Couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

musician wrote:
    O.k. take Almodovar, who happens to be one of my favorite directors. I absolutely do not expect everyone to like him or for him to ever have universal appeal. I would not put him on a list of the best directors because of this. I don't see how you can judge great directors just because you like them. I think great directors have universal appeal.
    Number one on my personal list would be the Coen Brothers (is that a unit of director?) but I would not expect them to be universally judged as great.
    Sorry just another idiotic contribution. Couldn't resist.

You are very right. It is impossible to a certain extent. And I love Pedro Almodovar's stuff, especially Tie me up, tie me down and Woman on the verge... and High Heels.

I also love the Coen Brothers, especially Fargo. It matures with age and multiple viewings like a fine pair of flippers.....

as does mean streets.... me favourite film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

I'm puzzled by the Ridley Scott hate in this thread, he's a film making genius in my opinion, he'd make my top 5 any day. If you disagree explain why.

Blade Runner is one of my favourite filmes and Alien is good of course but the rest of his stuff is flashy and mildly enjoyable on first view if watched in a cinema, on second views they suddenly emerge as average/ garbage for evidence of this check out Black Hawn Down, GI Jane, Gladiator, Kingdoms of Heaven and Hannibal. Hes become so mediocre its ridiculous. Blade Runner is a masterpiece though and im not suprised he made a public poll list as his films are very popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nadir wrote:
    gladiator was alright imho, but obviously not bladerunner standard

but hey, check it out back to the original topic.

10 Woody Allen
    9 Orson welles
    8 quentin tarantino
    7 Peter Jackson
    6 Akira Kurosawa
    5 Ridley scott
    4 Stanley Kubrick
    3 martin scorcesse
    2 Hitchcock
    1 Spielberg

I could be totally wrong here with nationalities

1 NewZealand geezer
    1 Japanese
    and the rest american ??? ok granted I would put Hitchcock, Kubrick and possibly scorcesse or Ridley scott there.
    but 3 american Directors is definately enough, I mean we are talking the world here right?

Hitchcock and Scott are British while Kubrick almost was by default!

Mike.

really , ok cool, that still leaves 5.5 americans, which is just too much imho

I was going to apologise for the double post, but rather than use the edit button I'll just say

Woooo , tripple post , how noob

• Advertisement
Advertisement