Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles

Options
  • 13-06-2005 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Does anyone ever bring in their mobiles with them and forget to turn them off? It's happened to me twice now and both times it wasn't on silent. I'm really close to the supervisor too and he's really sharp. I had to take a drink to cool down today after trying to turn it off i got so nervous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Aye... I leave everything outside with my mate/exam attendant... phone, wallet, iPod, jumper (hey, the exam hall is hot!)... basically everything except pens, water and chewing gum. It's just not worth the stress of having full/jangly pockets or a phone that's turned on or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

left mine with the attendant!! its 3 days old!! got it back scratched to bits!!! just make sure u turn it off!!!! if caught they class it as cheating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Yea i know it's cheating but i couldn't part with it. Speaking of cheating does anybody get away with it or not for that matter. I remember a girl a few years ago with formulae wrttenon her arms and she wrote on her tights and roled up her skirt and never got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

hahaha we hav the coolest examiner ever. we just bring mobiles in. 2wice 2day they went off in maths.he just says stop the messing and|"put it on silent"

loads a guy are txt near me.

+ we get 5min head start and 10 min over time its great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

left mine in my pocket today for first day, better than risking it. Was fine, obviously i didnt take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

yeah loasdsa lads write down formulae on the desk before the exam, use their phones, ask the 5th supervisors, have notes in their pocket and look at them when they go to the toilet. Thing is, theres gonna be v.little difference whether you do this or not. Like, those little bits wont change your overall grade by much

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In my school the desks are cleaned before the exam so you can do the writing of the formulas. Your followed to the cheating and this year, they stand by the door to hear if your opening paper and stuff.

I bring my phone in simply cause I dont trust the eejits outside, iv forgotten to turn it off plenty of times and the examiners just laughed. Im in a room on my own anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

daxon wrote:
    hahaha we hav the coolest examiner ever. we just bring mobiles in. 2wice 2day they went off in maths.he just says stop the messing and|"put it on silent"

loads a guy are txt near me.

+ we get 5min head start and 10 min over time its great

I'd hate to find out if someone in your exam hall got a better mark than me and pushed me out of a good course because of that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'd hate to find out if someone in your exam hall got a better mark than me and pushed me out of a good course because of that...

I agree but at the same time I wouldn't be complaining if it was me. Unfortunately it isn't, our supervisors are obscenely punctual.

Anyway I just leave my phone in my bag outside; one of the benefits of having a brick that only works when it wants to is that you couldn't care less about losing it! Have been tempted to get a new one but when I think about this or about worrying about it getting scratched if I put it in my pocket with my keys I go "Nah..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Or you could blame yourself for not studying more and writing more concise answers. Of course, someone getting a whole 15 minutes more than you is a far easier excuse to use..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yes becuase it's a pretty valid one. 15 mins for me is about a page to a page and a half in English. You can't possibly write everything about a topic in an exam even if, hypothetically, you know it all, due to time constraints. Remove these constraints (or make them more lax) and you're handing an unfair advantage to some people.

You know absolutely nothing about how much study other people did or what sort of work they produced. You may not have quoted me, but I feel the same way as Richard_Fonzie. To be perfectly honest I find your smart-arse comments insulting. Kindly keep them to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Po-2

one of the lads phone rang at the start of the irish tape the examiner said nothin and we all laughed really broke the ice :rolleyes: :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

The 15 mins extra thing is really unfair...I finish promptly because I think it's unfair on everyone else if I have an extra 5 mins....although I've seen people staying in the exam centre for an extra 10-ish...You knew in September (or before) how long the exam was going to be - deal with it

(also our examiner stands over you if you are not finished and he wants to take up your script)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

phones have gone off twice in our exams but the examiner just looks around and says nothing. in the very very last part of the french aural someone's phone went off and he played the bit again, which was nice of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

my examiner actually HELPS us with the exam, as well as starting early and finishing late if we need it.

she HELPS us ffs!! brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

when i handed my phone outside to the monitor just before the maths after the exam,i asked for my phone it was stolen out of his bag

i just got that phone a week ago

thats the school fault right

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nope it's not the schools fault.

you handed him the phone, no one forced you too, the school didn't offer a mobile phone minding service, so i'm afraid there's not much you can do. Sorry to hear that you got your phone stolen it's a bitch I know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

french cd test. middle of it
    BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    great fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Finch* wrote:
    my examiner actually HELPS us with the exam, as well as starting early and finishing late if we need it.

she HELPS us ffs!! brilliant!!
    how?

You bastard! Our one is a cranky lad in his 60's or more that gives you a condesending look if you ask to go to the toilet or even for more paper! Pain in the arse! Finishes and starts at exact times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Haha, in one of my exams, someone's phone made a weird noise. It cut through the silence like a knife.

Everyone looked up, and stared at the guy. The examiners looked over seriously.

The guy looks really embarressed and everyone goes back to work, and nothing is said about it.

Then a few minutes later, his radio or mp3 player or something BLARES out some snippet of sound. Not sure how that's even possible, it must have been his phone. Again everyone looks over, and he looks embarressed, but nothing is said.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

ACtually yeah it is. If it goes off they SHOULD do something, i mean we are told before hand that we arent supposed to bring em in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Africa wrote:
    ACtually yeah it is. If it goes off they SHOULD do something, i mean we are told before hand that we arent supposed to bring em in.

You're NOT!!!!

Rule is that you're not allowed to have them in the exam centre, even if they are turned off.

If the superintendents were carrying out their job properly, anyone caught in possesion of a mobile phone could be liable to have ALL their exam results scrapped (read the poster that's up in each exam centre - called the Fogra)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭7thSeal

Africa wrote:
    You bastard! Our one is a cranky lad in his 60's or more that gives you a condesending look if you ask to go to the toilet or even for more paper! Pain in the arse! Finishes and starts at exact times!

How could you need more paper?
    There's like 24 pages in the book

Um...thats what i posted.

I'd give you some strange looks too if you asked for more paper

Rough work for maths.

Edit: Love the sig ^, although harsh on the pope (when clicked) Dragonforce kick ass!

• Advertisement

How much rough work could you possibly need

Advertisement