Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relllllllligion!!!

• 13-06-2005 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Anyone else here like me doing Religion for their Junior??? If so, any tips or any topics you think are important for the exam? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My school doesnt do it...I dunno write about Jesus or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I aint doing it but try the bible , should be able to thumb through it and gat the jist of it in a few mos :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

I think Religion as a subject is a complete joke. It shouldn't be an exam subject. My school does it and the exam is the biggest load of rubbish (maybe the fact that I cannot stand the teacher adds to that) and it's just really...pointless.
    You believe what you believe, and even if it is just learning about the different religions, I still don't think it should be a subject.
    The worst thing though is the actual exam paper. The papers are really badly done, with the most pathetic attempt at drawing maps you will ever see.
    They're like...purple blobs scribbled with a colouring pencil, and they're meant to be parts of the holy land or something. It's impossible to tell the land from the oceans. The questions are also terrible. They're so stuck for questions that they nick stuff from CSPE, such as "What is the constitution of Ireland called?" and "What are laws?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

The Religion questions are very... i dunno ... hazy.
    They're not very specific, if ya know what i mean, and you don't always know what they're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Though I'm not doing it for the Junior Cert, I'm looking into taking it up as a leaving cert subject - looking at the sample Higher level paper, the subjects look interesting and I already know some of it (I had an extremely enthusiastic christian for a religion teacher this year, great guy), I mean that there can get you 100points towards college! :)

...unless I've missed something out completely, as I usually do..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Lol that's the thing, our Religion teachers wasn't exactly...focused. Like at the start of class he'd make us open our books/turn to page blah etc but by the eng of it he'd be talking about trekking in Nepal/his girlfriend/a film he'd seen lately/his girlfriend/penguins/his girlfriend... We didn't even finish our 1st Year book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

*MmmPie* wrote:
    Anyone else here like me doing Religion for their Junior??? If so, any tips or any topics you think are important for the exam? Thanks!
    learn about your particular foreign faith (judaism, buddhism, islam)
    and learn about the end of Jesus's life at calvary
    learn about some miracles he did (changing of water to wine) and rising Jirasus' daughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Learn a major world religion and morality

I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Captain Hook

I'm not doin it for the JC but i still hav 2 do classes!!!!!!!

I'm not doin it for the JC but i still hav 2 do classes!!!!!!!
    Heh nasty. Hmmm come to think of it, what do the rest of ye here do in Religion if you don't actually need to learn anything for an exam?

Yeah, we watch videos and read "FaceUp" in class.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Yeah, we watch videos and read "FaceUp" in class.
    Sounds like a barrel of laughs! :D Please don't tell me 'FaceUp' is one of those dodgy teen-religious magazines that just make you crrrringe when you read it?

We play a game where u throw a tennis ball around the room or else just talk about random stuff

We play a game where u throw a tennis ball around the room or else just talk about random stuff
    Fun! Did that result in any broken windows by any chance?

naw but u do get the chance to throw a tennis ball at our teacher! :D

believe it or not i have actually learned a lot from the religion course and its an easy A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

We have religion for half the year and then SPHE, which is taught by a creepy OLD lady who wears leather pants and "Pleasures herself in the bath, it's perfectly natural girls". She also likes fast cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Flashling wrote:
    We have religion for half the year and then SPHE, which is taught by a creepy OLD lady who wears leather pants and "Pleasures herself in the bath, it's perfectly natural girls". She also likes fast cars.
    Oh god. o.o

We had SPHE once a week all year (minus 11 weeks for computers) but it's just my form teacher giving out to us about the state of the classroom, and occasionally telling us not to get pregnant/take drugs.

Religion we had ... like three or four times a week but all we did was watch random films and sit around talking about non-religion stuff.

• Advertisement

Flashling wrote:
    Eeewwwwwww! :eek:

*MmmPie* wrote:
    Sounds like a barrel of laughs! :D Please don't tell me 'FaceUp' is one of those dodgy teen-religious magazines that just make you crrrringe when you read it?

Hahaha...how did you know? Cant miss out on "Luke's Diary" now can I? Or "Your questions" e.g:Q.) Dear face up, my friend insulted me over the colour of my hair, what do I do?

A.) You're obviously ginger. Live with it.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Hahaha...how did you know? Cant miss out on "Luke's Diary" now can I? Or "Your questions" e.g:Q.) Dear face up, my friend insulted me over the colour of my hair, what do I do?

A.) You're obviously ginger. Live with it.

Ahh yes, the name "FaceUp" says it all. I'm sure all the teachers think its 'hip' and 'cool' magazine. (I always cringe when I hear teachers saying those words). Ah and let me guess, if its a teen-religious magazine, there's probably at LEAST one page devoted to: A)How smoking's just not 'cool' (yet again, cringe) or B)Teenagers and...*dun dun DUUNNN* alcohol. Sometimes I'm glad Religion's an exam subject for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

My religion teacher's a legend. Religions great craic and all you really need to know is morality and islam... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

I don't really like having religion as an exam subject. My teacher skipped a whole part of the course (world religions) so that really restricts what questions I can answer tomorrow. Shame, they seem like the only interesting part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

They're not, I assure you good miss.

They're not, I assure you good miss.

Really? I thought they would be...learning about different cultures and that. Better than "What is morality?"

morality is so easy to write about :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Oh a hate religion.our teacher is a complete moron.We all got D's and C's in the pres.Im gonna study the founder of Island and St Vincent De Paul.And other useless stuff :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Casserine wrote:
    Really? I thought they would be...learning about different cultures and that. Better than "What is morality?"
    You would think so wouldn't you?

Imagine learning about different cultures: Fun!

Imagine learning about them in a classroom: Interesting!

Imagine learning about them in a classroom with a set sylabus: Kinda good!

Imagine learning about them in a classroom with a set sylabus and key concepts and mainly doing the parts which link back to Christianity: No good!

Remember how boring Christianity was with all the boring stories and facts and concepts and key-words and such? It's like tha, only they've applied it to the other world religions. It's terrible.

Down with Religion testing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Lia_lia wrote:
    Oh a hate religion.our teacher is a complete moron

Moron? Mom? What is with all the American lingo?

Well I thought Religion was the usual baloney, but I really liked the picture of the nuns all staring at the laptop. It was really funny, thought the questions on it were pathetic as usual.

So Religion was definately the best test I had so far, even though I probably didn't get an A. It's possible I did but I don't think so.

I did the short questions, I did the 4 middle questions and I did a very good (in my opinion anyway) long question.

Then, that's when the fun started. I used the 2 extra questions which I opted not to do, to rip the piss out of it. For emaxple (heh heh):

I said that the meaning of the cross was, "Back vampires, back!"

When it asked why do some young people believe in God I said, "i) Because their parents used swift indoctrination techniques. One of which is known as mid-balling. ii) Because peer pressure makes them think it's cool. Like smoking!"

When asked for another way young people express religious meaning I said, "Some young people make posters that say, "I Heart God!", "Jesus Is Metal," and so forth. I know I do!"

I did some other stuff too. If I had had more time I would have done more still.

T'was a good day.

I said that the meaning of the cross was, "Back vampires, back!"
    Hehe, brilliant!
    Everyone should've done something like that!

I got a bit carried away in the very last section. I did the thing about the places of worship, and said something like the saints on the stained glass windows seem as if they're going to come alive and come down from the window to you. :p

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Moron? Mom? What is with all the American lingo?

Moron:I dont think this board allows swearing,so thats all I could think of.
    Mom:Everybody round here call their mothers Mom. :p

The religion was a doss.Although I used a lot of sarcasm and stuff so I probably lost marks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Can sarcasm really be seen in writing???
    "yea...sure you are. Alright, whatever you say." :confused:

Can sarcasm really be seen in writing???
    "yea...sure you are. Alright, whatever you say." :confused:
    :( yes it can.

i was stuck for time nearly i had 10 minutes to scrawl through the comprehension which i left to the end

Stuck for time? I left early with having done extra questions. That exam was the easiest Religion exam in years. My last, too. All done now. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When asked for another way young people express religious meaning I said, "Some young people make posters that say, "I Heart God!", "Jesus Is Metal," and so forth. I know I do!"
    Someone's been reading Penny Arcade again. :)
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/pennyarcade/7410/

• Advertisement

N.... N..... N..... No! :o

Advertisement