Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318 Automatic - Opinions please

Options
  • 13-06-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I spent some time in the states last year and got quite used to the "Luxuries" of automatic gearboxes and air-con, neither of which I have ever had on a car I owned here. I decided I would really like both on my next car here. We are moving house shortly and moving the mortgage is going to free up a bit of money if we so wish and I'm considering changing the car at the same time as once the move is complete it will be a lot harder to find the money without getting back into car loans and the like.

Trouble now is I'm very limited in options. I'm not a big fan of Japanese cars (thereby cutting out probably two thirds of my options). I don't do a lot of mileage, only 6k last year, so fuel consumption is not a huge consideration, but tax and insurance is so it has to be under two litres. Regardless of the last comment on fuel I feel that your average 1.4l shopping trolley is not able for an automatic gearbox and only gets one when it is bought for a woman who can't drive (so sue me!).

So from scouring the classifieds the only option I can see myself being happy with is a BMW 318 (e46 model). Another (possible) benefit of this car seems to be that people who fork out the extra couple of grand for an auto also seem happy to spend on other extras such as climate control over standard A/C etc. Obvious downside is the price! Going from my '02 Seat Leon to an '00 beemer is likely to cost me up to €8k.

So my questions are:
    1. Am I mad?
    2. Can anyone shed any light on what an automatic 3 series is like to live with/maintain?
    3. Is it reasonable to assume that depreciation will be lighter on the beemer?
    4. Mileage seems to be high on most 3 series in the classifieds but what is considered high for that car?

I'll probably be back with more later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a quick note to those who I need not name- keep it comments ON topic and free of snide.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't go 318 auto. If it has to be a '00 E46 auto, the 320 auto would be the better choice. Only 100cc more engine capacity so insurance and tax would only be a fraction higher

Having said that, I suggest you'd give us a little more info. Does it have to be a BMW? If so, does it have to be a 3-series? What NCB do you have and what's your age? Imho second hand 3-series, especially 4 cylinder models, represent bad value for money so high depreciation for second / third owner. If you do your sums, it might not cost you a cent more to buy a vastly superior car, a '00 E39 523 automatic loaded with goodies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

No, it needn't be a BMW but there's not as much choice of anything else with an auto box without going for a big barge. I am open to any suggestions I may not have thought of though.
    I'm 33 with an NCB of 40 or 50 percent.
    The six pot beemer would be better but there's even fewer of them and therefore fewer still automatics. I had thought of bringing one in from the UK but there's so much choice there it hurts my thinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might want to look at a Merc C-Class if your thinking of autos. From what I have heard the Merc auto is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

milltown wrote:
    No, it needn't be a BMW but there's not as much choice of anything else with an auto box without going for a big barge. I am open to any suggestions I may not have thought of though.

Here I go again. You'd think I had shares in Volvo, but how about an S40. Autoboland in Waterford have 1 and 2 year old autos regularly, (ex fleet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

How about a Hyundai Sonata, a well stocked car that comes with a 4 speed auto on the 2 litre, such as this one http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=251885

Advertisement