Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband and POP3 mail question

• 13-06-2005 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

over the past 2-3 days there is a problem with outlook express downloading my mail from the server i checked with my hosting provider and they said it might be my ISP. anyone else having trouble with it ?

BWT the error read
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.davidstokes.com', Server: 'mail.davidstokes.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like a timeout.

POP3 to mail.davidstokes.com is working for me at the moment though. I'm out in Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

ummm ,, timeout.. how long would it take to time out ,, this happens within a few seconds, as if there was a wrong setting, but i haven't changed the settings

i just checked it takes about 20-25 seconds for it to come up,, looking at it it may be timeout, but i have no idea why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Maybe the mailserver (mail.davidstokes.com) is having problems - refusing connections / downtime etc.

You could always phone ntl tech support and see if ntl are blocking the connection but I don't see why they would.

Did you make any changes to your firewall settings (hardware or software) recently?

Can you check your email on any other mail servers?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm 90% sure it is your firewall blocking it. Disable it and try again.

• Advertisement

I can check my mail online as well.

I logged on in work and i could download the e-mails.

it could be the firewall.. but i didnt edit anything, i'll check when i get home.

I think i'm going mad,, now i cant access my FTP keeps timing out.

I turned Mcafee off still not working,

and i know windows has a firwall aswell , but i cant find it now. i did this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/icf.mspx

but in figure 7 the advance tab is not there, it was before, dont know where it is now, so i cant turn off the firewall.. anyone got any ideas.

i downloaded the latest windows service pack. and it's still not working,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Did you try use the IP of the mail server? Or even telnet to connect to it?

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: davidstokes.com
    Address: 207.44.232.119
    Aliases: mail.davidstokes.com

Thats the IP,

And open up telnet and use

open 207.44.232.119 110

Make sure you include the 110 or it will just default connect to port 23 (telnet) which IMO shouldn't be open on any internet facing system

i dont know how to do this.
    TimTim wrote:
    Did you try use the IP of the mail server? Or even telnet to connect to it?

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: davidstokes.com
    Address: 207.44.232.119
    Aliases: mail.davidstokes.com

Thats the IP,

And open up telnet and use

open 207.44.232.119 110

Make sure you include the 110 or it will just default connect to port 23 (telnet) which IMO shouldn't be open on any internet facing system

• Advertisement

anyone know how i could fix this, I can't even access my FTP no , i have to upload some new sites and stuff, i can live without downloading my emails. but the ftp i have to get working,

....bump

on the phone with NTL tech support for about 30 miutes, they dont know whats wrong and cant fix it , ahhh

you wont belive this,,, after speaking with my Hosting "tech support" yesterday for about 30 minutes a guy call peter said it was a problem with my ISP so i rang them a few minutes ago and i was talking to a lovly lady from NTL support, tried her best but couldnt find a problem, said it might be my hosting provider, so once again i went to my hosting provider and told them i was speaking to my ISP and they had no problems and the signal was getting blocked on there side,,, he asked for my IP and had it fixed in seconds,,,,, because my IP address started with an 86. there server was blocking it, he unbloked the 86. and it worked.....

what a trip.. but i'm happy it's working,

causal wrote:
    Maybe the mailserver (mail.davidstokes.com) is having problems - refusing connections / downtime etc.
    causal
    If I could suggest that 4 days ago and be right :) , why the hell couldn't davidstokes check it when you reported the problem to them in the first place rather than bump you to check with your ISP? - Very slack on their part :(

Good you're sorted again :)

causal

causal wrote:
    If I could suggest that 4 days ago and be right :) , why the hell couldn't davidstokes check it when you reported the problem to them in the first place rather than bump you to check with your ISP? - Very slack on their part :(

Good you're sorted again :)

causal

I am David Stokes. My hosting procides are ehostpros.com

Doh! :o LOL :D
    So why the hell didn't ehostpros.com check it in the first place, rather than immediately direct you to your ISP.

causal

No idea,, i guess the tech support guy that was on at that time didnt really know what he was talking about,

Advertisement