Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie to wireless

• 13-06-2005 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a wireless broadband router so i can use my laptop around my house. Which one should I look at? I was looking at this LinkSys one on Komplett. Would this be easy to set up? What would the range be on it? I presume I'll still need to connect my modem to it. I've heard people complain about dropped connections, are these frequent?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I have the same router you posted the link,

Never had any problems with it, dropped connections haven't noticed them - Have it up and running for the last two months

The way i have it setup is the following,

Modem - Connected to the WAN port on the router - Laptop connects wireless, Work laptop connected to port 1 on router, Set the router to dhcp - laptops and desktops recieve there Ip's that way.

Configured the SSID on the router, Enabled / Wpa /Mac Filter (permit only)

Set SSID to broadcast for the first time , Laptop picks up the ssid , connect to it using the password you set on the router ,

Disable ssid broadcast,

Reboot laptop everytime i reboot connects automatic :)

Just bought a pci linksys speedbooster nic, for the desktop set it up the same way haven't had any problems.

User manual and documentation is quite good and clear on what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I picked up a Canyon wireless router in Marx today and i have it working, but not secured. In the security settings on the router, it has:
    WEP
    802.1x
    802.1x WEP static key
    WPE Pre shared key
    and WPA RADIUS.

Which one of these is more secure? Theres also alot of sum options for each, will I leave them default, or change them?

Cheers.

i would go with wpa pre shared -

Don't leave it open for anyone to connect -

Remember disable SSID broadcast and maybe add mac filtering

TKIP or AIS? Also, Does it matter what format the key is in? Do i just enter my own, or does it generate one for me? How do i set the WPA up in windows, or does windows do it automatically?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

bennyx_o wrote:
    TKIP or AIS? Also, Does it matter what format the key is in? Do i just enter my own, or does it generate one for me? How do i set the WPA up in windows, or does windows do it automatically?

Cheers.

TKIP will do -
    AES is stronger encryption

How to set it up - right click the network icon right bottom

Select view wireless networks

When it detects your network.
    On the right handside select "change advanced settings"

When that open select "wireless networks"
    under preffered networks select your network -
    click properties -

In there select "data encryption" select "TKIP"

Enter the password below that.
    (it should be the same as the one you set in the wirelass tab under security)

Under "Connection tab" select "connect when this network is in range"

Cheers for that. Set up now. Should I enable MAC addresses, or would i need to?

depends on how paranoid you are -

I had mine set that way, with ssid disabled, wpa tkip

Now i have just flashed my router with a hacked firmware and update the nic driver from intel, overclocked the processor to 214Mhz

Router now supports wpa2 encryption !!! and the nic driver support wpa2 encryption!!
    :D:D:D

Still have mac filter enabled

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bennyx_o wrote:
    I'm looking to get a wireless broadband router so i can use my laptop around my house. Which one should I look at? I was looking at this LinkSys one on Komplett. Would this be easy to set up? What would the range be on it? I presume I'll still need to connect my modem to it. I've heard people complain about dropped connections, are these frequent?

Cheers.

I know you have since made your purchase but for anyone else thinking of doing something similar you can get the Linksys Wag 54g adsl 2 ready gateway in IT Direct in Parliament St for 107 euro. Its an 'all in one unit' very easy to set up and it would make you future proof if you are thinking of getting Smart at some stage. Smart chare 140 euro for their wireless router according to the website.

TBH I'm not too paranoid. I know of only 2 hours that have pcs/laptops in my immediate area, and they don't have wireless. If I do find people connecting I'll enable MAV filtering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement