Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Withers Appreciation Thread.

• 14-06-2005 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

A true unsung hero..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

absolutely-there's a really nice version of "Quiet Storm" on the new Motown remixed album. Even though he had a couple of big hits in the 70/early 80s, you are dead right-some of his earlier stuff is never talked about anymore. There was a really cool interview with him in Mojo magazine last year where he was expressing his distance from the music industry. I'd say there must be some royalties comin in from some of his hits though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Definitely.. Aint No Sunshine, Lean on Me and Use Me Up would all be huge money Spinners. Amazing song writer. I cant write left handed and Friend of mine Live from Carnegie Hall are steeped in Genius. StevieG. That article available online anywhere do yah know?

Sajan wrote:
    Definitely.. Aint No Sunshine, Lean on Me and Use Me Up would all be huge money Spinners. Amazing song writer. I cant write left handed and Friend of mine Live from Carnegie Hall are steeped in Genius. StevieG. That article available online anywhere do yah know?

I'm not sure but i know Mojo magazine is on-line leave me have a google for ya!

Yeah can't find anything on it their website seems to be just music forums i'm afraid maybes someone could help there maybe i'm pretty sure i got rid of my copy think it was published about a year or so ago.

Board is pretty dead so i hope no one minds me posting that i have a mix featuring one of the better known tracks by the might Bill Withers in my black on Red show tonight (Sat) on Corks RedFM 104-106. Listen on line at www.redfm.ie Its a mellow soul brothers mix, got one for the soul sisters next week! :rolleyes:

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes-I Miss You
    The Persuaders-Thin Line Between Love and Hate
    Stevie Wonder-Never Dreamed You'd leave in Summer
    R Kelly-When a Womans Fed Up
    Musiq Soulchild-Seventeen
    Jaheim-Lookin For Love
    Raheem De Vaughan-Guess who Loves ya more
    Bill Withers-Ain't No Sunshine
    The Dramatics-In the Rain
    The Delfonics-Didn't I blow your mind
    The Impressions-I'm so Proud
    John Legend-Ordinary People
    Dwele-I Want You
    Al Green-I'm Still in love With You
    Curtis Mayfield-Trippin Out'
    Marcus Miller-Much too Much
    Marvin Gaye-I Want You Re-Edit
    Michael Jackson-I Can't Help It Re-Edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

appreciated!!!! amazing man, some of his arrangements still sound ahead of their time to me... lovely voice.

i must refrain from telling the story about the man who walks ito a pub with a thirsty duck who can sing "lovely day"

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Get live at Carnegie Hall (someone already mentioned it) if you can. I think it's only a tenner in Tower. One of the best live albums ever. I didn't own any of his stuff before hearing that. I'd always connsidered him inferior to his peers. Couldn't have been more wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

How do you turn a Duck into a Soul Singer?

Put it in an oven until it's Bill Withers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

yeah he's great alright. I'll have to tell that joke the next chance I get ;)

anyone know if his band remainded the same? or did he just get in session musicians when he needed to record?

thanks.

Advertisement