Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB, Digital Hub, Problems Anyone?

• 14-06-2005 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I been using IBB Breeze 2mb(?) for the past month and up untill this weekend everything was fairly ok. Was never getting great transfere from this connection, averaging only about 150KB/s on a good day. But now it has gone completely to hell with average of only 20KB/s. I tried downloads from many dif sources eg. XPSP2 from MS and a bunch of stuff from ftp.esat.net along with many others just to make sure it aint sources that are low on bandwidth. But no matter how many d/l are running I average only 20KB to 25KB/s. Ping times are still great with 15ms average to jolt.co.uk, at least so long as nothing is downloading. If a download is running then it averages bout 500ms. I use a pretty good firewall on my net which handles all my routing and translation and other such crud and can see plainly that absolutly nothing is interfering with the connection on my side. This is not the only problem, for the second month running IBB has charged me for an incorrect product. First they charged me for ripwave and breeze(1mb), now they're chargin for breeze 1mb again. Dunno how many times you got to tell these monkeys what product it is you've ordered but so far it's more than 2 and they still havn't got it. I can't help but feel that they have decided on my behalf that I do not need 2mb connection without so much as asking me. I just spent 10 mins on hold to these bums before giving up and am about to send a snotty email, for all the good it'll do.

My question is,
    Is anyone else with IBB on digital hub(Guinnesses) node getting this crap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I noticed my connection was all over the place yesterday, but i think it was OK over the weekend. It could be related to the work they are about to carry out on several of their highsites.

I'm on tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I noticed my connection was all over the place yesterday, but i think it was OK over the weekend. It could be related to the work they are about to carry out on several of their highsites.

I'm on tallaght.

I was the same, the pings goes crazy in two of thier routers in the Tallagh exachange before it goes to the INEX. It was great over the weekend! hold tight during the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have been getting really bad download recently. Sub ISDN speeds. Phoned on Friday spoke to a helpful girl. She "tweaked" my radio and now I get close to 3MB up and .5MB down if I am lucky, usually less [edit: I am on Breeze 1MB]. I have made another call today and have to do some tests when I get home. I am on the Rochestown (sp?) mast.

Oh the bloke mentioned there is a big problem on the Ballycoolin mast.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 IDUBasher

Finaly got trough to someone after a bit of holding and seems they have installed the wrong connection after all, what a surprise. This, even though I stated on at least 2 seperate occasions previously that I was looking for the 2mb package. They apologised and said they'd sort it out and for now I suppose that is fair enough.

As for the very low bandwidth, I can only hope that it is down to upgrading. The tech guy didn't mention anything about upgrades but did say guinnesses is being very heavily contended right now and that it's their bussiest area etc. I'm finding myself a bit suspicious about this because ping times are not suffering at all? Surely they'd be the first thing to go if they're being overloaded? I'm not up to scratch on the technical side of things so didn't want to say anything at the time. Hopefully they'll just get it sorted out as soon as possible.

Quick question or two for those in the know,
    Is there a clear definition of contention anywhere? Is there a point where it becomes restriction rather than contention?

And something I completely forgot to ask while on the phone, do they have to install new radio equip for 2mb or is the change only on their side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you got your connection installed within the last few months, then you need no new equipment, its a quick 20 second change they have to do on their side, followed by a reboot of your IBB box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

MrPudding wrote:
    Oh the bloke mentioned there is a big problem on the Ballycoolin mast.

MrP

that could explain a lot of the problems with speed (or lack of) that I am experiencing with my Breeze package - I am on Ballycollin Mast. This started to happen to me last wednesday evening and hasnt been right since.

As mentioned many times before a simple courtesy email to let customers know whats goin on would go a long way - of late my rating of IBB Breeze and their service has drastically reduced but yet we still pay full whack each month. :mad:

Advertisement