Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science FT228 - Year 2

Options
  • 14-06-2005 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Can someone tell me would it be possible to work 12.30-4.30 while doing a degree in CS (year 2)? Last year I only went to about 4 hours of lectures a week and did most of the lab work at home. I passed my exams. The reason I am asking is because I have an interview for a job tomorrow and they are looking for someone permanent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Better bump this up as interview tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i am in first year aswell. I have heard that second year is when most of the course work is done. I looked at the timetable and it looked pretty much 9-4 with a hour at lunch.

Depends on yourself if you can do it. YOu could give it till october and see how you are finding it, then just quit the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

2nd year is probably the toughest of the 4 years, do you plan on working those hours 5 days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Repli wrote:
    2nd year is probably the toughest of the 4 years, do you plan on working those hours 5 days a week?
    Say that after 4th yr! :)
    OP be warned. 2nd year is a huge step up from first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Can someone tell me would it be possible to work 12.30-4.30 while doing a degree in CS (year 2)?

No it isn't. First year to second year was an enormous step up for my class, I assume its still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Hey, I just did 2nd year of that course. I did not attent many lectures at all but some of the subjects require you to attend the class in order to get a mark for the CA. I passes all but one of the subjects will very little work but thats all i did was pass, did not get anything special. All i would say is try VERY VERY hard in all the assignmanes as they will help you a LOT in the exams.

If you have any more questions just post up...

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Hey, I just did 2nd year of that course. I did not attent many lectures at all ...
    In our meeting with the external examiners they actually mentioned that second year has been made much easier than it was a couple of years ago. Consider yourself lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah I know they made the data comms course much easier for this years 2nd years, I was in the 2nd year the year before and over 50 people failed it out of a class of like 75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Repli wrote:
    Yeah I know they made the data comms course much easier for this years 2nd years, I was in the 2nd year the year before and over 50 people failed it out of a class of like 75
    LOL i still failed it this year tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

2nd year is a pain, but having said that i worked weekends during it and did alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

I'll throw my hat in here only about six weeks too late...

I've just finished second year and did reasonably well but the amount of work IS HORRIFIC. I've known people who exploded half way through the year, it was a messy messy sight but it made me laugh.

In all seriousness though it is stupidly difficult compared to first year and you'll really have to try hard and attend most of the lectures if you want to do anything other than barely pass. Alternatively you can just hold fire for a year or so, apparently after this coming year they're reviewing the course and have a major emphasis on better balancing and transition from first year to second to third to fourth. I think it's in an effort to stop the stupid haemorrage of people from the course at the beginning of second year. That's what the boss said anyway...

P.S.
    Dave! I'm posting! It's only taken a year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Cheers for the replies. I didn't realise I hadn't replied already. Anyway, I got the job and I told the manager the situation. She thinks I'll more than likely be continuing after September but after reading the replies I certainly won't be. :)

I didn't realise how tough the step up was as I just strolled through 1st year without studying until the exams. Since I have a month and a half until 2nd year begins, what could I do to give myself a head start? This is from the DIT site:

Object Oriented Programming, Microprocessors, Software Engineering, Data Communications, Web Development 1, Introduction to Data Modeling and Relational Databases, Operating Systems, Algorithms and Data Structures, Applied Mathematics for Computing, Financial Accounting, Marketing.

What would be the best tutorials (preferably video and willing to pay) for any of the above subjects. Just done a google for Object Oriented Programming and found this:
    http://print.google.ie/print?id=Miq73i_J1i4C&dq=Object+Oriented+Programming&oi=print&pg=PA1&sig=kvvcHYJZT326531uai00Yy1jihc&prev=http://www.google.ie/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3DObject%2BOriented%2BProgramming%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26meta%3D

So what would be the best tutorials? What are the toughest subjects? Is the programming just C++? Any info would help.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

irish life wrote:
    Cheers for the replies. I didn't realise I hadn't replied already. Anyway, I got the job and I told the manager the situation. She thinks I'll more than likely be continuing after September but after reading the replies I certainly won't be. :)

I didn't realise how tough the step up was as I just strolled through 1st year without studying until the exams. Since I have a month and a half until 2nd year begins, what could I do to give myself a head start? This is from the DIT site:

Object Oriented Programming, Microprocessors, Software Engineering, Data Communications, Web Development 1, Introduction to Data Modeling and Relational Databases, Operating Systems, Algorithms and Data Structures, Applied Mathematics for Computing, Financial Accounting, Marketing.

What would be the best tutorials (preferably video and willing to pay) for any of the above subjects. Just done a google for Object Oriented Programming and found this:
    http://print.google.ie/print?id=Miq73i_J1i4C&dq=Object+Oriented+Programming&oi=print&pg=PA1&sig=kvvcHYJZT326531uai00Yy1jihc&prev=http://www.google.ie/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3DObject%2BOriented%2BProgramming%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26meta%3D

So what would be the best tutorials? What are the toughest subjects? Is the programming just C++? Any info would help.

Cheers.

As another option, there is an evening degree in Computer Science a lot like FT228, I think classes are from 7pm to 9pm.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/k268/

I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem letting you transfer...

Advertisement