Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Kangoo KAR ..how bad is it?

Options
  • 14-06-2005 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm considering getting a second hand Kangoo, not the van, the estate version.
    It would most likely be the older version with the 1.4 engine.

I know it's ugly, I know it's basic, I also know that it's not exactly the ultimate driving machine and has zero status or street cred.

But I don't really care ...I figure it would be just cheap, cheerful and immensely practical transport for two people and three dogs with low annual mileage requirements.

Generally their reputation for quality / reliability doesn't seem to be too good ...anybody can back this up with first- or second hand horror stories?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Hi, I drive a Kangoo van for work. I find it ugly, slow and nearly vomit every time I see it, but for some reason its very comfortable to drive. I can relax in the Kangoo more than I can in my car. Parallel parking is a doddle cause of the square shape of the van. Reliablity isn't fantastic but all of the problems that I've had in the past have been fixed. Overall, its not so bad. Much more comfortable for long jorney's than my car, thats for sure. Its just slow and ugly but practical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't think there are any major issues with the Kangoo 1.4. That engine is an 8 valve unit and is a bit gutless (75 bhp, same as a brand new VW Golf or Focus 1.4 16v) But it's tried and trusted and has remained pretty much unchanged since 1992 and can trace its origins back a few years before that. The rest of the car is a pretty simple design too. I believe it has a lot in common with the Clio and old Megane.

One potential problem is that given the Kangoo's practicality/boot space, owners may have used them as workhorses, overloaded the cargo area etc. Keep an eye out for signs of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

yup only one good thing...............
    seems to be comfortable

Advertisement