Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats??

Options
  • 14-06-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone out there doing repeats?

Does anyone know that if you sit repeat leaving cert exams and do worse than before can you stiget courses on your previous points.

My Story. I sat my leavin in 2002 and was 5 off my mark, now im sitting it again and i realised in feb that the course I want dropped 10 points last year. So essentially I already have the points for my first choice. Say I really mess up I am boned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

thats a toughie there grimes, i myself have no idea...but can u just repeat certain subjects do u know? like if i fail maths can i just resit that? or do u have to do the whole thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm repeating, having done the exams last year. AFAIK your points only last for the year you did your exams, and the year after. So in your case you'd need to have done the Leaving Cert in 2004 for your points to count. However, if you need certain requirements (a B3 in maths, a pass in Irish etc.) and you achieved those the first time around, there is no need to repeat those exams to try get them again, but you won't still have the points from them. Might want to check that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Grimes wrote:
    the course I want dropped 10 points last year. So essentially I already have the points for my first choice. Say I really mess up I am boned?

You could not possibly have the points already for your course as points have not been allocated to that, or any other course as of yet.

Whatever course you want could drop by 50 points or go up by 100 it's all relative to the amount of applicants vs places this year.

Points for a course only tend to stay around the same value from year to year based on a few things.
    1.There has to be the same amount of actual places available as the year(s) before
    2.The same number (ovn) of students doing the LC need to apply to course 'X' as the previous year(s).

For example Arts in DCU has, for agruements sake, been at roughly 450 points for the last 4 years. If this year only 30 people applied for that course then the points to 'get in' would drop to reflect the lowest score that was obtained by those 30 people.
    This is based on all 30 having passed whatever other requirements needed for the course HC3 in Maths or something to that effect.

The above reference has been made without me knowing what the actual points for Arts has been over the last 4 years. So relax a little if it doesn't look right.
    However the principle on how the points are allocated is correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

Sarah** wrote:
    thats a toughie there grimes, i myself have no idea...but can u just repeat certain subjects do u know? like if i fail maths can i just resit that? or do u have to do the whole thing?

If you were to do all your subjects this year (7,8 or whatever) and you got, let's say 555 points and that is well above what you need BUT you failed maths (or english or whatever subject you need to get a certain grade in), you can just resit the one (or 2 or 3...) exam(s) next year and use this years points. The points come from one sitting of the LC, the matriculation requirements can come from any year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ashdabash

I heard you have to use this years results u cant use previous years results!!!!sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement