Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages of unlocking a Nokia 6630

• 14-06-2005 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I got my nokia 6630 unlocked a few days ago. I emailed vodafone and asked them for the code and they gave it to me. But now I have it unlocked I dont see what the big advantage is of doing this, other than been able to use sim cards from other networks. The reason I got my phone unlocked was because I thought I would be able to use mp3's as ringtones. I know about the trick of using itunes to convert them to .aac but this can be a pain.

Can anbody tell me if there are any other advantage of having your phone unlocked other than been able to use sim cards from other networks :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

No. Unlocking just lets you use it on other networks
    What you need to get the mp3 issue sorted is to have the phone reflashed without the Vodafone s/w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

reflashed, where could i get that done, and any idea how much it will cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

What does reflashing do to the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

You can get your phone reflashed for free if its under warranty
    Just bring it to a Nokia service point
    Problem is, a lot of them might put the Nokia s/w on for you if you already have Vodafone software

Reflashing does various things to different phones. On the 6630, it allows you to use MP3's for ringtones and sorts out some bluetooth issues and allows you select between GSM and 3G on the earlier 6630 phones and a few other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

you can get your fone flashed from incartech in bray -012869773 or mprc in sandyford 012149200

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

the nokia centre in dawson st dublin 2 should do just nokia approved f/w...mprc will generally put the VF branded f/w onto it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

dawson st nokia center, are now putting the vodafone software back on it. dam that was a wasted trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Unlocked phones are more valuable as they can be sold to anybody on any net.
    Branded handsets like those rather crap motorola clamshells that voda are using are useless on non-vodafone networks.

For the 6630 get the generic nokia FW from a nokia service center, then you can customise it yourself by adding your own themes etc.

Advertisement