Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can you keep pork (sausages/rashers) in the fridge?

• 14-06-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

...before they are gone off? Going by the date on the packet, they are well in date, but do you have to eat them within a certain time after opening the packet?
    Merci

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

yes would say 3 days at the most mate
    bacteria forms on meat products after 2 days i think :eek:

smell it if theres a smell then chuck it in the bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Damn.
    Already put them on...havent eaten them thankfully :cool:

Turn the grill down please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

If they were in the fridge the whole time , go by the date!

• Advertisement

the date is air tight once you open it its 3 days for any meat! cooked or uncooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

*Page* wrote:
    the date is air tight once you open it its 3 days for any meat! cooked or uncooked

otherwise you may be sick for quite some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rashers are safer than sausages because they are cured, sausages otoh are a bacterial hotbed, especially if they are hanging around a while. The nose knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

sniff test.......... but I never trust opened packets more than one day unless frozen...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

ah boards.ie, where would we be without you? we should be lost in a sea of uncertainty regarding our pork products.ect. i salute thee! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sausages, I would keep no more than a few (2-3) days, and that would be in a re-sealable container. I wouldn't even consider sausages more than a few days old.

Rashers on the otherhand, I've kept over a week. As a previous poster said, they're already partly cured, as they're bacon (sausage is pork). When in doubt have a good look and a smell. The smell will be obvious, and rashers tend to get a green sheen when starting to go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

This thread has been voted " most interesting thread ever " by me. Boards.ie should now close down as this is the ultimate thread, it can't possibly get any better than this and its always better to end on a peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

zenith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

dudara wrote:
    Rashers on the otherhand, I've kept over a week. As a previous poster said, they're already partly cured, as they're bacon (sausage is pork).
    lol, is bacon not pork then? :) Shouldn't the cooking process kill off any harmful bateria on the food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

What about if you quickly wrap the opened pack of sausages in cling film? I always do this anyway with uncooked meat, but am now wondering if this means they'll keep a little bit longer in the fridge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

CodeMonkey wrote:
    lol, is bacon not pork then? :) Shouldn't the cooking process kill off any harmful bateria on the food?

the heat, once high enough will kill off the bacteria upon cooking. BUT... THATS NOT ALL YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT...
    while the bacteria existed and multiplied on your sausages, they metabolised, as do all living things. during the process of their metabolism, they would have secreted their toxins directly onto your meat. although effective cooking will destroy the remainder of the bacteria, many of the huge number of bacterial toxins are quite heat stable, and as such, would remain on the meat after cooking. a lot of those toxins are quite dangerous to humans and taken in high enough dosages, may lead to an episode of toxicosis which could see you in hospital, or worse. point to note... many of those toxins dont impart any characteristic or noticable changes such as smell, taste or appearance, in the meat, so you need to be careful as to using these to make decisions on the palatability of meat products.

i say... if in doubt, throw them out!
    sausages aren't that expensive anyway.
    try to rotate your meat better the next time... ie, dont just throw everything in the fridge when you get home from shopping. freeze any meat (in portions that you would typically use at once) that you dont expect to eat within 3 days, and, should you want it say tomorrow... simply take it from the freezer and place it in the fridge the night before to defrost. economise. dont waste food if it can be avoided. some people dont have any food to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

well you can keep them there for as long as you want, how long after you open them that you can eat them is a completely different story. i'd go with 3 days, or next time go to the butchers counter and only buy what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I always stick to a simple rule when dealing with potentially gone off food. If when I open the door of the fridge it walks off the shelf, into the bin it goes. Otherwise it's mmm mmm good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

feck it, eat them, sure whats the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

3 days! :eek:

It would not be unusual for me to eat sausages/rashers 5+ days old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Mear wrote:
    zenith.

Au Contraire! Nadir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Ciaran500 wrote:
    3 days! :eek:

It would not be unusual for me to eat sausages/rashers 5+ days old.

Yeah me too, I've eaten some right rotten **** in my time, and the worst thing that happens is a sore stomach and a case of the ****s.... I've certainly eaten food that was in the fridge for over a week (opened). Don't worry so much about these things, the world is turning into a scaremongering-fest.

Throughout history and human evolution, I reckon your ancestors ate worse stuff and survived. ;)

Only thing to be careful of is uncooked chicken, since my mate Pighead got salmonella poisoning and was in hospital on a commode for two weeks crapping and puking his guts out (oh to have seen that).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aren't Irish sausages 94% bread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The human race is on the verge of extinction because we are rapidly replacing our immune systems with pro-biotic yogart drinks and becoming so obsessed with disinfecting everything that our bodies can no longer fight off the simplest of ailments.* Eat the sausages, it's not like a sausage can hurt you.**

*May not be true and just the rants of a raving madman.
    **Also may not be true, take with a pinch of salt. Actually make that lots of salt as it'll disguise the foul taste of out of date sausages.

Seriously though, I don't see the harm in it if the sausages are still in date. This 3 day thing is bollox. Cooked or uncooked meat always stays in my fridge till it reaches it's use by date. Just remember to separate the cooked and uncooked products into different containers and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

My mother keeps sossies in the fridge for up to 2 weeks since opening, likewise with rashers and black & white puddings. I've never got ill or anything... I don't believe that they should be thrown out after 3 days.
    And honestly, whos going to have eaten a full pack of sausages in three days?!

Advertisement