Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG ZS - Would I be mental

Options
  • 14-06-2005 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I drove the MG ZS above last week and again this morning and I was very impressed with it. I think it looks very well. It has a good MPG (35-40ish). Good size for the family.

In terms of driving, it's a 1.8. It's not mad powerful but it has enough for me. The biggest plus for me is it's road holding. It is very very solid on the road. Great holding.

Also it's very good value. They are looking for 13k for the one I'm looking at. I reckon I could get it for as low as 11.5 though. That's a 02 car from a main dealer, with a full service history, just serviced, 33k miles and a 6 month warranty.

But with Rover just gone bust, would I be mental to buy an MG now. Will it be worth nothing more than Scrap metal in two years time....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

If I were you, i would buy a scoobie. More pwerful, plenty of space for kids. Or at least I wouldn buy an MG....for any money..ppl will laugh at the fool who bought a worthless car. I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would expect a 12 month warranty with a 3 year old car but no dealer in his right mind will give you that on a 3 year old Rover.

Remember the MG ZS is based on the 10 or 11 year old Rover 400 so no matter what spoilers, large alloys or side skirts MG put on to it this will not change.

IMO I would look around at something else, I think even €11.5k is too much to pay for one given the fact that they will be probably worth next to nothing in a year or two.

Don't know how much truth there is in this but I have been told that some dealers are even refusing to take them as trade-ins now after the calapse. Again don't know how true this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

rover no longer exists, and so while you'll be able to get parts for quite some time through third parties, when spares start to dry up (especially for the likes of the MG's that have uprated components and would be relatively low volume) the car will be worth nothing.

personally, i think you'd be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

There's a big difference between Rover and MG now. The fact is that materially, Rover does not exist any more as the holding company "Phoenix" has liquidated Rover but not MG. MG still lives on!!

But as far as buying a Rover or MG, spare parts will continued to be produced by some Asian Company, not sure who. We will probably see Rover cars again in the future but under a different "brand" name.

There's nothing wrong with MG cars so long as they have been maintained properly always insist on a full service history to ensure a avail warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

kluivert wrote:
    MG still lives on!!

the brand lives on, but as far as im aware, production on MG's has ceased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kluivert wrote:
    There's a big difference between Rover and MG now. The fact is that materially, Rover does not exist any more as the holding company "Phoenix" has liquidated Rover but not MG. MG still lives on!!

But as far as buying a Rover or MG, spare parts will continued to be produced by some Asian Company, not sure who. We will probably see Rover cars again in the future but under a different "brand" name.

There's nothing wrong with MG cars so long as they have been maintained properly always insist on a full service history to ensure a avail warranty.

Most of the MG model line up were rebadged existing old Rover models with the exception of the MG-TF. These were all built at the Longbridge plant which closed when MG Rover colapsed. While MG might have been slightly more profitable than the Rover brand it has ceased trading also. You don't see too many companies fighting over who buys the MG brand name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I'm still fair tempted. It was a lovely car to drive. The only thing that has changed in my head now is that I wouldn't pay as much for it. If I can get it (or a similar one) for around 9 K I might jump...

Keep in touch, and next year Ill take it off your hands for 3000. :D

Kersh wrote:
    Keep in touch, and next year Ill take it off your hands for 3000. :D

Can I get that in writing....?

Ye'll be glad to hear that I took all the advice I got here and I bought an...... MS ZS. Ahhhhhhhhh....feck it. I got one in Dublin last weekend for 8.5k. A 02 with 40k miles and a 6 month warranty. Sure it's hardly a massive investment at that price and if I don't like it I should get it's price back no problem in a few months.

• Advertisement

8.5K... fair play. Got yourself a nice motor so. At that price, you are right its not the end of the world if it depreciates a lot. Hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BnA wrote:
    I got one in Dublin last weekend for 8.5k. A 02 with 40k miles and a 6 month warranty

That's a good deal. Good luck with your new car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

pics of the new baby?

Advertisement