Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

honesty on liverpools behalf

• 14-06-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

http://www.bootroom.org/forum/portal.php?topic_id=5480

this man seems to write alot of sense but only time will tell what next season has to offer for liverpool, in my eyes id be happy if we could just challenge for the title, just get into second or third and anything better is a bonus, need to be up with the elite, if we can do that it shows we are on the up and things are changing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

I just think that there's too much quality ahead of Liverpool for them to jump to 2nd or 3rd considering they finished so far behind last season. To finish 2nd they require a huge improvement from Liverpool and a big slip from United and Arsenal (Arsenal especially). 4th is certainly in their reach however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i think with the right signings liverpool could challenge next year but they couldnt have picked a worse year for the "rafalution". man united and arsenal will raise their games significantly next year. ferguson or wenger dont like to be beaten and they know what they have to achieve this year to beat chelsea.

so liverpool will need a huge improvement but their are alot of names linked with the pool at the moment so i certainly wont be writing them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's a logical and reasonable read, and all prefectly achievable. Lets hope that it goes that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i think liverpool are gonna take man uniteds number 3 spot in the premiership

benitez knows the english game much more now and hes not going to do anymore ridiculous signings like josemi or pelligrino any time soon and he seems focused on clearing out the junk from the squad this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

he seems focused on clearing out the junk from the squad this summer

Thanks be to God. Off with you Smicer, and Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I don't know if a leap in premiership form is truly possible - since we're playing so many extra games with what is, in fairness, a very thin squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah see you later Smicer, you were bloody awful. Oh and thanks for the goal that brought us back into the CL final :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Interesting article. Its good to see Liverpool getting back to a high standard. It can only enliven the battle at the top of the premiership. It will be a few years yet though i reckon before they seriously challenge for the title. Still, things can only get better eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

all i want is to win the title if i was given a choice with another champions league or the title , id chooce the title deff, id be happy if we won nothing and came 3rd then it shows we are on the up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I don't think Liverpool will break into the top 3, I think they will break into the top 4, i.e. come close to catching up with Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd.
    I'd say they might reach about 70 points, maybe even 75.
    That said, I think United/Arsenal/Chelsea are all gona be over the 80/85 mark next year, as they are all gona start off running, and seriously running.

Liverpool got rid of a lot of dead weight this summer, and thats great. However they are only replacing the weight, and it won't be till the following summer that they can expand the squad to a serious challenging level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Personally don't think they are even close to the top 3. They are capable of raising their game for big games(CL proved this) but don't have the squad to cope with the PL. Most of Benitezs of signing are not up to the standard. Nunez,Josemi,Pellegrino(since gone) and Garcia(not his CL form but PL form). Kewell is not up to it either and Hypiias best days are gone. Thats 5 players not up to standard that are not going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Quick question: Would you consider Arsenal top three material if they replaced Henry with Owen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

all else reaming the same and it was the Owen of a few years ago - yes, more so though if they added Owen to Henry

Arsenal put a price on Henry of €50M when Barcelona made an enquiry. Eto'o is talking himself out of Barcelona at the moment because he wants the club to match the money on offer at Chelsea. Laporta still has the €55M offer from Chelsea and will accept it if Rijkaard feels that the player is going to unsettle the team. If they decide to get rid of Eto'o then they'll be looking for a high profile replacement.

PHB wrote:
    While I don't think Liverpool will break into the top 3, I think they will break into the top 4, i.e. come close to catching up with Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd.
    I'd say they might reach about 70 points, maybe even 75.
    That said, I think United/Arsenal/Chelsea are all gona be over the 80/85 mark next year, as they are all gona start off running, and seriously running.
    Benitez wants 75-78 points next season - that's Man Utds spot in the table currently.

If you seriously think that Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are all going to reach 80/85 points then get down to the bookies and put some money down - you'll make a killing if it happens. In the past 10 seasons only two teams have reached the 80 point mark and not won the league - Liverpool and Arsenal.

2001/2002
    Arsenal 87
    Liverpool 80
    Manchester United 77

2004/5
    Chelsea 95
    Arsenal 83
    Manchester United 77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Liverpool will take Uniteds 3rd place this season, Then maybe next year tackle the Big 2 Arsenel and Chelsea.
    This should be no problem with a 3 good signings(goalkeeper badly needed), and especially as united are gradually loosing their touch, this season will be a nightmare for them, as the previous 2 have been, their a spent force..
    Liverpool will capitalise, but as for Arsenel and Chelsea, these will be harder nuts to crack

I love people writing United off, its hilariously typical of Liverpool fans :)
    What have Liverpool done this season to suggest whatsoever they can challenge this season?

---

I think with Owen Arsenal would be unreal, losing Henry however would be a massive massive blow as he is their best player by a long long long long way imo.

---

I know Bannor.
    But just take last season:

2004/5
    Chelsea 95
    Arsenal 83
    Manchester United 77

United were 3 points off the 80 season mark, and they were considered to have an utter ****e season.
    Next season all 3 of the top teams know it is a sprint from start to finish, and all teams will consider every game a must win game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TheMonster wrote:
    Nunez,Josemi,Pellegrino(since gone) and Garcia(not his CL form but PL form). Kewell is not up to it either and Hypiias best days are gone. Thats 5 players not up to standard that are not going anywhere.
    Only one of those players I would imagine will be a first choice starter next year, Garcia.

What was wrong with Garcia's PL form? Too many goals and assists? He might not be the strongest player, but he is only going to improve on this next year, and if he provides the same finished product as this year he will have an amazing year.

Im sure you dont doubt C.Ronaldo's PL form, in fact I bet you think it was great. Garcia got more goals and assists than him, and probably lost the ball only just as much. Id be confident that Garcia will have a great year next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whether Liverpool crack the top 3 is up to the other teams. Im fairly positive Chelsea and Arsenal will put in great seasons again and Man U certainly have the potential to do so (definately wouldn't write them off anything) but if any of them slip up i do feel 'Pool will be nipping at their heels next season. I think most fans would be happy with 4th if the top 3 are on good form and we're within a stones throw of them. Once the gap is lessened its the perfect launch pad to refine the team and really challange the top dogs from there on. Of course, In My Opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

PHB wrote:
    I love people writing United off, its hilariously typical of Liverpool fans :)
    What have Liverpool done this season to suggest whatsoever they can challenge this season?

---

Three words

Champions league winners

Still makes me smile

What have united done???03/04, 04/05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I reckon Liverpool will keep losing games to crap teams all season again just like they did this season. United lost a few alright, but not half as many.

Liverpools defense is very very weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Draupnir wrote:
    I reckon Liverpool will keep losing games to crap teams all season again just like they did this season. United lost a few alright, but not half as many.

Liverpools defense is very very weak.
    I'd certainly agree if there was no changes over the Summer. Liverpool certainly need to change things about a lot more then United and when you go ripping apart a team there's no gaurantee that you'll actually improve things.

At the same token, given that we will be changing personel I don't really see how you can argue that it'll be the same again from Liverpool. Our manager will be tactically more astute in the league this season and similar to United we should have a new goalkeeper in place. We probably need players in a few other positions also so I reckon we'll have to wait and see how things work out...

Ok, and how does the fact they won 4 ties in a cup run relate to their ability to preform consistantly over 38 matches?
    Also how does it relate to their inability to preform when they are not the underdogs?
    Liverpool right now can't beat Crystal Palace away in the Winter, and thats why they won't win.

I could say how great it is that United beat Arsenal twice in the league this year, but it doesn't mean ****. They finished above us in the table cause its about beating every single ****e team, not winning the big matches. Liverpool don't have the consistancy to do it, and even if they rip apart the team, there is no way they can gel instantly in order to challenge, which is what they will need to do next year to have any shot at the title

--

This arguement that Benetiz didn't understand the english game is crap, he understood it perfectly, just like Mourinho did.
    The problem was with the squad, and the players just not being good enough, not with Benetiz in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

In defense, you need a goalkeeper and two centre backs. I dont rate Carragher or Hyppia. If Finnan gets locked up he needs replacing too. Riise is a great player, but id like to see him on the left wing, unless Kewell starts playing.

Alonso, Gerrard and Garcia will do in midfield, depends on Kewell. Up front, Morientes and Cisse aint bad.

5/6 players and youve got the guts of a top three team there.

Tactically, I think Benitez is brilliant in Europe, he always has been, in the Premier League last season, he was caught out a lot. He sorts that out and they are ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Three words

Champions league winners

Still makes me smile

What have united done???03/04, 04/05

Ah don't go turning this into a Liverpool v United thread, typical. I'm happy for Liverpool fans that they won the CL last season but that's got little to do with performing consistently over a full league season has it? Anybody who thinks Liverpool will just walk into third place next season before any real transfers have been made over the summer is delusional. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Draupnir wrote:
    In defense, you need a goalkeeper and two centre backs. I dont rate Carragher or Hyppia. If Finnan gets locked up he needs replacing too. Riise is a great player, but id like to see him on the left wing, unless Kewell starts playing.

Alonso, Gerrard and Garcia will do in midfield, depends on Kewell. Up front, Morientes and Cisse aint bad.

5/6 players and youve got the guts of a top three team there.

Tactically, I think Benitez is brilliant in Europe, he always has been, in the Premier League last season, he was caught out a lot. He sorts that out and they are ok
    Reina will sign on 1 July apparently. The Arsenal "interest" is just a story to increase his package me thinks.

As for Carragher needing to be replaced? Are you joking? He was in the top three centre halves in the league last year, without doubt. And its not like he just had a great year last year, he has never really had a poor game in a Liverpool shirt. He isnt spectacular by any means but if you dont rate him you should really go and watch him sometime. Hyypia is getting on a bit but I expect him (and think he definitely still can) to play some part next year as a back up CB, Id imagine a long term partner for Carragher will be signed.

What people must bear in mind is that Cisse and Alonso will be back who both missed the second half of last season. Morientes (who was disappointing for large parts) should finally also be fully fit.

I dont think Liverpool are going to walk into third place, but I expect a hell of a lot of signings, the squad was thin enough and already 4 or 5 have been shown the door. With these new players, added to the key players finding their feet this year I think they are in with a great chance of finishing third, or even higher.

Its not that I'm writing off Liverpools chances entirly, but I honastly don't expect it, and if they do do it, it will be because Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd threw it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

PHB wrote:
    Liverpool don't have the consistancy to do it, and even if they rip apart the team, there is no way they can gel instantly in order to challenge, which is what they will need to do next year to have any shot at the title.

just a thought, liverpool will be playing competitive games in the CL qualifiers rather than friendlies as warmups to the coming season. it should help our starting form in the premiership at any rate.

Well maybe.
    Its either gona be one of two things.

Rafa plays a proper squad in the pre qualifiers which would mean they would be firing at the start, it would also mean they will get tired sooner.

Rafa doesn't play a proper squad, in which case they will get no real advantage.

Either way, its bad for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't see what the fuss is about.

It's an extra four matches than Man Utd, and they're in place of a tour of Japan. Hence, we're not playing extra matches, just playing competitive matches instead of friendlies, and just treking to the continent instead of the other side of the world. It's hardly going to ruin our season.

Getting "tired sooner" is nonsense, as pre-season warm-ups go, it's not the most strenuous by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Playing 90 minutes of football is not going to mean you get tired sooner in the year. Its the running for hours, 6 days a week for months that makes the players tired (plus of course travel but teams travel in pre-season anyway). Matches are not too much more demanding than training. The average winger would travel about 10km in a match. 40% of this is running, 40% jogging, 20% running. Players stop every few seconds and get a half time break so its not bad at all. I tried to google for a link for that but those figures are pretty accurate.

Pele played 80-90 games a year.

Advertisement