Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Flash...

Options
  • 14-06-2005 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I'm very keen to learn to use flash to a reasonable degree...past the white background with letters sliding in :D. Thing is my Macromedia demo has run out, and despite my looking - I ain't seeing anything close to freeware to replace it. Is there such a product (even if much more limited than the big programs?).

Please, no accusations of stinginess - I'm not running a corporate website and have no desire to part with my cash before I can dabble in it somemore and see how useful/hard it can be. Same with the anti-flash brigade...I don't need convincing thanks...I'm aware of its limitations!

Also, obviously alot more websites are very slick these days - but can anyone recommend a particularly good example of correct use of flash; not a tutorial or something OTT - just tasteful.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Bri wrote:
    I'm very keen to learn to use flash to a reasonable degree...past the white background with letters sliding in :D. Thing is my Macromedia demo has run out, and despite my looking - I ain't seeing anything close to freeware to replace it. Is there such a product (even if much more limited than the big programs?).

Please, no accusations of stinginess - I'm not running a corporate website and have no desire to part with my cash before I can dabble in it somemore and see how useful/hard it can be. Same with the anti-flash brigade...I don't need convincing thanks...I'm aware of its limitations!

Also, obviously alot more websites are very slick these days - but can anyone recommend a particularly good example of correct use of flash; not a tutorial or something OTT - just tasteful.

Thanking you.

To answer your first question, there are other programs out there that can create Flash, but they would have nowhere near the features that the Macromedia Flash program would have. I know there is one called Selteco and I have seen another one that just does Flash text, but in all they are pretty useless.

For everything else, you are probably going to get flamed judging by the mood the board is in for Flash, but personally I like the way Threadless have mixed Flash with regular HTML, particularly on the rating of submissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I saw the anti-flash brigade right after posting thanks!

Well this forum is called Webmaster/Flash so screw 'em. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I could tell you many nice things about flash, Bri. But my mind has been beaten to death by a previous thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Fair enough, although could you recommend any particular software? I don't mind paying for something if it's good enough and I'd presume Macromedia's are the sh!t from everything I've ever heard and used, but I simply want a bit more trial and error before investing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'll just pop my head around the door, shall I? ;) Nah, there are actually legitimate uses of flash, just NOT AS A REPLACEMENT FOR HTML, FOR GOODNESS SAKES! (sorry, rant over)

• Advertisement

Bri, check out Swish if you want to test out another flash based application, from what i remember it cost's a bit less than macromedia flash but doesn't have as many features. But is powerfull nonetheless

Saying that thou, i've never used it myself. I'll probably check it out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

If you would like to see flash in its various usage and some interesting little areas go to www.flashkit.com, and also i recomment you look into dynamic html, try www.dynamicdrive.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WKD

There are tons of tricks in flash that can't be done by anything else. I've messed about with flash for a year or two now and I still look up online tutorials and flash help sites. You can find tons of helpfull sites to get you on your way. Plus there are tons of good ole books in easons to help you out too.

Here's a site I started working on recently Battlefield Site.

As mentioned above Flashkit is a great site, there are great examples and tutorials on there. There is also Elearnage, which will teack you some really good stuff and also give you the source if ya just wanna mess about with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

WKD wrote:
    Me likey.
    I noticed some test text...
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, con secteteur adipsicing elit, sed diam nonnumy nibh euisnod tempor inci dunt ut labore et dolore magna ali quam erat volupat. Ut wise enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit laboris nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo con sequat. Duis autem vel eum irure dolor in henderit in vulputate velit esse consequat.
    It looks latin, any idea what it means? :confused:
    I usually just use "test blah" (x100) ;)
    Although this gibberish looks better to the eye as a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WKD

I don't know what the text is, it's just something that every test site I've ever seen has on it. The text on that site is contained in an external txt file on the server and is sooooooo easy to change and update. Beats going in and changing the whole flash file.

• Advertisement

Me likey.
    I noticed some test text...

It looks latin, any idea what it means? :confused:
    I usually just use "test blah" (x100) ;)
    Although this gibberish looks better to the eye as a test.

It's the default dummy text for print and now web sites. It has been around since 1500 people. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

WKD wrote:
    There are tons of tricks in flash that can't be done by anything else. I've messed about with flash for a year or two now and I still look up online tutorials and flash help sites. You can find tons of helpfull sites to get you on your way. Plus there are tons of good ole books in easons to help you out too.

As mentioned above Flashkit is a great site, there are great examples and tutorials on there. There is also Elearnage, which will teack you some really good stuff and also give you the source if ya just wanna mess about with it.

Nice site. + thx for the link too, looks good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

I could tell you many nice things about flash, Bri. But my mind has been beaten to death by a previous thread

Can someone point me to this thread?
    I am trying to 'dissuade' someone from using flash on a site, I have my own reasons, but would like to read other opinions on the matter

Can someone point me to this thread?
    I am trying to 'dissuade' someone from using flash on a site, I have my own reasons, but would like to read other opinions on the matter

That thread has past its sell by date. But i'm sure that if you start a anti flash thread people will respond to it. :o

I don't think there was anything in that thread that can't be found by searching google for 'Flash is Evil'. You can just substitute evil for pretty much any other adjective (good or bad) and you'll get relevant results.

Advertisement