Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

todays biology

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

sorry to dampen the mood just seeing everyone saying it was piss easy when it wasn't.It was do-able but really hard to get a high grade in (well i think anyways, perhaps they'll mark it easy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

sixdraw wrote:
    sorry to dampen the mood just seeing everyone saying it was piss easy when it wasn't.It was do-able but really hard to get a high grade in (well i think anyways, perhaps they'll mark it easy)

yeah defo didn't think it was piss easy, the short questions were quite basic but the long question were exactly that, LONG! just hope I did enough!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well the people saying it's piss easy probably worked their back sides off and maybe just maybe their work paid dividend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

that was the easierst biology paper i have ever seen, probably because last years on was so hard and they had a lot of complaints, i did no study at all for biology till the hour before because i only need to pass it, but now id say i got maybe a high C. the reading comprehension in ecology gave me an orgasm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

I completely agree! I found it easy! But i worked my ass off for it!!!!!

• Advertisement

our teacher did a very good job at predicting what would come up in the exam.

in our mock we had respiration long question, DNA exp in section B etc etc.

I worked hard for that Bio paper too! Jesus! Just because I'm a bit cagy about it *shifty eyes* doesn't mean I didn't do any study!

No one said you didn't!!! lol

Im was referring to the comments that if you found it easy you prob missed all the detail they were looking for!!

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    No one said you didn't!!! lol

Im was referring to the comments that if you found it easy you prob missed all the detail they were looking for!!

Sorry was a bit on the defensive there....anyway, yeah that detail, grrr, scourage of our time...

We worked! Don't stress it!! Im sure all he was referring to was if you thought it was a wafflers paper you were mislead! If you worked the "detail" kinna comes as a standard part of your answer because you're not WAFFLING!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 P O'Neill

It was grand! I went in expecting to fail and now I think I got around a C!

ques 11(b) (i) i'd love to know wtf they're asking in this ques. The oxygen debt one.how is the debt repaid?

sixdraw wrote:
    ques 11(b) (i) i'd love to know wtf they're asking in this ques. The oxygen debt one.how is the debt repaid?

by deeper and more frequent breathing - inhalation - air - oxyegen to parts of the body that need it - debt-free

That's what I said anyway...kinda out on a limb...

ya i was thinking along those lines but since when did Biology become a business exam. could there be an argument there for muscle cramp as another way of the debt being paid....I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

by deeper and more frequent breathing - inhalation - air - oxyegen to parts of the body that need it - debt-free

That's what I said anyway...kinda out on a limb...

Almost......well no.

lactic acid builds up as a result of anaerobic respiration in the muscles. This lactic acid must then be converted to a safer (i.e non-cramp causing) substance. It is transported to the liver, where this transformation takes places. However, this transformation requires even MORE oxygen than aerobic oxygen in the first place....thus creating the 'oxygen debt'.....i.e more oxygen must be 'repaid' to the body, than would have initially been needed. That's why the human body can't survive by anaerobic respiration alone. that and the fact it's ****tily-inefficent

*I must add that this is not actually in my Biology book, and I only know it thanks to Mr.Burke o' Leeson St. You god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭|Maestro|

sixdraw wrote:
    ya i was thinking along those lines but since when did Biology become a business exam. could there be an argument there for muscle cramp as another way of the debt being paid....I wonder

cramp i sthe key word all right!

yes but if no oxygen is available lactic acid builds up even further causing more severe cramp.its like a vicious circle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I'm annoyed with myself for messing up a small part of question .. 14? i think

About the musculoskeletal disorders.. is anaemia a musculoskeletal disorder?

I realise now that they were after arthritis, but at the time all i could think of was anaemia (which is sort of to do with bones and bone marrow.. :( )

<Jonny> wrote:
    I'm annoyed with myself for messing up a small part of question .. 14? i think

About the musculoskeletal disorders.. is anaemia a musculoskeletal disorder?

I realise now that they were after arthritis, but at the time all i could think of was anaemia (which is sort of to do with bones and bone marrow.. :( )

I did osteoperhosis

i think thats what they were looking for

or osteorithis/rheumotid arthritis (both spelled wrong)

for that muscloskeletal disorder could you use Ricketts as a disorder?

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    for that muscloskeletal disorder could you use Ricketts as a disorder?

yeah definitely what did u say for treatment though?

Yeah, i was way off.

Another question I was unsure of was "how do plants protect themselves from adverse environments". Maybe I just missed that in class, but I wasn't sure what to say.

So I said:

Tropisms: some plants blah blah blah, phototropism -> they move away from darkness to lightness to survive

Cacti: have spikes to ward of predators

pine trees: needle leaves to prevent water loss

by the way would i get any marks for saying there is no treatment of parkinson's dosease for nervous dsorders,?

erm i wasn't sure. didn't think there was a treatment but i said it's cause by a lack of calcium, usually happens in children i think

|Maestro| wrote:
    by the way would i get any marks for saying there is no treatment of parkinson's dosease for nervous dsorders,?

There is a treatment. There's no cure, but as a treatment they inject(?) a chemical which stimulates dopamine production.

|Maestro| wrote:
    i did parkinson's this is what i said about treatment

no 100% cure but dopamine can help to reduce the effects of this disease

<Jonny> wrote:
    Yeah, i was way off.

Another question I was unsure of was "how do plants protect themselves from adverse environments". Maybe I just missed that in class, but I wasn't sure what to say.

So I said:

Tropisms: some plants blah blah blah, phototropism -> they move away from darkness to lightness to survive

Cacti: have spikes to ward of predators

pine trees: needle leaves to prevent water loss

yeah the first one is deff good, i said dormancy, as in in adverse situations the plant goes into a dormant state and then germinates when conditions are favourable again!

A treatment for ricketts would be to eat more vitamin D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Went in trying to scrape D3 (Higher Level) but a bit of luck in what I looked over this morning combined with what seemed to be a fairly easy paper and I think I'm on for a C2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Sixdraw
    i dont mean to sound big headed. but i have never gotten anything other than an A1 in all my biology exams including the mocks. I dont think it was an easy paper. i just think it was well written. it was clear. the questions were well defined and obviously the things people were expecting came up. it was obvious what they were gonna ask with it being a new course they obviously wanted to test out all the material, especially the stuff they didnt test last year.

Interstitial Cells may be only one of many answers for the Testes Question. To be frankly honest i have never heard of that being given as an answer. I am sure Testes will be accepted and my biology teacher agrees.

Just because you wrote something that you perceive to be more in depth doesnt mean your right. And its unfair of you to come on here and tell people they are definitely wrong and that they wont get their marks.
    No-one knows what answers will be accepted yet.

Advertisement