Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

todays biology

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

sixdraw wrote:
    ya i was thinking along those lines but since when did Biology become a business exam. could there be an argument there for muscle cramp as another way of the debt being paid....I wonder
    that seems like a credidlbe answer.
    anyone in sports science wouldve known what this was. its something athletes get a lot. its all to do with cramping and suffering the damages of lactic acid and then having to excrete the lactic acid etc. as far as i know.
    although i would agree this was the strangest question on the paper.
    and probably the only one which will cause concern at the marking conference.

|Maestro| wrote:
    by the way would i get any marks for saying there is no treatment of parkinson's dosease for nervous dsorders,?
    Your correct in saying there is no proven treatment.
    The disorder is caused by insufficient levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine which plays in important role in fine motor control. Scientists have created artificial dopamine in transgenic bacteria, similar to the way insulin is created in bacteria. artificial administration of the neurotransmitter Dopamine has been shown to reduce symptoms of parkinsons in many cases. However it does precipitate agressive behavour and mood swings. This treatment doesnt work for everyone. There are other treatments available such as more common muscle relaxants which calm the involuntary shaking.
    So as such there is no sure fire treatment. Some people respond to no treatment, some respond to both treatments. So your not wrong.
    Also, it is likely that Parkinsons is an X-linked disorder as it mostly affects men. and so genetic treatments may prove useful in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

will i lose marks for just saying arthiritis, not specifically rheumatoid? And has that lactic acid thing got anything to do with glycogen cos I know I wrote that as a (un)educated guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭|Maestro|

rosa wrote:
    will i lose marks for just saying arthiritis, not specifically rheumatoid? And has that lactic acid thing got anything to do with glycogen cos I know I wrote that as a (un)educated guess.

q.1 probably not
    q.2 i am not sure,

thanks for your help this morning by the way it was great!

No bother. Pity goddamn enymes didn't come up after all! I really don't know how to feel about the Bio paper. It seemed a bit deceptively easy in parts. and did anyone else find it very bitty, all over the place like? There was no good human biology question to get stuck into, the heart or animal nutrition and the like. Still, I'm not complaining, could have been a LOT worse, esp. short qs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

I'm used to getting B1's normally and I thought this was a very hard paper. There was no choice - you had to work with the new stuff whether you lik'd it or not. Okay, part A and B were fine, but C was very tough.
    By the way I think your all wrong about that testosterone question - it didn't say where is testosterone produced, it said "where is testosterone secreted in the body of human males" -I said into the blood stream by the endocrine system, A friend of mine who I think is actually right said: adrenal glands on kidney
    Overall not happy with the paper even though I think I got a B2/B1

I'm used to getting B1's normally and I thought this was a very hard paper. There was no choice - you had to work with the new stuff whether you lik'd it or not. Okay, part A and B were fine, but C was very tough.
    By the way I think your all wrong about that testosterone question - it didn't say where is testosterone produced, it said "where is testosterone secreted in the body of human males" -I said into the blood stream by the endocrine system, A friend of mine who I think is actually right said: adrenal glands on kidney
    Overall not happy with the paper even though I think I got a B2/B1

what the hell! there is no such thing as an endocrine system???
    and you think testosterone is secreted for the Adrenal glands get a life For **** sake stop spamming the thread with that bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Whoah... easy now tiger. The poster offering what *they* wrote as an answer isn't exactly spam... bit of exam pressure perhaps?

rosa wrote:
    No bother. Pity goddamn enymes didn't come up after all! I really don't know how to feel about the Bio paper. It seemed a bit deceptively easy in parts. and did anyone else find it very bitty, all over the place like? There was no good human biology question to get stuck into, the heart or animal nutrition and the like. Still, I'm not complaining, could have been a LOT worse, esp. short qs.
    enzymes did come up. they were all over the shop

Sorry, was referring to the enyme exprts, the temp, pH and denaturation ones. Spent all yesterday morning learning them, was sure one would come up!

• Advertisement

an enzyme imobilisation exp. came up though, they were hardly going to ask for two!

Btw what was your labelled diagram for the above exp.
    i didnt have a clue what to draw so i drew the weighing scales,graduated cylinder of a. sodium alginate solution and b. yeast solutio, i drew the calcium chloride solution in a beaker with the other two mixtures dripping above from a dropper, then i drew the funnel and filter paper and alcohol at bottom labeling the imobilized yeast
    but what were they looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

I just drew a beaker and a syringe with some beads in the bottom of the beaker.

Yeah didn't know that one though! was hoping for one of the other three. I attempted the immobilised enzymes one, used those labels too. Dunno what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry that was a little rough, just after re reading it.

i'm still asleep. kind of

dont knock a girl when shes down cremo have a little respect

Its ok I'm just about to be run over by History. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

still i shouldn't of said that, i'm not the king of biology in fact i suck really badly.

i just got really lucky that everything i studied came up on the exam.

Good luck in history i've been told that history can be tough 3hours 50minutes is tough

Yep, was completly run over by History!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

well i said that was what "I " thought they would be after. of course you will have to get some if not all marks but the fact that they ask where sperm is produced also just lead me to believe they wanted more accuracy. I totally accept that I could be totally wrong.Was just using it as an example anyways to the ways marks can dropped if they need to get them lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 UncleFester

Cotsy wrote:
    I just drew a beaker and a syringe with some beads in the bottom of the beaker.
    yep me too

i don't think it was really easy (except for that enzyme q i mean listen) but i think it was o.k :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 UncleFester

sorry did'nt mean enzyme ment ecology!!!!
    my brains not workin properly anymore - i think its combination of being overworked 4th past few days n me drinkin last night n maybe a lack of sleep too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Errant11235

Maybe this has been mentioned already but in section B, the first question was to immobilise an "Enzyme". Now the experiment in most of the text books, including mine, was to immobilise a cell i.e. yeast. As far as I know yeast is NOT an enzyme. I answered the question with the usual Sodium Alginate crap, for the diagram I drem a syringe and a bowl. But is it technically right? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Overall I thought the paper was far too easy, I didn't get an A1 (hopefully a B though!) but I don't think anyone could say that was Honours standard. The last 2 questions were a complete joke and the ecology question about the bird, well, I was shocked when I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

yeast contains an enzyme called zymase which converts glucose to ethanol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

As far as I know yeast is NOT an enzyme.
    Interesting that you should say that - "En zyme" actually means "In yeast" in Greek, because they coined the term when they realised there was something in yeast that speeded up reactions. Yeast is not an enzyme, but it contains zymase, as sixdraw said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

Fishie wrote:
    Interesting that you should say that - "En zyme" actually means "In yeast" in Greek, because they coined the term when they realised there was something in yeast that speeded up reactions. Yeast is not an enzyme, but it contains zymase, as sixdraw said

Damn....beaten to the punch already. Yes, using the yeast experiment for this question was perfectly fine (I think), as immobilising the yeast which secretes the zymase, amounts to immobilising the zymase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

Hey people, i'm actually in ucd now goin into 2nd year but i didnt the biology paper last year. First time the new course was asked. Anyway i walked out of the exam an hour early thinking i had failed it could i basically didnt answer the questions i was asked, i just answered the questions i had prepared - but i got a B2 in honours so they obviously marked it easy! so however bad u think you did you probably did alot better!

sure you cant change it now! :)

Advertisement