Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jackie McNamara Leaves Celtic For Wolves

• 14-06-2005 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

from sporting life.
    Celtic insist they made every effort to hold on to Jackie McNamara, despite the player's claims Wolves worked harder to sign him.

McNamara joined the Molineux club on a two-year-deal earlier today bringing his 10-year spell at Celtic to an end.

The defender - whose final game was his testimonial match against the Republic of Ireland - was expected to extend his stay at Parkhead but was disappointed they were only willing to offer a one-year extension.

McNamara verbally agreed the move to Wolves by phone last night but has revealed how Celtic stepped up their attempts to retain him while he was on his way south for a medical.

The Bank of Scotland Premier League side say they matched the offer of a two-year deal as well as improving the terms but insist McNamara leaves with their best wishes.

Can any Celtic head tell me about my second favourite clubs new signing?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

solid.

he used to play on the right of midfield before getting a knee injury many moons ago.

naturally he moved to defence as he wasnt as quick as he used to be.

a great replacement for denis irwin.

sorry to see him leave. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well his best position is without doubt right back but with everyone fully fit he was not going to play there as Agathe has been superb at left back. Definitely a superb signing for Wolves. Its not mentioned there but he was Celtic's captain.

There's so many players leaving Celtic now. Since Christmas the following players have gone:

Camara
    Juninho
    Petta
    Sylla
    Henchoz
    Lambert
    Valgaeren
    Douglas
    McNamara

Hedman, Laursen and Fernandez are nearly certain to released. Close to £200k per week off the wage bill if all these players are gone and thats not including Bellamy. All these players are going and the club probably got a total of £100k in transfer fee's, the rest were released or out of contract. Lennon has taking a pay cut of £10k a week too.

New assistant manager, Pendry, said it won't be long before the fans are as excited as the managing staff with future signings so I assume there's a decent kitty for Strachan to rebuild with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

With the exception of McNamara i dont think any of those will be missed. Some have been good players to the club but I think Celtic will be far better off with them off the wage bill now. The club needs rebuild heavily as Lennon, Sutton, Varga, etc. are pushing on and I dont see their form improving.

Hopefully Strachan will be cunning in the transfer market and make a few steals and good long term investments.I'd like to bellamy stay and i'd love to see Robbie Keane at Celtic. I think that could be a great partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Hopefully they can hold on to Balde aswell....Think Valgaeren is a bit of a loss to be honest....in and out of the team alot, thought he still had alot to offer.

McNamara will be a good addition to any side such is his commitment to the team...

Balde is so much like Andy O'Brien. A decent partner and they're as solid as a rock. Balde was player of the year when Mjallby was around, he has gone off the boil in the last season though. I'd love him to stay and someone like Dellas to come in. Dellas' agent said today that Celtic had contacted them while Rangers had just been making noises.

• Advertisement

Jackie was talking about it on the radio this evening. He said Celtic made the first offer on 3rd June. He gave Celtic a deadline of last night for them to offer him what he wants. They didn't offer anything so he said yes to Wolves. On his way down to Wolves in the car he got a call from Celtic with the terms he wanted. He told them if had been offered that earlier he'd still be a Celtic player but he has given his word to Wolves.

Most fans would slate a player for just leaving the club like this, especially after getting a load of money from a testimonial last month. Most Celtic fans are backing Jackie over this though because the board are such a crap bunch of negotiators and they'll have to learn a lesson from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ah this is a disgrace to the celtic board and the gordo for not making the extra effort to keep this celtic great at the club , i firmly belive he would of retired after this contract at the club but again we didnt offer it too him :)
    Wolves are picking up a player that will accel in the championship , My favorite Celtic player gone :( sad day for the fans / club .
    makes me ponder gordo transfer kitty must be large enough seen as he has a LOT of players to replace !

anyone any views on the kitty ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I wish him well, the club offered him a 2 year deal but he gave hoddle his word and duly sighned for wolves, he was a poor captain imo not a talker and hopefully stan petrov gets the captains armband.

Badabing wrote:
    I wish him well, the club offered him a 2 year deal but he gave hoddle his word and duly sighned for wolves, he was a poor captain imo not a talker and hopefully stan petrov gets the captains armband.
    Agreed, Lennon should have been captain when Lambert started to get on. Petrov has to get it now though. I still picture him roaring his head off at Agathe when we were 1-0 in the last league game of the season. Agathe is about 4 or 5 years older than him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

eirebhoy wrote:
    Jackie was talking about it on the radio this evening. He said Celtic made the first offer on 3rd June. He gave Celtic a deadline of last night for them to offer him what he wants. They didn't offer anything so he said yes to Wolves. On his way down to Wolves in the car he got a call from Celtic with the terms he wanted. He told them if had been offered that earlier he'd still be a Celtic player but he has given his word to Wolves.

Most fans would slate a player for just leaving the club like this, especially after getting a load of money from a testimonial last month. Most Celtic fans are backing Jackie over this though because the board are such a crap bunch of negotiators and they'll have to learn a lesson from this.

well said,its ultimately the boards faulthe's left,personally im gutted as iwas a big Jackie fan,there's not many like him thesedays who will stay with the same club for 10 years.a Celtic man through and through very sorry to see him go..sack the board a fcukin disgrace :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

you could see when he was interviewed about joining wolves he was far from over the moon about it. it would be hard to say he was completly shafted by celtic in light of his recent testimonial, but i dont think a two year deal would have been too much to expect as the club captain and regular performer. i wish him well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

eirebhoy wrote:
    Agreed, Lennon should have been captain when Lambert started to get on. Petrov has to get it now though. I still picture him roaring his head off at Agathe when we were 1-0 in the last league game of the season. Agathe is about 4 or 5 years older than him. :)

According to Teletext Lenny is new captain and also finally signs new 1 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

jonny68 wrote:
    well said,its ultimately the boards faulthe's left,personally im gutted as iwas a big Jackie fan,there's not many like him thesedays who will stay with the same club for 10 years.a Celtic man through and through very sorry to see him go..sack the board a fcukin disgrace :mad:

i would probably point the fault to O'Neill in all fairness. He, as a manager back in january should have got he to sign a new contact.. instead of leaving it to the last minute.

Advertisement