Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asafa Powell breaks 100m record

• 14-06-2005 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it was coming, wasn't it?

I think he'll lower it again.

But will he beat the master racer, Justin Gatlin, in Helsinki?

(Presupposing Gatlin gets through the US trials)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Nice to see the record broken, but as usual the first questions to be asked will be "what is he on?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't see anyone else asking that here. Please bear the charter in mind when posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You'd think he'd have a clue after 1676 posts.

No need for that either ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Does anyone think he will win the worlds, remember what happened at the Olympics, he was favourite and the pressure might have gotten to him, I hope he wins it but the Americans will put up a strong challenge. I also think the record will be lowered later in the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

seemingly his coach had a go at him after the race....told him that his technique left him in the final 30m and that he should have relaxed more.... :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

He is managed by Paul Doyle, well known to many in Irish track circles. Nice work if you can get it!

I wasn't asking it, I was just saying that many people probably are. UInfortunately it is what happens when records like this get broken nowadays. The first instinct is no longer to congratulate the athlete and admire his achievement, but to assume that he must be taking something. It is a great achievement, but some people will have their suspicions. :( That is the point I was making.

The way you phrased it is why I didn't ban you (but did ban the person who followed up to you). I know what most people will think, but there's no point in encouraging it.

Thanks. Not since that famous night in Seoul have we celebrated the breaking of the 100m record with little or no suspicion, but that all changed a few days later.

I saw Powell's run tonight. He was a long way clear of the field, which is hard enough to be in a 100m race. It looked impressive. It is a very hard record to break. How far can it go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

As a person whose main interest is in sprints and the 100m being the daddy of all sprints, I always get great satisfaction in seeing the 100m world record lowered. I'm particularly happy that it was Powell, as he has been the dominant force in sprinting (the Olympics excepted) over the past few years. He's yet only 22 and could dominate the event for quite a while to come. Also, he'll only be 25 at the Beijing Olympics and 29 at the one after that. So he has plenty of time to make up for the disappointment of Athens. Think El G! (Can't spell it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

It all looked very wrong before last years Olympic final. The weather was hot and every other athlete was stripped down yet Asafa was walking around with a big heavy jumper on him(no, not Jonathan Edwards...the kind of jumper you wear). He was pumping sweat. Seemed to me like his head wasn't in the right place. Lets hope he learns to deal with the big occasion and the pressure that mounts during a multi-round competition.

Advertisement