Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Little help please

• 14-06-2005 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,223 ✭✭✭✭

My brothers laptop has gone kaput. When it starts up a message box says windows explorer has encounter a problem and will close. when i shut the box the screen goes blank, refreshes and then the message dialog box opens up again. any ideas?

when i debug i get an unhandled exception in EXPLORER.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access Violation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Try starting in Safe mode - http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Then use System restore to restore it to a known good boot date - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

You didn't say the OS that is on the machine. If its XP you could try a repair install, or boot to the recovery console and try to extract a new copy of explorer.exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

sounds like Explorer.exe has become corrupted and needs to be repaired, like boidey said, we need to know what OS your using to best advise you how to repair the damage.

I doubt that running in safe mode will do anything unless the problem is caused by another program, and if so the computer needs a reinstall anyhow IMHO. Best advice given the little detail you've given is to run windows installer and install windows via the "repair windows installation" option, which will replace explorer.exe and reset a couple values to their default.

personally, when something gets that serious I reinstall windows - its highly advisable to reinstall a computer in constant use ever 6months or so, given you have your stuff backed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,223 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

windows XP, not sure whether is home of office - i don't have it with me right now

Advertisement