Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long should the average history essay be?

• 14-06-2005 10:47pm

i need to know!2_3pages and ill be sorted!please tell me im right!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

i need to know!2_3pages and ill be sorted!please tell me im right!
    yeah bout 3 should be fine once its imformation and not waffle!!! some woman from the institute said at the history conference that you need 5 to do well but thats a load of pooey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, 2 pages is too short tbh, but 3 good informative pages is totally acceptable and will get you the marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Man im fu(ked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

But make sure you have at least 6 paragraphs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Gallo, what've you done?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Ok my teacher must be a psycho cos she's had us writitng six page essays since the start of fifth year! But most of us did fairly bad in our mocks so I suppose it comes down to quality rather than quantity yet again.
    Also, our mock examiner took marks off us for leaving too many lines between each paragraph becuase it interfered with the " continuity " of the essay. Can they actually do this or was she just being psycho as well??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

to quote my old English teacher:

Student: "How long should the essay be?".
    Teacher: "As long as a girl's skirt; short enough to keep us interested, but long enough to cover what's important."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Cianan2 wrote:
    Gallo, what've you done?!

What have I done, History! What have you done?..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Teacher: "As long as a girl's skirt; short enough to keep us interested, but long enough to cover what's important."

LEGEND of a teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

That's classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My history essays are going to be diddly squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Thats the best reply i've ever heard to that, sure as hell beats a piece of string..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

I was able to write 3 and a half page essays before this... but I could only really manage 3 pages today (my hand was twitching after a while, hard to write legibly :/). It's annoying that there are people who can just write 5-6 pages in 35 minutes without any difficulty. And yes, I've been practising...

It's annoying that there are people who can just write 5-6 pages in 35 minutes without any difficulty.

It's alright for some people....some people like me.....

Although a guy in my room did 7 for each...he looked like a physco for 3hrs...hope they correct mine first....

Do history and geo correcters get paid more because of the extra material?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's to do with the amount of words you write, not pages. I think 1,500-2,000 words is standard, though I could be WAY off.

I was sitting beside this guy today who seemed to be having a seizure. Every ten minutes he'd ask for more pages. It got to the stage where the examiner would see his hand up and just pick up a page. Then I took a peak at his actual pages. Started each line about 5cm away from the paragraph and got a good 5-6 words on each line.

I do 2 1/2 page essays, but I get what I reckon to be 3 1/2-4 pages worth of info for 'normal' people since my writing is very small. I did a word count in the last few minutes of my history test since it was SO much more appealing than trying to waffle about the Eastern Question and have an average of 14-15 words per line. My writing is still somehow clear enough.

What the examiner will do is count the amount of words per one 'regular'-looking line, multiply it by the amount of lines on the page and then the pages you've done.

But I liked the skirt answer better too.

Yeah i get about 12 a line. At least it gave that guy some hope..."hey i wrote loads of pages i had to have done well"...

Advertisement