Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Appliances - Good Bad & Ugly

Options
  • 14-06-2005 11:16pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Just confirming our list of appliances for the hoose and was wondering what people thought of different appliances makes?

To start with

Whirlpool
    Candy
    Creda
    Powerpoint
    Indesit
    Cata (I know!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hi Yop

I know it's not listed in your post but don't buy a hotpoint washing machine (The bearing went in my mid-range hotpoint washing machine after only 3 years of LIGHT use - 400 Irish pounds gone in a quickwash! )

This waste of space now has pride of place in my back garden awaiting its final (costly) journey to the recycle facility.

Now I have a Bosch Machine .... Oh Bosch how wonderful you are !!

F

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Bought a new house three years ago. Most of the kitchen stuff is Zanussi. Seems fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Yop,

A lot of those "Brand Names" are just that names, they are made by the same people and have small differences on the face panels with different badges.

They appear to be made with the throw away society in mind, I had what looked like a brand new washing machine that was dumped because it worked out only slightly dearer to buy a new one than replace the motor.

I do not buy washing machines and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" does not buy my power tools :) her choice by recommendation did surprise me a little, she bought a Beko which had the most economical rating and so far she is very pleased with her purchase.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

rooferPete wrote:
    A lot of those "Brand Names" are just that names, they are made by the same people and have small differences on the face panels with different badges.

Have to disagree with you there Pete, I used to work for Electrolux who do own many brands but I can assure you they are all different. Zanussi's are made in Italy, Electroux's are made in Sweden, AEG in Germany and so on .... (I had the privilige (torture?? :rolleyes: ) of travelling to many of the factories....)

Anyways back to the thread...

I've just finished my own place and went with Liebherr for the fridge (because it was the most efficent one I could find - bear in mind it's always on), Electrolux for the cooker (no specific reason other than it looks nice), Zanussi for the dishwasher cause it was efficent again, Zanussi for the gas hob (gas is gas) and Zanussi for the washing machine (again a high efficency rating). Didn't buy a dryer cause those things eat electricity - use a clothesline instead (all that fine Mayo wind ;) ).

At the end of the day you do get what you pay for and in my opinion it's worth spending the extra few bob on good stuff if it'll last that little bit longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

well i can tell u this about the lesser known names. a neighbour of mines tv went on fire while they were watching it recently. they had it two years. when the fire bridgade came and put the fire out they said that they have a real problem with names such as beko and such like (cant think of what names he said). he said that the majority of tv's that go on fire are what he called "powercity specials". there the ones putting out fires so i think i would believe them!

also, i know a few friends that have hotpoint washing machines and have had nothing but trouble with them. i think its the esb who publish a report every year about the best appliance and best make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Can second what Tabitha's saying there, have gone through about 2 Hotpoint washing machines and 1 servis one in the last 7 years...they were all washer/dryers though which when I checked into it are meant to be more unreliable. Also they wouldnt dry a hanky and are fairly usless compared to a second seperate dryer.

Unfortuantely my choice was limited to hotpoint in those instances due to the ESB 12 months intrest free credit :( . Have a bosch washing machine now - so far so good.

A friend who got a Mitsibishi Black + Diamond TV off power city and had a similar problem as above, walked into the sitting room where her 3 year old was watching pingu to hear it crackling and checked the back of the TV to see it was actually sparking so was promptly dumped.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

samo wrote:
    they were all washer/dryers though which when I checked into it are meant to be more unreliable.

I agree - if you're going to buy a dryer at least buy a seperate one, the combined types are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Fridge & Freezer - Go for efficiency, as they are always on. Not much can go wrong with them.
    Cooker & Hob - Neff
    Dishwasher & Washing machine & Dryer - Bosch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads, very informative, good to see what is good and what to avoid!! Keep em coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I'll third that about the combined washer dryers - go seperate if you possible can. Also condenser dryers in general aren't as efficient (as in how long to dry clothes) as vented ones.

To early to tell on the latest purchases reliability wise...

Hotpoint Cooker (and gas hob) and Dishwasher (came with kitchen, so limited choice). Seem fine so far, although I'm a bit disappointed with the capacity of the integrated dishwasher compared to stand alone one's I've used in the past. Internal height seems smaller - although maybe just the brand :confused:

LG American Fridge very happy with so far - A rated, but if you can go more it makes sense.

Zanuissi washing machine, AA rated. Seems fine too, although one thing I noticed from the manual (post purchase) is that it only hot fills at all above 40 degrees. Seems a bit silly to me, and makes you wonder about the rating tbh. But has 30 degree washes, quick wash etc

Tumble Dryer is a cheap one from Power City that we've had for years. Can't remember the name, could be Thor, but basically the cheapest full load one. Not a great rating, but does what it's supposed to do efficiently time wise so is good enough for the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'd stay away from whirlpool washing machines too - we've had several replacements/service calls in the last 4-5 years. heap of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Which did a survey on many houshold machines and the results were a little bit of a surprise. Dyson not the best vacum etc...

http://trial.which.co.uk/house_and_home.php?action=2099

Effectively the top brand names came out as the bottom. It may be a bit misleding as it was a survey and not testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Got wahing machine and dryer recently - both Hoover. We picked those because of the extra capacity of 7.5kg (and got a free bike with the washing machine). Happy with both so far and the extra capacity comes in handy for washing duvets etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't actually know if you can get this in Ireland ...but if you come across a brand called "Gorenje" ...do give it a good look.

These machines are made in Slovenia to a very high standard at a good price.

Bought my washing machine 14 years ago ... it has moved house (and country) more than five times now and still washes perfectly without ever even having seen a service guy.
    I went for an "expensive" model that time (all stainless steel inside) and it still came cheaper than the cheapest model from an expensive brand ...A ratings and all ...

And no, I don't work for them ...
    http://www.gorenjegroup.com/en/householdappliances

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bosch dishwasher,
    Ariston washing machine (Ariston and on and on..)
    Bosch fridge
    De Dietrich ceramic hob /oven - had to replace the oven knobs twice free of charge.
    Tefal kettle - had it 8 years only changed when we got a present of an Alessi kettle.

Potterton Gas boiler - piece of rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

On the advice of my mother its been Bosch all the way for my new house.
    That is of course, assuming you cant afford to kit out your house in Miele!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have an Indesit dishwasher and combo washer/dryer which are nearly three years old at this stage. Haven't had a problem with them at all, and i would recommend them.

Despite what other people have said about washer/dryer's, i find mine works fine for both tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

get the oven & hob that suits your style of kitchen.
    Fridge is a personal choice...again you might want to match it with your kitchen.
    As for wash machine....I bought a Beko recently for €250.
    Brand names on wash machines, my ar5e. If it lasts 5yrs then it was only €250. Your budget will really dictate what you want in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree with prospect
    Bosch Neff etc.
    I think Beko are dirt I've bought em before and never again , (their TVS are ok )

Plus bosch do a condenser dryer you can get a kit to mount the dryer ontop of the bosch washing machine, then you get a kit to drain the dryer into the extract of the washer , so you can put it in an unvented room, but never have to bother to empty the machine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone experience with Baumatic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

married for 25yrs and had many brands of white goods,
    for reliability and value for money
    washing machines
    1st Bosch.
    2nd Zanussi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Had a Siemens Tumble drier that only lasted about 13 months (just after the guarantee ran out)
    Bosh Washing machine lasted 6 or 7 years (we left it behind when we moved to Ireland) Because of that we are gong Bosch for Fridge / Dishwasher/ Washing Machine and Tumble Drier (Condenser)
    Current rented house has Candy Washing machine and it's needed repairs twice - repair man said 8o% of his calls are Candy - so avoid them.

Look for quiter dishwashers - the one in this rented house is like a train passing !! Cheap usally = noisy and inefficient.
    Where are you getting them? The big places - Currys etc have offers that sound good but some of the smaller shops can be as cheap and will knock off money for bulk buys.

Currys definately do not appeal to me, something about them that does not comfort me when I head in to spend the guts of 2 or 3k on appliances!!!

N17, place in Tuam I cannot think of the name of, Brodericks or Sheridans in Castlebar.

What we are looking at is getting the kitchen and all Baumatic appliances from the UK for just over 12k Euro delivered, which compared to what i have seen for the exact same kitchen and appliances is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

My 3 year old whirlpool has just died with bearing failure. Repair guy says its cheaper to buy a new one.

It definitely won't be whirlpool ever again, POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My 3 year old whirlpool has just died with bearing failure. Repair guy says its cheaper to buy a new one.

It definitely won't be whirlpool ever again, POS.
    Whirlpool offer an 8 year parts guarantee in Ireland in addition to the standard 12 months guarantee. You still have to pay for labour, but that's a lot better than many manufacturers offer.

In any case, unless you have extensive experience of other makes, I'd say that basing your remark that Whirlpool are a POS on a sample of exactly one, is a little hasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fredser wrote:
    Hi Yop

I know it's not listed in your post but don't buy a hotpoint washing machine (The bearing went in my mid-range hotpoint washing machine after only 3 years of LIGHT use - 400 Irish pounds gone in a quickwash! )
    Fredser, this is a known fault with the older range of Hotpoint machines...I bought one in 96 and got about 7yrs use before the bearing went aswell. It works out cheaper to buy a new one...so what did we buy...another Hotpoint...all because she wanted one to match the colour & style of teh freezer that was standing beside it.. :rolleyes:

Stay away from combo washer/dryers

Mother swears by the Zanussi machine she has

I recently bought a Bru Wash machine for a buy-2-let. Looked like the Beko in the shop next door but was €20 cheaper. I wonder how long it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ogham wrote:

Look for quiter dishwashers - the one in this rented house is like a train passing !! Cheap usally = noisy and inefficient.
    /QUOTE]

exception being boschs cheapest dishwasher, its virtually silent and washes quickly and efficiently. very7 impressed with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Alun wrote:
    Whirlpool offer an 8 year parts guarantee in Ireland in addition to the standard 12 months guarantee. You still have to pay for labour, but that's a lot better than many manufacturers offer.

In any case, unless you have extensive experience of other makes, I'd say that basing your remark that Whirlpool are a POS on a sample of exactly one, is a little hasty.

From my point of view thats largely irrelevant. To have a bearing failure after 3 years of light use (~ once a week) is crap. To be then quoted 200 yoyo (approximately 50% of the original purchase price) for replacement is total crap. My previous washing machine lasted for 10 years without issue.

As a comparison, I recently had an authorised dealer replace all the bearings on the rear suspension of my mountain bike - cost was 100 yoyo, against a 2000 yoyo bike purchase price. Thats reasonable maintenance cost.

I'm familar with bearings and most things mechanical, and know crap and ripoff when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

We've had a Zanussi dryer for 23 years! Its moved house and country several times, spent a year in the garden as house was being built and its still going strong!

In fairness its really started to show its age, handle broke off door and its covered in rust, but after 23 years it owes us nothing.

Bought a cheap washing machine from power city, it lasted 3 years, so then bought an expensive whirlpool machine, it lasted 2 years. They don't build them to last anymore.

Currently looking to buy a new washing machine, dryer and American style fridge, would shops like currys, DID etc. be willing to do a deal if all 3 bought together?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Whirlpool appliances are absolute cack build quality - nothing lasts fro more than 2 years without falling apart. Neff appliances are really high quality - they last forever and you get no trouble with them whatsoever.

Advertisement