Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Appliances - Good Bad & Ugly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think that's it, i.e. that appliances in general are not being made to last any more not limited to any make in particular. We had an AEG washing machine that lasted close to 18 years without a single repair, and so when we decided to get a new one we went for AEG too. After three years the electronic control unit blew.

The internet being what it is you can find both horror stories and unlimited praise for virtually any make of anything you can imagine to conform your wildest preferences or prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

Mark Brinkely in The Housebuilder's Bible from the uk, publishes the results of a survey on the reliability of household appliances. Goes something like this:

Washing Machines
    Most Reliable: Miele, Candy (believe it or not), Bosch, AEG, Tricity Bendix, Siemens, Zanussi

Average reliability: Indesit, Whirlpool, Creda, Electrolux, Servis, Hotpoint

Least Reliable: Ariston, Hoover

Tumble Dryers
    Most Reliable: Crusader (not seen this one over here), Creda, Hotpoint, Servis, Electra, White Knight

Average reliability: AEG, Bosch, Zanussi, Miele

Least Reliable: Whirlpool, Hoover

Washer Dryers
    Most Reliable: Bosch, Indesit, Zanussi

Average reliability: Zanussi

Least Reliable: Hoover, Hotpoint

Diswashers
    Most Reliable: Neff, Bosch, Miele, Siemens, Tricity Bendix, Zanussi

Average reliability: Hoover, AEG, Hotpoint, Whirlpool, Ariston, Candy

Least Reliable: Hygena, Indesit

AndyH
    http://www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

We're moving into a new house in December so we are in look out for new appliances.
    I have checked some prices in various shops and as far as I am concerned the following seem to be good:
    Washing machine: LG (the one with a 7.5 kg drum and a silent engine).
    Dishwasher has to be fitted one so I think we would like to go for a Bosch. The thing is we wouldnt like to go with the basic model (branded by them as Classix) while Maxxi or Logixx are file albeit somewhat expensive.
    We are getting an amercan style fridge so no worries there.
    The drier will be a Zanusi one (have a basic model for the past 3 years an no problems).
    The cooker will most likely be Hotpoint or Zanusi.
    I know Miele seem to make excellent appliances but the prices are sky high!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

did a major job on the house 4 years ago and bought...

Fridge Freezer - Siemens, really happy with this
    Dishwasher - Bosch, has become noisy last year or two but only goes on at night so not an issue for me
    Wash Machine - Whirlpool, on at least once a day
    Dryer - Whirpool

All bought in Currys - cheapest deal I could get

All working out fine and all get major use, no complaints, would buy same brand again based upon experience.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What do ye think of that Samsung american fridge in the papers there for sale in Currys for 799 euro? Any good, waste of energy, waste of money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we had all bosch in our old house - no problem with them at all, well designed and reliable

in the new house its a mix of different things - most notably the Electrolux dishwasher is very badly designed - can only fit a tiny amount of glasses and mugs in the top rack without having to jam them up against each other (with the consequent breakages and chips).

Dishwasher manufacturers in general seem to think everyone uses small cups and saucers and tiny bowls. None of them see to cater well for large mugs, tall glasses or large bowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

yop wrote:
    What do ye think of that Samsung american fridge in the papers there for sale in Currys for 799 euro? Any good, waste of energy, waste of money?

I bought one! Getting it delivered Friday. I think pricewise its the best model out there by far. have been thinking of buying one for the last 6 months, ran out and bought it as soon as i saw the price, its about 400 eur cheaper than an equivalent model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

There has been an Indesit Washer in my house since 1999 and the repair man has visited about 8 times since, It is fairly crappy and I'm looking to replace it as lately it has stopped spinning and the clother come out weighing a ton. I am wondering which brand are the most reliable ? from the guide shown earlier Miele seems to be good. Anyone have any experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

You should check out the best buys on 'Which online', they rate all the different appliances. You can register for a free trial but word of warning remember to cancel your trial or they will start billing after your 2 months (or whatever it is) is up. Bosch, Siemens etc appear regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Am thinking of the Samsung myself, have been looking for ages at it, and hoping to order the whole lot of kitchen stuff end of this week in local electrical store.
    There is a new samsung model just out, v.similar to the one you refer to Yop, I think (is it the RS21 FCNS?). Shops are probably trying to clear this one to make way for the newer model. Asked guy in shop what was difference...not much only different finish/style. Don't know how true this is as have not done much homework since then.
    It gets good ratings in WHICH as mentioned, so this is what swung it for me, as have relied on WHICH many times in past and they have never let me down.

Today, discovered the Miele are having a Sale in early Jan, again was advised that it is a "good" sale??? as in couple hundren Euros off here and there..
    Anyone know anymore than this?
    Got a deal on a Miele washing machine, exdisplay, and hoping to get Miele dishwasher and ?tumble dryer....
    Shop where I will buy offered to take my order now and hold off on putting it through until Jan when I can get sale prices.
    Is there a catch here?
    Afaik, Miele dictate the prices on their brochures so they must pay stores commission or something...
    Making assumptions here so if anyone any the wiser would love to hear.
    This whole business fascinates me...Plus I am so excited and delighted to be finally buying these things.......As hubby said, this is my domain!

Great post btw, v.informative on hearing about all the different brands.
    I was of the same impression as RooferPete, that most of the big names are also producing the lesser known brands, so you get much the same for a lot less. Not all companies I guess.
    Same with cameras/pcs etc etc?

V.interesting.

Tobi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just an update, I ended up buying all our gear on Ebay with a company called secondtek.

Ended up with Baumatic and Smeg so happy out, will see if the "expensive" goods are all the are cracked up to be

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My parents have a "Ford" 1/2 size fridge that as been running without a problem for the last 30 years.
    You just dont get goods like that nowadays...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Siemens current 1400 rpm washing machines come with a FULL 5 year warranty (parts and labour) and to me seems like a good choice. Unfortunately, it is rather pricey over €600.

Siemens is owned by Bosch, though not sure if the technology is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

stay away from hotpoint. a load of rubbish. i would never buy hotpoint. you might as well throw away money.if its a choice between bosch and siemens, id go for bosch.your saving money but you are getting equally good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I have the samsung american style fridge freezer. I got it 15mths ago and am pleased with it.

I have tried several Whirlpool appliances over the years and would never get a whirlpool product again. When I went to get my current washing machine (Zanussi) the salesman said they no longer stock whirlpool because they had too many complaints about them.;

I was told by an engineer that Candy are not a good brand, it keeps him in employment. I've had a hotpoint washing machine and found it good but the drum got damaged when it was shipped from UK when we moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpsideDown

apprentice wrote:
    stay away from hotpoint. a load of rubbish. i would never buy hotpoint. you might as well throw away money.if its a choice between bosch and siemens, id go for bosch.your saving money but you are getting equally good quality.

Obviously a retail worker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

apprentice wrote:
    I agree....our hotpoint washing machine 1200 spin. has at this stage, a new motor, a new switch, and a new pump. also, its starting to noise again, so something else up with it. pile of dung!. the hotpoint dryer is working ok.

We got a siemems dishwasher..best purchase ever...5 years warranty....its a dream so far. its so quiet and it cleans very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

i recently bought siemens everything (gas hob, oven, dishwasher, washer/dryer combo) .. including a very expensive dishwasher and so far I am delighted with everything about them, they were a bit pricy alright but a 5 yr guarentee gives some solice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpsideDown

Did ye buy these 5yr warrantees or did they come with the appliance. If they came with the appliance they are only a parts gaurantee and don't cover labour. It's the labour you pay most for. In saying that, i suppose these machines are less likely to give trouble in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

the 5yr was standard, it only covers parts after year two. but beening honest if a company is prepared to give a 5yr warranty they are confident of the duarability of their product which would then give me purchasing confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all, bought all the gear for our new house only 3 months ago. was all Electrolux gear (Zanussi/AEg/Electrolux) fridge packed in in the first week but has been replaced no hassle and is grand now. Mum has a miele washing machine at home got to admit it looks like an industrial piece of kit but then it works hard and seems to give no probs. Some say they expensive but then if they last over 20 years you are spreading the cost. I would say to buy the best energy fridge you can as they are the one appliance that are on all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Dr. Spock wrote:
    Have to disagree with you there Pete, I used to work for Electrolux who do own many brands but I can assure you they are all different. Zanussi's are made in Italy, Electroux's are made in Sweden, AEG in Germany and so on .... (I had the privilige (torture?? :rolleyes: ) of travelling to many of the factories....)

your so very VERY wrong on that one theres one particular white goods manufacturer that makes appliances under 5 different names they're all the same except for different badges and different prices relating to the name

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

yop wrote:
    Just an update, I ended up buying all our gear on Ebay with a company called secondtek.

Ended up with Baumatic and Smeg so happy out, will see if the "expensive" goods are all the are cracked up to be
    I have been looking at this guys stuff for a while now how was he to deal with where they 'graded' and if so what sort of condition.I was looking at a smeg range style cooker but i can only find bad reviews on the net for smeg.
    I was also looking at stuff from tapsukcom another shop on ebay for taps,strangely enough,the stuff looks to good to be true.Both have great feedback just looking for your thoughts , cheers

Andy,

I am very happy with what we got, all either smeg or baumatic.
    All were graded bar the smeg fridge and smeg hob.

The dishwasher had a scratch on the side, it is integrated so no issue there.
    The island hood had a dent at the top, could not see it.
    The freezer had a dent, again could not find it.
    The double oven had a nice scratch along the side but again integrated.
    Washing machine had a dent on the side.

Advertisement