Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rma an msi x800xt pe

Options
  • 15-06-2005 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi i bought an msi x800xt pe abouth 6 months ago and it was never a good overclocker so i done the voltmod on it and still it did,nt oc very well.I sent it to viperjohn lastweek and he recieved it yesterday,after doing some tests on it he discovered its basically not a pe.The card can only do 546mhz mem clock clean in the nature test(default is 560mhz)and the core can only overclock to 543mhz.Also viperjohn said the cores memory interface is messed up and the cause for the bad mem clocks,thank god i sent it to viperjohn or i might never have known.Anyway my question is does anyone know if they will rma the card and if so what the procedure is for doing it,also who do i approach about it msi or ati and how long it takes etc.Thanks in advance for any help, Dixsey.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Sounds like you got a dud xt that was classed a PE - whats the warranty and guarantee with OC'ing. Don't they have some issue with non-returns as it was overclocked. Google before you address this to whom ever you bought it from to be safe and CYA.

Not 100% sure but i think you are ok as they falsely advertised something: unless they take a cop out and say "it was wrongly advertised" and its actually an x800xt or summit and then you rightly buggered as you OC'd it,but then you get into they charged you for an XT ....blah......blah,best advice i can give is google for other incidents and get all your reciepts and all that and evidence from ViperJohn to back you up in case. All the best hope you get a return.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

How does the voltmod work? If it involves physicaly modifing the card you might of blow all chances of getting anything back for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

Ciaran500 wrote:
    How does the voltmod work? If it involves physicaly modifing the card you might of blow all chances of getting anything back for it.
    viperjohn says its perfectly rma,able i only did the pencil voltmod and he has removed that,i am about to get onto msi and see what they will do.Thanks for the help.

Nukem wrote:
    Sounds like you got a dud xt that was classed a PE - whats the warranty and guarantee with OC'ing. Don't they have some issue with non-returns as it was overclocked. Google before you address this to whom ever you bought it from to be safe and CYA.

Not 100% sure but i think you are ok as they falsely advertised something: unless they take a cop out and say "it was wrongly advertised" and its actually an x800xt or summit and then you rightly buggered as you OC'd it,but then you get into they charged you for an XT ....blah......blah,best advice i can give is google for other incidents and get all your reciepts and all that and evidence from ViperJohn to back you up in case. All the best hope you get a return.

Nukem
    No it shows up on the display adapter info in windows as an xt pe with default clocks of 520 core and 560 mem but it can,t run the mem over 546mhz without showing artifacts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It's prob an XTPE BIOS on an XT card. But you should RMA it if it's not stable at stock speeds. If it is stable at stock XTPE speeds then tough...There are no gaurantees for OC'ing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

take the pencil marks off it and dont tell msi u did it, just rma the card and tell them it is faulty and it is crashing doing a 3dmark test at default speeds and you only found that out recently, there shouldnt be a problem rma'ing at all

Its clearly marked on the box as an xtpe and should run at default clocks without artifacts.If its sold as an xtpe but can,t do pe speeds then as gline said they should rma it and i wont be saying anything about overclocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dixsey wrote:
    Its clearly marked on the box as an xtpe and should run at default clocks without artifacts.If its sold as an xtpe but can,t do pe speeds then as gline said they should rma it and i wont be saying anything about overclocking it.

good man yourself ;)

Advertisement