Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a first "real" bike... some questions.

Options
  • 15-06-2005 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I'm a 17 year old in Dublin just about to finish his Leaving... I've had bikes before but the last time I had a bike of my own was about 4 years ago. It was your standard mountain bike 15, maybe 18, gears yoke that any kid would have. It was stolen and I never bothered to replace it.

I used to quite enjoy cycling and can definitely see the health / exercise advantages to it so I'm looking to get a new / used bike just for cycling around Dublin and the like - I'll rarely if ever be going off on jaunts outside the place.

Basically, what should I look for? And how much is it gonna cost me? Is it worth buying a used bike or is it more hassle than it's worth? I'm just looking for something basic really, perhaps by the end of the summer I'll reconsider my decision but for now just something that'll get me from A to B will do.

If it makes any difference, I'm just under six foot and about 16 stone/100kg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you're not looking to go off-road then you can't really go wrong. I'd avoid any form of suspension and get a half decent rigid hardtail. Look in the buyandsell and I wouldn't pay anymore than €300. Anything fancy is likely to get knicked anyway. If you're interested in mtbiking check out www.mtbireland.com. I'm the same age as you, doing my LC, so if you wanted to go for a few spind after the LC me and my mates could take you out.

Advertisement