Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA or MCSE Which is better ??

Options
  • 15-06-2005 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,
    This site was recommended by a friend, I need some advise.....

I intend to either complete CCNA or MCSE course this year, which is better?

What are the employment propects like after ?

I have no pervious networking experience.

Thanks TC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You might want to try this thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255707

A quick search on either this or the computers forum should find you lots more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Both are quite different.

Although Cisco are huge, I would have more faith in a MS qualification being more valuable to a HR person (i.e. a clueless person.) She most likely won't have heard of Cisco. It's unlikely she will even have heard of an MCSE.

Having said that, most networking people are not MCSEs...

Getting a job interview/getting the job is as much about good attitude and wanting to stay long term than being the biggest expert in your field. Getting a good knowledge of networking (one or two certs would be fine to prove you can learn the stuff) and getting some good contacts would be a better route to take.

Also, seeing as this is your first networking job, no one is going to take you on as an expert.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Topcat101

Thanks Guys,
    Think I'll go with CISCO, mainly cause theres a course run locally.....

I'll check the pervious tread for more info.

Cheers TC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

It very much depends on what direction you want to take.

If you are looking for general sys admin work including active directory, servers, windows, desktop support etc - go for the MCSE.

Cisco is a specifically networking qualification. It would be the easier option although the course and exam is more difficult than the individual MCPs that make up the MCSE. It would also be cheaper to do than the MSCE. Also I have found that the training material for cisco exams is a lot better quality than Microsoft stuff.

A CCNA won't get you a job as easily as an MCSE but chances are it may get you a more interesting job.

On the other hand, if you don't continuously upgrade the CCNA expires after 3 years - generally MCPs are certified for life.

Advertisement