Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler (?) / Immersion

Options
  • 15-06-2005 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

OK - so moved into our new house. The gas boiler is in the kitchen. It has some sort of timer thing underneath it - which we are not 100% sure how to work. The immersion is on the 2nd floor (3 storey house) and has two switches on/off and sink/bath.

At the moment we are just turning on the immersion to heat water for showers. I'll probably get a timer fitted to the immersion.

But just wondering does the gas have the ability to heat the water as well - or is it just for central heating/cooker? If I could figure out how to use the gas for everything that would be ideal.

I'll post some pics of the gas boiler tomorrow. Bascially its a boiler in the press with a round dial that turns from off to on and then to something else I can't remember. Underneath the press is the timer.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

The gas boiler will heat the water for you. As it also controls the heating make sure to turn off all the radiators.

Both the immersion and gas will heat the water for you, but one uses electricity and the other gas - the gas should be cheaper.

For the timer post up a pic and we'll give instructions depending on if its an electric (electronic display) or manual (round dial with the 24hours on it and lots of little switches). The on-to-off switch on the boiler is probably the dial that controls the amount of hot water to the rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

thanks for that - its a round dial with lots of switches - i'll get some pics tomorrow.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

If the timer looks like the one in the pic (never mind that its a plug, just the dial part is the bit I'm talking about) then it's easy to set.

Just twist the whole dial until the arrow points at the current time, that sets the clock. Each of the individual "switches" represent either 15 or 30 mins, depending on the dial, just count the number of switches between one hour marking and the next and divide into 60. For each switch out (away from the centre) means boiler on, in means boiler off. So for example if you want to shower in the morning push out the switches between 6 am and 7, boiler will come on ad voila - loadsa hot water!

The three way switch in the middle is off (0), timer (little clock symbol) or always on (I) - leave in the timer position if thats what you normally use, flick to on (I) when you want a blast of heat or hot water outside of normal timer hours.

I've just moved into my new gaff recently which has a Vokera boiler. If yours is the same type send me a PM with your address and I'll fire you back a photocopy of the manuals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I have both and only use the gas for heating the water. Aswell as being cheaper it also takes a lot less time to heat using gas.

Advertisement