Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF 2 Making them sick

Options
  • 15-06-2005 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I have a friend who can't play the BF2 demo for more than 20 minutes without feeling really sick. I remember this was a problem with HL2 when it came out as well. Has anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Did they see a doctor about this. Seems very odd. People did complain about motion sickness in HL2 which is mental imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

definitely a mental problem, does he only play it with a stinging hangover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBurningMan

No, no hangovers ha ha. there was a lot of players around the world suffered from something similar with Half Life 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Friend of mine suffers with motion sickness from HL2, she found some useful stuff on the net about it and it doesn't affect her as much anymore.

I'll nab the links for you tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Could be the refresh rate. Set it as high as possible, see if that helps. Ive had some headaches from this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Try experimenting with Vsync, turning FSAA on or off etc., 85Hz is the bare minimum refresh rate you should be running at. Anything lower is criminal.

Is he using a TFT by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

I suffer from motion sickness when playing fps's as well. I'll admit HL2 was particularly bad (despite playing QW for 3+ years). I've listed a few things below that i found helpful.
    • remove "bobbing" animations. I'm not sure about BF, but they can typically be changed via console commands.
    • avoid extended periods of play.
    • try increasing the fov (field of view) size slightly and reducing menu UI clutter if possible.
    • avoid any sort of movement all together and camp. A lot :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Only time I ever had this problem was when trying to play Goldeneye multiplayer player on my laptop in the back of a car coming up from Cork. Lasted about 20 mins and felt sick all the way home... :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Isn't travel sickness related to motion sickness? Get some travel sickness tablets!
    Wolf3d used to kill me, I had to play it wearing sunglasses :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dregin wrote:
    Isn't travel sickness related to motion sickness?

Yeah same thing. Your eys/head say one thing and your balance/ears say another and the conflict causes the sickness. I had it really bad as a kid. I used to be physically sick any any journey longer then 40 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I actually got really lightheaded yesterday playing for the first time. Now that I think about it, I was playing in the chopper for the last few minutes of the round. Could have been the game, could have been lack of food. Yet another unsolved mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Draupnir wrote:
    definitely a mental problem, does he only play it with a stinging hangover?

Lol, motion sickness is not a "mental problem".

Matt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I must say when i first sat down to play the demo on Saturday i got a migraine 15 minutes into my first game.
    My wife gets serious migraine and shes a nurse so i know the various signs of genuine migraine.
    This time i was getting was whats the classic migraine with like a blurring effect in one eye with a flashing aura.
    Im sure it was BF2 as i never had this type of mugraine before where as the wife has had.
    After an hour or so it went and i just had to try the demo again my wifes advice and a this time within 5 mins it was back :(
    I ended up abandoning my saturday with BF2 demo and hit the beach instead.
    Since then i have to say its been fine,thank god.
    My shiney new X800XL from komplett today will help too :)

Advertisement