Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Speed Detection System - perhaps??

Options
  • 15-06-2005 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

On Saturday, i remember noticing a pole stretched over the road, with what looked like two cameras with antennas on top of them. The location is... on the outbound lane(heading towards Naas), on the Naas dual carrageway, just after the Rathcoole bridge.
    Again, this morning, I noticed the exact same setup. This time the location was... about 100metres before the Spa Hotel speed camera, when you exit the M4 going onto the N4.

The reason why i suspect "Speed Detection" is because I remember a program on TV about speed detection systems being introduced in the UK. One of the systems works like this.

1. When you enter a stretch of road ie. Motorway, a camera records the time it sees you.

2. Another camera situated a few miles down the road, records the time again.

3. A computer analyses the time it takes you to drive the distance, taking into account the speed restrictions on your journey.

4. If the distance travelled takes you 3 minutes, and it should have taken you 3 minutes 30 seconds(with regards to the speed restrictions), they will know that you have exceeded the speed limit at some stage of your journey.

I have yet to get pictures of these, because I was driving, will try to get some pictures later today. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Could they be part of this new nationwide traffic managment thingy.
    There is one city bound on the naas road.
    It records cars near the wgieh bridge, and records how long it takes them to reach the RCR.
    It then reports back to a large digital sign on the naas road on the avergae journey time to the M50. Also it reports traffic levels and road conditions to a website, www.n7.ie

Apparantly this system is planned to go nationwide on all main commuter belts!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Looks like my theory has been shot clear out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The French do that with toll bridges. If you go through two of them quicker than you should have, you've been speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

prospect wrote:
    Could they be part of this new nationwide traffic managment thingy.
    There is one city bound on the naas road.
    It records cars near the wgieh bridge, and records how long it takes them to reach the RCR.
    It then reports back to a large digital sign on the naas road on the avergae journey time to the M50. Also it reports traffic levels and road conditions to a website, www.n7.ie

Apparantly this system is planned to go nationwide on all main commuter belts!?

Cool. So instead of guessing that itll take the same hour to get there that it has for the past months/years, you KNOW that it will take an hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I remember a program on TV about speed detection systems being introduced in the UK

It's a bit more advanced than that, but thankfully still quite limited in it's use...http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#SPECS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

These are traffic management cameras. What they do is take a snap shot of registration plates travelling inbound and outbound on that road. This data is then fed back to servers which record the time the cars passed the camera. As you pass another camera say at the Red-Cow roundabout, your reg plate will be snapped again and the time it took for you to travel from say Rathcoole to the Red-Cow is recorded. This is currently used for traffic management, not for speed detection.

1. Believe it or not the cameras try to snap all vehicles passing them and they get about 90%

2. You wouldn't believe the stupid actions these camera see!

How do I know this? I was involved in putting them in!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Looks like my theory has been shot clear out of the water.

Not at all, I havn't seen the particular ones you are referring to. It is just another possability. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Just to clarify, neuromancer, your theory is right, the cameras do in fact record your speed by the distance over time equation, but they are just not used legally for speed detection - yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I think Prospect is right....you see them in town beside Connolly Station too just monitoring traffic levels thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

noted on the n7 website it has an 'average speed' statistic, so speed detection may not be that far away at all.. wonder if they will have 'stupid driver' detection too?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The pole you see at Connolly Station is part of the malahide rd journey monotoring system. This system does not record images of vehicles but can read number plates and then work out time taken to travel from point to point on the malahide rd.

The system operated on the n7 also does not record images of vehicles.
    Heres how it works:

'Non-intrusive radar-based traffic counters are mounted on poles at the roadside at 500 metres spacing between Rathcoole and M50 on the northbound carriageway of N7. The counters collect vehicle speed, traffic volume and lane occupancy data from vehicles travelling on the N7 Northbound and send this data back to the NRA's Traffic Management System every 60 seconds.

The NRA's Traffic Management System for the project, known as ATMS (Advanced Traffic Management System) then applies an algorithm to the traffic data to calculate the current travel time. The system sends this travel time information to electronic message signs, known as VMS (Variable Message Signs) on the N7 and also to this website. '

Previous posters could be getting confused with Dublin City Councils traffic cameras which are used to monitor traffic these cameras do not record vehicle regs speed etc

Advertisement