Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast logo

Options
  • 15-06-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking back to when I bought my dreamcast and I was thinking of getting one from America.

Just wondering why in Europe the logo was blue, whereas in America it was red?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

wasnt the logo a power company or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cremo wrote:
    I was just thinking back to when I bought my dreamcast and I was thinking of getting one from America.

Just wondering why in Europe the logo was blue, whereas in America it was red?

More europeans have red green colour blindness.

Seriously I'm not sure and am interested to know. Could be that the a similar logo was registered in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Could be that the a similar logo was registered in Europe?

Yup.

I forget the name of the company (they were from Germany or something) but they had been using a similar orange swirl logo years before Sega branded the Dreamcast logo, so Sega were forced to change the colour to blue for Europe.

The orange swirl is much nicer tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Definitely the logo was previously registered to another company in europe, and so the colour change.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I think it was because of this German sites logo

http://www.tivola.com/catalog/index.php

• Advertisement

cosgrove80 wrote:
    I think it was because of this German sites logo

http://www.tivola.com/catalog/index.php

I remember the logo belonging to a software company or something and the logo being almost identical. Ah, my memory is probably off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

what i want to know is what the original name for the dreamcast was? i remember it was changed before it was released

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was always dreamcast. It might have had a codename like the Xbox 360's Xenon. I remember thinking it was a silly name when it was announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It was always dreamcast. It might have had a codename like the Xbox 360's Xenon. I remember thinking it was a silly name when it was announced.

It was called "Katana" or something (some type of sword) when it was shown as a codename

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

LIGHTNING wrote:
    Was It dolphin?

dolphin was the code for the gamecube i think

• Advertisement

Before Katana, it was code-named Black Belt.

Could have been worse. I remember back five years ago when Nintendo were about to unveil their new console, rumours were flying that they had settled on Starcube as the name for their new machine. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Could have been worse. I remember back five years ago when Nintendo were about to unveil their new console, rumours were flying that they had settled on Starcube as the name for their new machine. Ugh.
    Gah, that reminds me of the "Ultra 64".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dreamcast went through many codenames (i remember having a competition about it as a joke)

but the first was Dural after the virtua fighter character...the it went to Katana or black belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the dreamcast logo was brown not red. they changed it because it looked like a poo swirl

i'm pretty sure it was orange...

madrab wrote:
    dolphin was the code for the gamecube i think
    yeah i thought the "project dolphin" was the codename for gamecube too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i'm pretty sure it was orange...

sega_dreamcast_logo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    yeah i thought the "project dolphin" was the codename for gamecube too

Yeah, look at the product codes on the controllers and accessories and the game cube. All something like DOL-001

dreamcast_logo.jpg

from planetdreamcast.com

hmm

and to visualise the original topic:

tivola.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Oh God, the 'codename' for the dreamcast was a womans name... Naomi methinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

For some reason I remember Bord Na Mona had an identical logo as well around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

madrab wrote:
    what i want to know is what the original name for the dreamcast was? i remember it was changed before it was released
    Dolphin

Apologies.... Clearly the gamecube :)

Katana and Dural where the 2 names used for the dreamcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Rhyme wrote:
    Oh God, the 'codename' for the dreamcast was a womans name... Naomi methinks

Nope, Naomi was/is the name of segas Arcade board, the one that came after the model 3, i think, which was based on dreamcast hardware, but y'know, souped up.

Interestingly enough Segas demos for the xbox 360 were roumered to be running on segas own hardware, the Naomi 3, not the xbox 360 dev kits.

ok, i'm done showing off now

/me prays that i'm not proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Nope, Naomi was/is the name of segas Arcade board, the one that came after the model 3, i think, which was based on dreamcast hardware, but y'know, souped up.
    Ah yes, it was that rectangular box with all the blue bits and all the crap sticking out of the back that 'somehow' you could order and own seperately, why though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Anyone remember that ridiculous Ad for dreamcast, with the weather map, and they made the cloud formation look like the dreamcast swirl? They basically paid $100,000 (seriously, that was the price) for someone to use photoshop for 5 minutes to make an already swirly could formation look like a swirl. And people wonder why sega lost the console war :rolleyes:

please dont kill me i owned a DC too and loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

And don't forget the massive wad of cash they blew sponsering the ,at the time, woefull arsenal.

Someone in their PR department needed to be shot, preferable from a cannon, into the sun.

For some reason I remember Bord Na Mona had an identical logo as well around that time.

yeah i remember that not sure was it Bord Na Mona but remember some power/heating company had a similar logo but i think it went the other direction or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    yeah i remember that not sure was it Bord Na Mona but remember some power/heating company had a similar logo but i think it went the other direction or something :confused:
    That's right it swirled in the other direction, but it was the same colour.

I did a search and I can't find the old Bord Na Mona logo anywhere... so I'm not completey sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I lived in germany at the time and there was a german/austrian power company who had an almost identical logo to the dreamcast so i think because of them and a few other companies sega had to change.

Speaking of ads though, who remembers the class sega ad where they had the barbers shop giving cyborg style implants? Ong guy comes in asking for a cyborg razor cut and gets an electronic arm ala luke skywalker... that was a class ad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

i preferred the pirate tv ads fromt he early 90's :D

Advertisement