Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham skyscraper gets go-ahead

Options
  • 15-06-2005 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0615/kilmainham.html

A 32-storey building as part of the development adjacent to Heuston and the Royal Hospital.

Does anyone have a link to an artists impression or anything? I can't have an opinion until I know what it's to look like. Slim & glassy is good. Big concrete rectangle is bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Helzeena

Sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I can't find any photos, but this is the link to the TV news report with it in it:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2052065.smil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Thanks for that Flukey. It looks good to me. I never thought it would get permission, but I'm glad to have been wrong!

I regularly pass the current eyesore occupying that area and will be glad to see it developed. I understand there will also be a foot/cycle bridge linking the development with the Phoenix Park, Heuston and up to the Royal Hospital. That will be a very interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

ah great just what kilmainham needs, something that resembles a 1960's style ballymun flat.

Excellent.

Have all the planners taken leave of their senses?
    I feel an esb building moment coming on.

I am horrified and irrate about the designs coming up around my city.
    Im not a moaner Im not against the face of the city changing once its for the better, I thought the docklands project was successful I've walked it and spent some time in it, and all I can complain about is that the street lights are never on.

I find it sicken to discover that recent development in Dublin means building something as quickly as you can and as ugly as you can.

For example, i welcomed with open arms the development of Cork Street, and look what they have done. No amenities for young couples children, no open ground. They've built Ballymun flats for 2025, and flats is all they've built....oh...and a spar and a mace....oh joy!

Im not against building skywards. But dear Jesus, what are they doing to my city...

I feel a bout of Dublin in the rare old times coming on....

Shame on these artistic idiots. They will be frowned upon in future years much the same as architects in the 1960's.

Being progressive is not always about showing how abstract you can be, but rather looking at the planning lessons learned throughout Europe by the Dutch for example..and realising that keeping some authenticity and practicality..(by that I mean community planning) is actually a good thing, rather than making a developer rich.

Im sorry about the rant but this is something I feel strongly about.

I recently asked a friend of mine a simple question..she's a planner..
    I asked her why they couldnt keep the facades of the old geogian buildings on cork street...extend them if needs be and build behind them... (if apartments are the way it has to go)
    Her response was because "that isnt development, its not imaginative and modern nor practical" I was furious, my blood boiled...

what an idiotic answer, we need some forthought in this country as regards planning and design.

I welcome someone to enlighten my ignorance on these matters... preferably someone who is either an architect or in a relevant profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

I agree with you mostly bug. I love to see new buildings and lots of development and modernisation, but I don't understand why they have to build horrible shoe boxes! Have you seen the new apartments as you come into Ballymun from the M50? They are just about passable now, but I reckon they will absolutely disgusting altogether in a few years time. I mean, white concrete, wtf??? The apartments as you leave Ballymun are a bit nicer.

The old buildings are so much nicer when they're restored. A great example is the Westin Hotel on Westmoreland St (IMO).

• Advertisement
Advertisement