Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History

• 15-06-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing Art?Any hints or Tips on what might come up?
    Our teacher was crap for the Art history?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

.....Havent a clue. Kinda hoping at this stage that what is study comes up, our teaher was not great either i mean 30 mins a week of history classes AFTER school? Terrible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

i just spent the afternoon doing art history and man i think im fairly screwed if what i have studied dosnt come up..

irish art..
    bronze age
    high christian ireland metalwork
    high crosses... i need to spend my lunch tomorrow after TD looking over these :(

european art...
    michelangelo
    jan van eyck
    botitcelli
    donatello

appriciation
    i think this section is a bit mad.. im just really hoping for film or design.

oh the pain of it all!!
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Our teacher was so bad he never even showed us samples.
    What are the sections of the test and all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

section one = irish art

section two = european art

section three = general appriciation

there is usually eight guestions in each section and you answer one from each section..

do you have papers?!!
    if not go here...http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep
    and follow the links to the art history papers and marking schemes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I think there's seven questions in each section (could be 11), and some of them are questions within questions (like....write an essay on (a) a mytholgical painting (b) an impressionist (c) religious paintings etc, etc)

Section 1 = Irish Art.
    Section 2 = European
    Section 3 = Your art gallery tour, sculptures etc, etc

If you haven't done anything, I'd say concentrate on High Crosses and Manuscripts (more so on High Crosses) for 1 and then do a renassance and High renassance artist along with an impressionist. You should be grand with that....
    Don't foget your sketches, 15% go for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I'm not doing high crosses, I absolutely loathe them. all I'm doing is:
    section 1: newgrange(on the off chance), bronze age, iron age, manuscripts and possibly high christian ireland.
    section 2: preimpressionists, impressionists, a renaissance artist and probably the baroque period.
    section 3: exhibition visit, might watch some movies and do sketches tonight.

personally I'm hoping that the bronze age and the exhibition question some up. and one on manet too, that'd be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

eh isn't gothic romanesque cast iron? I thought it came up every year? like about either architecture, stain glass or sculptures? does anyone have the higher exam papers to confirm that?

Lol. Ath this stage im studying crosses, Da Vinci and Michaelangelo, and the Matrix. THATS IT, realise now its not possible to learn a course in a day, even with notes done out...lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

what % is the art history section worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

AFAIK its worth 38% =written paper and 62% = practical..

• Advertisement

Well then...that was bollocks. Knew the Muirdach cross, thats it, waffled on bout it and other crosses and how they developed for bout 3 pages. Did the Olympic thing, did fine there really. Did Last Judgement, did not know ANYTHING else on the paper apart from these two things. Still did not great, there goes any chance of a B anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

I'm very happy with that paper.. only because 2 hours before the exam I checked over the past papers and decided to cover stone crosses and gothic period.. if not for that I would've been fecked.. although I think the question on the gothic sculpture compared to architecture was a bit hard compared to questions on that section in previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

excellent paper ^_^
    I laughed when I saw the bronze age on the first question! my absolute best irish history section!
    section two was a mite more worrisome, I had to strain my gothic+romanesque stuff but it worked in the end.
    section three - gallery/museum = exhibition question = YAY. I wrote until the supervisor came down to my table to take it from my aching hands.

Advertisement