Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in Car

Options
  • 15-06-2005 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I am changing my car v soon. The only thinbg is the car in question has had frontal damage repaired
    I bought privetly knew there was a bit wrong but after a few years driving I can see this going downhill. I dont want to sell this in the buy and sell cause I know the next person will have issues at some point. I would get it sold but wouldent do that to anyone. I will however trade it in to a dealer
    so the question is what kind of inspection will it get or would it simply be a quick once over. Should a mention that the car has had a history or play dumb..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

bennyc wrote:
    I am changing my car v soon. The only thinbg is the car in question has had frontal damage repaired
    I bought privetly knew there was a bit wrong but after a few years driving I can see this going downhill. I dont want to sell this in the buy and sell cause I know the next person will have issues at some point. I would get it sold but wouldent do that to anyone. I will however trade it in to a dealer
    so the question is what kind of inspection will it get or would it simply be a quick once over. Should a mention that the car has had a history or play dumb..

Most people I know play dumb. Five or six years ago I bought a 94 Seat off a so-called friend. Although I knew the car had been in a crash about a year or so earlier, it looked as good as new and since it was my first car didn't realise what I had let myself in for. Within three months I had to change the timing belt (necessary at a certain mileage, but 48k?) and the head gasket went as well, two months later the alternator went. :mad: A year down the line I was driving on only half the cylinders. Also a year later I was approaching a dual carriageway and the catch on the bonnet went and suddenly the bonnet popped up and smashed my windscreen and dented the roof! :eek: Needless to say I hardly talk to the scumbag I bought it off.

My advice to you: if it has had its NCT or is due one soon and you get it through there's no harm bringing it to a dealer. But if you're cognizant of actual problems, obvious problems, then you would need to to point them out if you are selling it to a dealer or directly. If those problems can be solved, get them solved and then sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

not gonna comment on the 'ethics' here, but my car, and my mates only got brief checks when offered for trade in, about to trade mine in today or 2moro actually, so I dunno if they'll go any more checks on it before allowing me the value, but they didnt with my mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

I've been to a few garages over the past two weeks looking at cars and when the trade in question is asked all they wanted to know was how many owners and mileage. Obviously they looked at the car but out of 5 garages not one test drove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually dealers look around the car, they are pretty good at spotting repair jobs. They sometimes take the car for a test drive also to make sure it drives ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

bazz26 wrote:
    Usually dealers look around the car, they are pretty good at spotting repair jobs. They sometimes take the car for a test drive also to make sure it drives ok.

Yes some of them a pretty damn good - few years back parents were trading in car which had a door resprayed after a barrel fell off a truck and hit it. The job was spot on - really good job, yet when trading in the sales guy spotted it from across the street on a rainy day. Car sales men ain't stoopid! They may keep the mouth shut about spotting a repair coz they may be about to make their money back in some other way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Dealers normally just look around the car. My girlfriended traded in a 01 Corsa two weeks agao for a 03 Astra. She was offered the same value for the car as she bought it last summer from the same dealer. So as you can guess she took it and she was right to as well. Smart move.

The dealer just looked around the car, the car had scratches at every corner (no fault of her's, bought it like that), so i dont know they must make it up as they go along, so just shop around for the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

some places do a "scrappage deal" for 2k, whatever the condition or make, perhaps that might be a route you could try?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nuttzz wrote:
    some places do a "scrappage deal" for 2k, whatever the condition or make, perhaps that might be a route you could try?
    Would I be right in thinking that would be only if you're buying a brand new car though?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

MotorVation - http://www.motorvationcars.com - give a min 1000 trade in , and they don't have any new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Personally when dealing with dealership id play dumb......they never give the actual value of the car you are trading in!
    Everyone knows when buying a car privately to give it a good check over! ( Open the bonnet and look for panel beating on the side panels and open the boot and lift the carpet and look for evidence of rear ending!)

If the dealership dont look over it properly 1st before giving you your trade-in value......who's fault is it?

NOT YOURS MATE :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nuttzz wrote:

This usually means that in order to get this €2k scrap deal you have to sign up to a finance agreement through the garage for the balance, in other words a hire purchase agreement for which they get a commission from the HP company. If your trade-in is worth less than €2k it may be better to sell it privately, then get a cash discount of around €1.5k on the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

bazz26 wrote:
    may be better to sell it privately, then get a cash discount of around €1.5k on the new car.

Have to agree - its always better to go into with cash!
    Cos as soon as they see the ball and chain of tryin to sell another car, they are reluctant to give discounts cos of the work they will have to do selling your unwanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Well the car car in question 00 Saloon dealers selling them @ 9K - 10K it is v clean inside and out but under the hood tells the tale a good eye would spot the problem on passanger side.
    I think I will give it a blast in the next few weeks see how it goes.
    TBH it dident cost me much in the first place the car was 12500 to a mate I got mine for 7 and it cost about 1100 in bit and bobs since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

bennyc wrote:

why would u have issues, does the car pull left or right?
    many cars have panel damage, and even minor valence damage, doesnt mean they dont drive well. has its chassis been twisted?

lomb wrote:
    why would u have issues, does the car pull left or right?
    many cars have panel damage, and even minor valence damage, doesnt mean they dont drive well. has its chassis been twisted?

The car is driving fine no issues what so ever here no excess tyre burning / wearing chassis is fine.
    there is a padding missing from under the dashboard which I priced and would cost a sh1t load in labour thing is you can hear a bit of noise from the engine when reving also you would get a whiff of fumes on a rainy day when stuck in traffic. also the electrics were not fixed properly no major issues. I can just see things starting to go had to get the onboard computer reset a few times and blubs in the dash , electric windows getting v slow on one side. I was advised from my local garage to move it on soorner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

bennyc wrote:
    The car is driving fine no issues what so ever here no excess tyre burning / wearing chassis is fine.
    there is a padding missing from under the dashboard which I priced and would cost a sh1t load in labour thing is you can hear a bit of noise from the engine when reving also you would get a whiff of fumes on a rainy day when stuck in traffic. also the electrics were not fixed properly no major issues. I can just see things starting to go had to get the onboard computer reset a few times and blubs in the dash , electric windows getting v slow on one side. I was advised from my local garage to move it on soorner rather than later.

what car and year is it? u could always auction it.

lomb wrote:
    what car and year is it? u could always auction it.

00 vectra but I would feel better getting screwed from a dealer and letting them pay for fixing it up rather than someone buying thinking they are getting a good deal and having to fork out more.
    At least if someone did buy it from a dealer they wouldent be long finding faults and the dealer would have to fix it

Advertisement