Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streets Of Rage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Yep rings bells here. The Brain was indeed on the plane. Also there was a hulk guy in the scrapyard level that throws cars at you. Reminded me of the terminator he gradually lost his skin and had an exoskeleton underneath. I also remember the building level and the horribly difficult highway bit before it with the cars that ran you over. However the worst was the level before the boss which involved a huge maze that had to be learned off otherwise you could end up back at the start of the level if you took the wrong door.

The spiderman boss was great. they had to get rid of the batman bit of the boss though :(

Ah yes....the scrapyard was with that guy, and his skin changed colour everytime you damaged him and everytually revealed an exoskeleton.....

That building part was annoying, with all the soldiers....I don't think I ever got past the motorway part....

Lethal Enforcer was crap, T2 lightgun game was okay, SoR was THE game to own that generation for the MD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lethal Enforcer was crap, T2 lightgun game was okay, SoR was THE game to own that generation for the MD

Yeah lathal enforcers on the MD was a dreadful conversion. Loved the arcade game.

Have to disagree about SoR being the game to own on the MD. I've yet to find some one who didn't love probotector, rocket knight adventures and THE game of the MD, Gunstar Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

**SIGHS**

All ive been able to think about since i started reading this thread is streets of rage, golden axe and shinobi ...

I MISS MY SEGA

I need to get an emulator and these games .... maybe that will curb the urges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭SonicDoom2005

I know the feeling c-13....what i wouldn't give to spend a quiet sunday afternoon with my mega drive and play some of my more obscure games....like captain america, cliffhanger and true lies. An of course a few rounds of the classics golden axe 1 to 3 sor 1 to 3. you know the way sega has released the sonic games in one package for all consoles? I wonder will they ever release the tru classics like that.....I would die happily on the spot if i ever walked into game and saw the streets of rage collection for xbox....ah one can dream..... :o

Just out of curiosity - I know its easy enough to pick up an old sega console but how easy is it to find the games ? And how much would you be talking per cartridge would ye say ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

c - 13 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity - I know its easy enough to pick up an old sega console but how easy is it to find the games ? And how much would you be talking per cartridge would ye say ?

It really all depends on the game. Sonic 2 can be picked up for about 50c since everyone and their dog owned it, and rarities and highly sought after games like Gunstar Heroes could go for 100 euros or upwards.

Or you can get them free using emulators :)

The problem with emulators is that the odd time they will contain viruses....would you destroy a machine worth 1000 + just to play amega drive game? I known the tesco lifestyle shop near me was selling mds up until 2 months ago for €60!!! no games for the md, but they do stock saturn titles like NBA 1998 and Panzer Dragoon

Yeah, I should really look for an emulator for those ...
    Any suggestions ?
    Still though, its not the same as having to old sega.

Anybody know if those massive sega stores in tokyo would stock the european back catalogue of md games and accesories??

Gens is the best megadrive emulator.

You can get emulators from www.zophar.net

Can't tell you where to get roms from but it's easy enough to find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

The problem with emulators is that the odd time they will contain viruses....would you destroy a machine worth 1000 + just to play amega drive game? I known the tesco lifestyle shop near me was selling mds up until 2 months ago for €60!!! no games for the md, but they do stock saturn titles like NBA 1998 and Panzer Dragoon

haha yeah i got a BOXED, UNOPENED Snes for the princely sum of....2 euro!!!
    Complete with donkey kong country 2, then picked up flashback and another world..happy days :D
    Have an old mega drive kicking around too but i think the controllers might be fubar'd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

SonicDoom, I think you're overestimating the chances of getting a virus from a ROM. If you have virus software you should be able to scan the file before using it anyway.

Streets of Rage was a great game. Never cared much for the sequels. Possibly the best sound track ever.

Soundtrack was indeed fantastic man, really nice "summer evening" style music.... Although streets of rage 1 was a good game, the sequel, number 2 has to be my favorite out of the series... way better gameplay, way better bosses and more interesting levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Soundtrack was indeed fantastic man, really nice "summer evening" style music.... Although streets of rage 1 was a good game, the sequel, number 2 has to be my favorite out of the series... way better gameplay, way better bosses and more interesting levels..

Have to agree 100% with this. I own all three and as recently as Janaury of this year I dusted down SOR2 for a blast. Absolutely fantastic game. For me the punching sound (sad I know) and the music was the best on SOR2. Love the bit in the disco!!!

Interestingly, the PAL version of SOR3 goes for a reasonable penny on ebay for a megadrive game.

Favorite level in sor 2 was the baseball field when you get to open a can of whoop ass on those fat guys....

I remember that most of the characters had names which were the nicknames of some of my friends. 'Hey Beano look, I'm kicking your ass'. Well it was funny at the time as a kid high on too much sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think you fight him in the junk yard level but its been so long since i played it,i remember getting to the last level but got too annoyed by the cave parts,played shinobi on the ps2 but it kept the only bad part of the old shinobi in it,the way you have to go back to the start of the level when you die,streets of rage 3 was class,you could get a secret chracter 2 levels into that was better than the original 3 you could pick,some ninja dude,

Man the last level was such a bastard. It took hours of roaming around to randomly find the right sequence of doors. After i'd say at least 5 hours doing it I knew the sequence off but the final boss was a complete bitch. Anyone remember the cheat for infinite shurikens? If you put it on 00 and left it for 10 secs it changed into invinite. You really did need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah fond memories alright... I think it'd be cool if they made another RoadRash with a NFSU vibe... hanging out and talking tough to the other racers... it seems like something they always wanted to put in the game, but had to settle for those stills.
    You'd think the NFSU2 style would be a dream come true for them... riding around shopping for bike upgrades.

Every time I play GTA and ride around on a bike, I miss RoadRash... especially now in San Andreas where one of the radio songs (Soundgarden - Rusty Cage) was also featured in the PC version of RoadRash.

BloodBath wrote:
    Anyone remember the cheat for infinite shurikens? If you put it on 00 and left it for 10 secs it changed into invinite. You really did need them.

Think you had to listen to one of the music tracks while waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You know what would be a revolution? If Nintendo released the back catalogue of Sega games for download. Now that would be sweet.

(And yeah, I know it's not gonna happen. Pipedreams kids, pipedreams).

• Advertisement

Got me a MASTER SYSTEM emulator last night, called MEKAW
    Had a few quick games of -
    • Shinobi
    • Shadow of the beast
    • Shadow dancer
    • Sonic 2

Ah the memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I remember vividly playing the game F-22 Interceptor, one of the few fully 3d games on the MD - and it was a combat flight sim :)

Very very hard, jumpy and wildly uncontrollable at times, but I loved it.

Also, the strategy game Operation Europe. Great wwII strategy game. :)

Also PC gamers owe an awful lot to the mega drive and shmup makers Technosoft. Forget Dune 2 by Westwood. Herwog Zwei by technosoft was the first ever RTS game. Dune 2 copied an awful lot from it.

Actually just noticed this nice surprise on www.eurogamer.net

SOR fans will love it :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59680

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Also PC gamers owe an awful lot to the mega drive and shmup makers Technosoft. Forget Dune 2 by Westwood. Herwog Zwei by technosoft was the first ever RTS game. Dune 2 copied an awful lot from it.
    what about populous? it was out a long time before dune 2 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

on the memory card question...sonic 3 had a save feature...whichkinda ruined the game as it made the game piss easy to complete...

then the only lock on game in existence...sonic and knuckles made the save feature essential to get all 14 emeralds and the alternative endings...there were 8 variations in all...only 2 of which unlocked the secret final boss.

best game on mega drive in my opinion, that and gunstar heroes...both of them rocked!

Yeesssssssss!!!!!!! Sor Coming To Ps2 !!!! There Is A God!

This talk has made me take my laptop down stairs, hook it up to the TV and play Konami's fantastic Rocket Knight Adventures on Gens.

MD games could have a battery save but not many games had it since there was a lack of RPGs on it unlike the SNES.

Was disappointed with Sonic 3 because i beat it on my first go. Remember I could get all the chaos emeralds in sonic and knuckles on the first two acts :D Played that game an awful lot. Was much more satisfying than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

did anyone ever put in a sonic 1 or sonic 2 cartridge onto a sonic and knuckles one?

I remeber you got levels that were just bonus stages from sonic and knuckles, you might of been able to choose characters to do the mazes, you know the ones with the coloured orbs you had to change?

I remember thinking this was the coolest idea ever, and that i must of been one of the only people do ever do this, but im sure there were others. Anyone else do that?

• Advertisement

With Sonic 2 you could play as Knuckles. That was it. With Sonic 1 you got an infinite number of bonus stage levels from Sonic 3. Also if you plugged in another game that wasn't a sonic game you got a sonic 3 bonus stage that was unique to that game.

Advertisement