Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returned Engagement Ring

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

all im saying is "most girls" would like a diamond when they get engaged. it seems from posts i am reading on here, a lot of guys have an aversion to buying them. i have read posts saying buy rubies to buy gold engraved rings, anything but diamonds! personally i dont know anyone who is married who doesnt have a diamond in their engagement ring, that included my mum, granny etc.it would be interesting to see if u guys went, if u have girlfriends and ask them if and when the time was right would they expect/like a diamond as see what the answer is. then come back to me. dont presume to know what females think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tabatha wrote:
    it would be interesting to see if u guys went, if u have girlfriends and ask them if and when the time was right would they expect/like a diamond as see what the answer is. then come back to me. dont presume to know what females think!

Speaking as a guy who has been close friends with women all his life and who doesn't consider women to be some alien species that don't make sense to him...

:)
    tabatha wrote:
    1. i never said materialism was a good thing.

If it's not a good thing then why argue that we're wrong for preferring not to "play" to it?
    tabatha wrote:
    2. i never said money was anything to do with it, if u read my posts u will see i said that diamonds are not necessarly expensive.

Eh, read back over your posts. :)
    tabatha wrote:
    3. never said u wanted to marry

But you assumed that we were either married or if we weren't married that we'd be lucky to find a woman who who would marry us if we didn't want to get her a diamond.

That's the same thing as saying we all want to marry.
    tabatha wrote:
    4. why do u think the women wanted to choose it, well judging by some mens reaction on here i can see why.

Maybe, it's just my friends but, they all wanted to make the buying of the ring a "big deal" and something to be shared by both of them.

They also, quite rightly, didn't want him to spend a large amount of money on something like an engagement ring without she having some input into it. If they are getting married it's not "his money" anymore.
    tabatha wrote:
    5. (this is my personal favourite, still has me laughing) u go with that and when or if you decide to get married use and that line and see where it gets u lol

I've always had this view and expressed it openly. I've never had any problems with it.

I grew up as a very poor kid, and learned very early in life that it's not what you have but the people that are around you that matter.

Now that my circumstances have changed a lot, my views haven't changed and anyone who'd check the price tag of a gift, to see if I spent enough, that I got them wouldn't be recieving one in the first place. :)
    tabatha wrote:
    6. if u want to be different go ahead, make sure u find a different girl first though. also, i never took a personal attack with u nesf, so i never assumed anything about u and diamonds!

I never said you attacked me. You didn't. You were just critising using broad sweeping generalisations so I picked a few holes in your argument because I was bored.

It's nothing personal, I just think you're assuming an awful lot about people in your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

tabatha wrote:
    all im saying is "most girls" would like a diamond when they get engaged. it seems from posts i am reading on here, a lot of guys have an aversion to buying them. i have read posts saying buy rubies to buy gold engraved rings, anything but diamonds! personally i dont know anyone who is married who doesnt have a diamond in their engagement ring, that included my mum, granny etc.it would be interesting to see if u guys went, if u have girlfriends and ask them if and when the time was right would they expect/like a diamond as see what the answer is. then come back to me. dont presume to know what females think!

But why? They're humans not magpies!

Also, diamonds are perhaps not the most ethical choice - deBeers (world's largest diamond mining company) has a history of dodgy ethics and human rights abuses. Do a google!

And don't presume to know what every female on the planet thinks - your views and those of your relatives aren't the only ones in existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

. dont presume to know what females think!

That goes for you too tabatha.
    Would I want a silly over priced diamond ring? No
    and I know a lot of females that feel the same.
    Yes you may see things as they are in your life with the people you know
    as being a certain way but that are your life and your life maybe the norm for you but that does not make it the norm for everyone else or the whole of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The entire relevance of this to the OP is that because diamonds aren't valuable he won't be able to sell it for much, and no further (there are other reasons for not getting a diamond - I didn't because my wife places some value on human life and knows where diamonds come from). The reasons diamonds cost so much is in here because one poster queried this.

I know I'm not exactly following a narrow line as far as staying on topic goes myself, but can we just assume that nesf and tabatha aren't going to get engaged in the near future, before that particular tangent does get personal?

Talliesin wrote:
    but can we just assume that nesf and tabatha aren't going to get engaged in the near future, before that particular tangent does get personal?

Well, I think that's something that won't get personal. I'm sure we'd both hold the same opinion on the matter.

:)

Though of course, if life were a romantic comedy you'd be proposing to her within the year, with the final 10 minutes of the film being all about how you bought her a really big diamond and she didn't want it any more.

Practically writes itself really. To the word-processor post haste!

Talliesin wrote:
    Though of course, if life were a romantic comedy you'd be proposing to her within the year, with the final 10 minutes of the film being all about how you bought her a really big diamond and she didn't want it any more.

Practically writes itself really. To the word-processor post haste!

Hmm. Are you sure that it wouldn't run more like...

I end up single, alone and poor forever regretting not being materialistic.

She finds some rich handsome dashing noble who showers her in diamonds and gold.

Frankensence too!

Much more true to life!!

read the charter please.
    have a nice day
    Thaed

• Advertisement

Not in a rom-com, but that could be the situation about half way through the sequel.

[My attempt to get things more on-topic has crashed and burned, hasn't it?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok that is enough you two
    dont make me split the thread.

Diamond rings are not good vaule
    but may be seen as traditional,
    despite the appalling ethics of those who mine and deal in them.

There is no resale or refund on them and you will loose at least 30% in trying to do so. Buy a house first worry about a ring with a diamond later.

as for marrying nesf....lol...thats funny, u guys crack me up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

nesf wrote:
    A plain and well crafted white gold twisted band with the his favourite poetry quotes inscribed along one side, and her's on the other.
    "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"?

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"?

No. That couple went for Yeats or something. I don't remember exactly.

I do know a couple that had that particular quote done on the outside of an engagement ring.

They liked it, which is all that really matters. Personally, I think it just screams fanboy. But that's just me ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Talliesin wrote:
    No they aren't. They're hard to damage, but not impossible by any means.
    Houses have inherent value and can be resold, so they really are an investment, diamonds are cheap gems with the supply controlled by a cartel, so they aren't.
    Very easy to damage, unlike most other gems they burn.

Though it takes a bit of heat to support the cumbustion a gas flame should be enough

Re: Diamonds Vs. Houses
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00202.htm
    http://yarchive.net/chem/diamond_burn.html - burn diamonds with a magnifying glass !

IIRC the name comes from "Unbreakable with a hammer" so they are very hard, but then again a glass hammer is relatively hard too.

Not to mention all the snobery about the "flaws" that artificial diamonds don't have - yeah they can make them these days. Emeralds and similar gems can also be made BTW.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement