Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Games Forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Tis a world gone mad. O.k. a mod gone mad. My sig is breaking a rule, an accessability rule. You can't have alt text in your images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

musician wrote:
    You can't have alt text in your images.
    Agreed, if I'd written the software used there's no way you'd be allowed to get away with that, as is you can't have them even if you want to (unless we allow HTML in sigs, but that way lies XSS attacks and other nasties) :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah theres a market for it though so vbbulletin might get round to enabling it in vbcode or whatever it's called. Anyway off topic. Unban this poor innocent Pam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Is amp's sig. not in violation too cos' it has a .gif? I thought .gif's weren't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Loobz wrote:
    Ah, Amp banned me.

"OP banned for not reading charter. Thread locked. Forum suggestions go in the Forums forum"
    Usually if a thread is posted in the incorrect forum, its moved not locked. Why is this case different?
    Loobz I'd be very happy to read a complete list of precise rules and regulations concerning each forum on boards and/or a complete charter for boards posting and boards rules. If you can do a fully encompassing detailed report on the flaws and solutions to boards' problems we'd be very happy to read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is amp's sig. not in violation too cos' it has a .gif? I thought .gif's weren't allowed.
    Just animate gifs I think?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

amp wrote:
    I meant programmers.
    You don't have to be a pagan to sacrifice programmers.

Or milk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

oscarBravo wrote:
    You don't have to be a pagan to sacrifice programmers.

Or milk them.
    Them exact words were said before

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

people have read the charters?
    wow

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

people have read the charters?

I bloody well hope so! :mad:

*stares at tar till he breaks*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Im banned for a week by the way. Took a bit of effort to find out, but at least now I know how long Im staying in the Desert of Torment and Turmoil. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Not all charters are the same,
    yes the all have the basic rules for posting in boards.ie
    But a lot of them have very specific rules which apply to that forum alone.
    PI
    Paganism
    Spirituality
    LGB
    paranormal

these are a few examples. So save yourself and the mods a lot of hassle and
    read what is and not execptible in the diffrent forums. Not all parts of boards are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Loobz wrote:
    Im banned for a week by the way. Took a bit of effort to find out, but at least now I know how long Im staying in the Desert of Torment and Turmoil. :D

God yeah, the sheer effort of pming me. How traumatic for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i get quite traumatised at the thought of pming you......

I did so years ago, and I still have flashbacks.

So there we have it folks, reading the charter can lead to less trauma. And now the weather with Victor.

amp wrote:

It was actually.
    Here are the steps I took to find out what was going on:

1) Had to ask a fellow boardsie (mod) what I should do when I suddenly find my thread is locked and Im suddenly banned. His response was to post a thread in the Feedback forum if I had not been told already through PM.

2) Started this thread asking what was going on. I was kindly informed. But I got no indication as to how long I was banned for.

3) I have repeatedly asked in this thread as to how long Im banned for, no reply.

4) I PM'd you and asked. Finally got an answer at 1.42am this morning.

Im not even gonna bother figuring out how long it took to find out how long the bans for.

So....
    amp wrote:
    Practice before you preach, will save alot of confusion, heartache, arguements, pointless threads...the list goes on.
    I mean, how difficult is it for a Mod to PM a banned Boards member, even if they did break the rules for whatever reason. Its common decency after all.

And I agree, especially after this, that reading the Charter leads to less trauma. Letting a member know how long a ban is should lead to less trauma also.

End Rant, lol. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Well I'm off to read and memorise over 100 forum charters. God forbid I put a foot wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Or just get some common sense :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I dont think ive read a charter in my life (except After Hours once) Shoot me!

• Advertisement

Arabel wrote:
    Well I'm off to read and memorise over 100 forum charters. God forbid I put a foot wrong. :rolleyes:

lol, best of luck with that. Thats a lot of reading. Dont forget the fine print, especially the ones....that have a white font, cleverly disguised, similar in many waysto a chameleon. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I was banned from the UL forum for saying that Limerick is depressing and grey.
    Was a week long ban - for only expressing my opinion very honestly......

Isn't that against the spirit of that collection of ideals and safeguards we call the constituition? (Article 40)

* P.S. - At present I'm no more off topic than any of you folks ;)

*P.S.S. - Sometimes its the "different" posts that are the most insightful, worthwhile and amusing on boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Beruthiel wrote:
    I bloody well hope so! :mad:

*stares at tar till he breaks*
    argh unfair! unfair!!
    must...re.a...d...char..terrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Raiser wrote:
    I was banned from the UL forum for saying that Limerick is depressing and grey.
    Was a week long ban - for only expressing my opinion very honestly......
    Call the police

Raiser wrote:
    Isn't that against the spirit of that collection of ideals and safeguards we call the constituition? (Article 40)
    There are two ways that those constitutional rights could be considered in this case:
    1. As not relevant.
    2. As allowing the directors of Boards Ltd. to do whatever they want with their own website, including running things as they are currently run.

Loobz wrote:
    It was actually.
    Here are the steps I took to find out what was going on:

1) Had to ask a fellow boardsie (mod) what I should do when I suddenly find my thread is locked and Im suddenly banned. His response was to post a thread in the Feedback forum if I had not been told already through PM.

2) Started this thread asking what was going on. I was kindly informed. But I got no indication as to how long I was banned for.

I'm not obliged to tell you how long the ban is.
    3) I have repeatedly asked in this thread as to how long Im banned for, no reply.

Did I not meet your customer satisfaction expectations? Heavens!
    4) I PM'd you and asked. Finally got an answer at 1.42am this morning.

I occasionally sleep, eat, go to work.
    Im not even gonna bother figuring out how long it took to find out how long the bans for.

And even then you got it wrong (see below).
    So....
    Practice before you preach, will save alot of confusion, heartache, arguements, pointless threads...the list goes on.

But I wanted you to have confusion, heartache, etc. Nobody made you start this thread. You see that's the point of me banning you. So that you and others remember that there are consequences to your actions.
    I mean, how difficult is it for a Mod to PM a banned Boards member, even if they did break the rules for whatever reason. Its common decency after all.

It's common decency to obey the rules. A lot of people read the Games forum, and generally they stay within the fairly reasonable remit of the charter. Those that don't get banned.
    And I agree, especially after this, that reading the Charter leads to less trauma.

Wehay! S/he gets it!
    Letting a member know how long a ban is should lead to less trauma also.

End Rant, lol. :rolleyes:

I have no obligations to people who can't be arsed reading the charter. As you broke the rules, it's up to you to figure out why. That's part of the punishment. I find things stick in peoples heads better when they are traumatised as you have been.

I asked you to pm me in a weeks time. That doesn't mean I will unban you in a week, it merely means I will review your ban. I'm currently thinking that the Games forum wouldn't miss you. But by all means continue to argue your case - getting people to read the charter is the point of Rule 0. Great publicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thats not your sword Talliesin.

It's four foot long and made of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I love how the internet brings out keyboard warriors with superiority complex'. Isnt that right Amp.

• Advertisement

It's one of the best points. Really, the entire TCP/IP thing is worth it for that alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement