Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Games Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Arabel wrote:
    And Amp, I can only guess at how pis$ed off you get having to put up this sort of stuff everyday, but for Gods sake stop acting like a pr!ck.

I've gone to great lengths to explain my actions. I don't regard this as acting like a prick. Please explain how I'm acting like a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Fair play to you for tryin to explain the situation amp, cant argue with that. Im not convinced your actions are altogether still for the best interests of the users but I can live with it at this stage. I feel i have made my point now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

amp wrote:
    I've gone to great lengths to explain my actions. I don't regard this as acting like a prick. Please explain how I'm acting like a prick.

I'm talking about your actions. I'm more talking of your atittude.

While having a reasonable discussion with a member, you decide put an end to it by pratically calling them a morom.
    I'm done arguing with you because I suspect that you're one of the regular bunch of morons that fight da power for the sake of it.

Sarcasm in nearly every post
    Oh sorry, I meant that I created Rule 0 in order to have power trips so me and my admin buddies can laugh at the ordinary users.

Plain condescension
    God yeah, the sheer effort of pming me. How traumatic for you.

The post that really made me say, Wow this guy is either a keyboard warrior or really is an as$hole was taken from the "Banned from After Hours" Thread
    Also, in my opinion you're a moron. But that's only my opinion, which is over five years better than yours.

Loose translation, I've been here longer than you, so I'm better na na na na na.

I'm not willing to spend any more time trawling through your past posts to point out what makes me think your a asshole. But maybe you are a keyboard warrior with a large superiority complex (perfectly demonstrated in the above quote) who gets his rocks off by banning people and wainting for the thread in feedback, maybe thats your posting style and that you are really a nice person, if you are then at least try and remember that you are talking to another person and that acting the way you do will only cause disrespect towards yourself and other mods. Or, maybe you are a asshole in real life, in which case I pity you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

amp wrote:

The messy stuff that appears all over your keyboard every time Koneko posts?

Arabel wrote:
    I'm talking about your actions. I'm more talking of your atittude.

While having a reasonable discussion with a member, you decide put an end to it by pratically calling them a morom.

Reasonable? There's been very little reasonable arguments from most people in this thread. I've been accused of many things that just aren't true. But I don't mind - it comes with the job.
    Sarcasm in nearly every post

Being sarcastic makes me an asshole? Guess I'm an asshole then.
    Plain condescension

Again yes, I agree. I do tend to get frustrated by people who join this site and start telling me how to moderate after a couple of months of joining. Who would you prefer to run your favourite football club; a manager with years of experience or a rookie straight out of the acadamy?
    The post that really made me say, Wow this guy is either a keyboard warrior or really is an as$hole was taken from the "Banned from After Hours" Thread

Any keyboard warrior such as myself needs another keyboard warrior to joust with. Does that make you a keyboard warrior too? :)
    Loose translation, I've been here longer than you, so I'm better na na na na na.

I have more experience, this is a fact.
    I'm not willing to spend any more time trawling through your past posts to point out what makes me think your a asshole. But maybe you are a keyboard warrior with a large superiority complex (perfectly demonstrated in the above quote) who gets his rocks off by banning people and wainting for the thread in feedback, maybe thats your posting style and that you are really a nice person, if you are then at least try and remember that you are talking to another person and that acting the way you do will only cause disrespect towards yourself and other mods. Or, maybe you are a asshole in real life, in which case I pity you.

I don't moderate or post here to earn respect. I honestly don't care what people think of me. This is not a democracy and the only people I answer to are the admins. That sounds arrogant I know, but it's the simple basic god honest truth.

What I do care about is that the Games forum remains a place where people can discuss games without having to weed through rubbish. That you and others insist I do it for kicks simply not true. My initial reaction to Loobz post was "ffs I'm sick of people ignoring the charter" not "OH COOL SOMETHING TO BOOST MY EGO/SUPERIORITY COMPLEX!".
    mycroft wrote:
    The messy stuff that appears all over your keyboard every time Koneko posts?

Well she's very hot, so can you blame me? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

First off, I didnt start this thread to argue for the sake of it. I have better things to be doing tbh. I just feel that I have been dealt with very badly. I presume that if I have been treated like sh!t for a simple mistake, others are too, which makes those people have little respect for the mod in question.

I mean, fair enough I didnt read the stupid charter, but I feel that the mistake I made does not justify a banning. Take a look at the thread I started, asking fellow gamers in the games forum woud they benifit from a GTA game forum. All i was wanting was feedback from the people who know best, just to see if it would be worth it in the long run. Id say 99% of the people who post in the games forum wouldnt check the Forums forum to see if there are any up and coming games forums in the works. I do understand that there has been requests for different games forums posted in the Forums forum.

All I wanted to know was how long Im banned for. I saw Amps pst as to why the thread was locked and why I was banned. Jesus. a PM is one of the simplest forms of communication on the Internet. Could you (AMP) not just PM me and say "Weeks ban". I tell you, being a mod involves alot more than just being a pre-programmed robot who obeys every rule in the book. You need to show respect. Who cares if your "not obliged" to tell people how long they are banned for. If you did tell people, at least that way you would keep or gain respect. Your actions Amp, if continued, can only make you loose respect. Any dealing I have had with the other mods on Boards has been a pleasant experience. This has been the only bad one.

I have learned that nomatter what job you are in, if you have to deal directly with people in any way, most of your efforts should be focused on a persons overall satisfaction. Whether you are giving them good or bad news. If you dont, well, lets just say things can get a bit sticky.

Finally, the amount of abuse and disrespect I have received from certain people on this thread is ridiculous. Two fingers to all concerned.

Being sarcastic makes me an asshole? Guess I'm an asshole then.

Some sarcasm isnt too bad in small doses, but then there is a point where you just become arrogant.
    Again yes, I agree. I do tend to get frustrated by people who join this site and start telling me how to moderate after a couple of months of joining. Who would you prefer to run your favourite football club; a manager with years of experience or a rookie straight out of the acadamy?

Depends if the veteran manager was closed minded and not willing to believe that maybe, there is a better way to do things than throwing his weight around creating nothing but resentment.
    Any keyboard warrior such as myself needs another keyboard warrior to joust with. Does that make you a keyboard warrior too?

Am I a keyboard warrior? When provoked by people who think they are better than then everyone else then yes, yes I am.
    I have more experience, this is a fact.

Yes you have more experience, that probably is the root of your "problems". So many years of bannings and warnings and making people read charters has turned you bitter and full of hate for your fellow man, except of course anyone else that was here from the start, because apparently if they joined recently it makes them a lesser individual by your apparent thinking.

Just because you dont have to answer to anyone but the admins doesnt mean that you cant at least try to be nice. This, actually sounds "wussy" but I think you'd find that if you changed your ways even just a little bit, you might get more sympathy from more members and you'd probably have to deal with less idiots like myself trying (badly) to try get you to be more reasonable.

I didnt really want to post here, but the awkward bollix in me made me do it.

You want to ban people for an accident, fine, but at least think before you go around calling them morons and stupid etc. just because they may have made a mistake.

Also, you locked Loobz's thread, you then had to spend more time every day since then posting here. You could have saved yourself and everyone else time by just moving the thread. You've already said that this would lead to more people posting any kind of thread and expecting you to move it, but then you could just warn them or give them a slap on the wrist.

But obviously you wont do that just in case more people post random threads in your forums. So instead you are determined to create a bad atmosphere here and in your own forums.

But of course, what would I know, you've been here longer so your uber 733t in the world of forums. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Can we leave me out of this, to avoid the koneko-bashing that always follows?

ktnxbye

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, why care so much?

Seriously. It just takes all the enjoyment out of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Arabel wrote:
    Also, you locked Loobz's thread, you then had to spend more time every day since then posting here. You could have saved yourself and everyone else time by just moving the thread.
    Firstly, this thread has been kinda fun.

Secondly, Loobz seems to be deeply stupid, (s/he still doesn't seem to get that there was no need to send a PM because the rule broken was there for all to read, anyone with half a brain that was going to argue against a decision would immediately read over the rules, even if they already knew them, to point out why they weren't in breech of them) and really, a bit of a lost cause on the getting a clue front for the near future, so it's the fact that other people can read this thread that gives it some possible utility.

• Advertisement

He sent a PM partly because of a reluctance by Amp to tell him how long he was banned for.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Loobz wrote:
    I mean, fair enough I didnt read the stupid charter, but I feel that the mistake I made does not justify a banning.
    There's a very important key word in that sentence. If you think the rules are stupid, then of course you don't feel that doing something in breach of those rules warrants a banning. But then, if you don't agree with the rules of the forum, then you're under no obligation to post there. Posting in a forum is an implicit acceptance of the rules, and an implicit acceptance of the consequences of breaking them. Take it or leave it.
    Loobz wrote:
    Take a look at the thread I started, asking fellow gamers in the games forum woud they benifit from a GTA game forum. All i was wanting was feedback from the people who know best, just to see if it would be worth it in the long run.
    Oh look, another key word. Well, here you are on the Feedback board, and now you're getting feedback. See? That's how it works. And if you want to suggest a new forum, theres the Forums board.
    Loobz wrote:
    Id say 99% of the people who post in the games forum wouldnt check the Forums forum to see if there are any up and coming games forums in the works.
    Here's a crazy idea - how about starting a thread in Forums, and bringing it to the attention of the Games readers? Even crazier, you could have PMd a Games mod to see if that was an appropriate action.

But no, you decide that the rules are stupid and that the most constructive approach is to ignore them, and then to complain about the consequences.
    Loobz wrote:
    I tell you, being a mod involves alot more than just being a pre-programmed robot who obeys every rule in the book. You need to show respect.
    Why?
    Loobz wrote:
    If you did tell people, at least that way you would keep or gain respect. Your actions Amp, if continued, can only make you loose respect.
    Whose respect? Yours? What makes you think Amp (or any other mod) wants or needs respect from someone who thinks rules are stupid?
    Loobz wrote:
    I have learned that nomatter what job you are in, if you have to deal directly with people in any way, most of your efforts should be focused on a persons overall satisfaction. Whether you are giving them good or bad news. If you dont, well, lets just say things can get a bit sticky.
    If this was a paying job, I might - just might - agree with you. It's not, and you're demanding respect from a voluntary moderator who devotes time for free to the management of a free online resource you want to use, but want to be able to pick and choose which rules to obey.

I'm sorry, but meh tbh.
    Loobz wrote:
    Finally, the amount of abuse and disrespect I have received from certain people on this thread is ridiculous. Two fingers to all concerned.
    I'm detecting a pattern here. Now you're on the Feedback board, and you don't like the fact that you're getting feedback. Hmm...

Arabel wrote:
    ...or give them a slap on the wrist.
    Like, ooh, I dunno, say a temporary ban? Yeah, that's a good idea. Amp, take note.

Arabel wrote:
    He sent a PM partly because of a reluctance by Amp to tell him how long he was banned for.
    I don't tell people how long they're banned for, because I don't decide it in advance. If someone wants back in after a ban, they can make a case for it. If they convince me or my fellow mod, they're back.

oscarBravo wrote:
    I don't tell people how long they're banned for, because I don't decide it in advance. If someone wants back in after a ban, they can make a case for it. If they convince me or my fellow mod, they're back.

Amp must have already decided that the ban was to last a week because he replied to the PM and then Loobz could ask to be unbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Arabel wrote:
    Amp must have already decided that the ban was to last a week because he replied to the PM and then Loobz could ask to be unbanned.

not to put word in the mod's mouth here but Loobz is to ask after a week if his ban can be ended, doesn't mean that it will be ended though....

Oh and loobz, at least bring back pacman.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

oscarBravo wrote:
    Here's a crazy idea - how about starting a thread in Forums, and bringing it to the attention of the Games readers?
    WTF? You're right, he hasn't even started a thread about the idea there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Another warrior for the forces of good storms forth from his parents bedroom with his shining sword of justice.

Ah hail, Amp!

Arabel wrote:
    Some sarcasm isnt too bad in small doses, but then there is a point where you just become arrogant.

Arrogant is something you constantly accuse me of. The word itself means that I am displaying some sort of overbearing pride or self-importance. I disagree.
    Depends if the veteran manager was closed minded and not willing to believe that maybe, there is a better way to do things than throwing his weight around creating nothing but resentment.

Unsuprisingly you didn't answer the question. Which would you prefer? Who would do a better job? Do you think experience is a good quality in a moderator? But you won't answer this or my other points because you prefer to not have a rational argument, rather you want to paint a picture of me as an arrogant dictator that enjoys torturing his subjects.
    Am I a keyboard warrior? When provoked by people who think they are better than then everyone else then yes, yes I am.

You're not very good at it though. I do think I am better than you for a number of reasons. If you don't like that then I suggest you do not post to the games forum.
    Yes you have more experience, that probably is the root of your "problems". So many years of bannings and warnings and making people read charters has turned you bitter and full of hate for your fellow man, except of course anyone else that was here from the start, because apparently if they joined recently it makes them a lesser individual by your apparent thinking.

lol. Yeah, I hate my fellow man thoroughly. That's what it is. I have no problems with newbies. I'll even give them time to get to know the Games forum before I take action on them. But it's easier to picture me as a newbie hater for the purposes of your argument.
    Just because you dont have to answer to anyone but the admins doesnt mean that you cant at least try to be nice. This, actually sounds "wussy" but I think you'd find that if you changed your ways even just a little bit, you might get more sympathy from more members and you'd probably have to deal with less idiots like myself trying (badly) to try get you to be more reasonable.

I don't have to deal with you. I'm not dealing with you. I'm enjoying this and it's secondary purpose of getting people to read the charter. I do change my moderating style occasionally. Sometimes I'm stricter, others, not so much. The changes come from the way people post in Games.
    You want to ban people for an accident, fine, but at least think before you go around calling them morons and stupid etc. just because they may have made a mistake.

You're a stupid moron if you think Loobz post was merely an accident. It's like saying to a judge that you shouldn't be punished for a crime because you did not know it was a crime. Ignorance is no defence. In fact ignorance and laziness in this case is what caused Loobz to be banned.
    Also, you locked Loobz's thread, you then had to spend more time every day since then posting here. You could have saved yourself and everyone else time by just moving the thread. You've already said that this would lead to more people posting any kind of thread and expecting you to move it, but then you could just warn them or give them a slap on the wrist.

I'd imagine that most people posting in this thread have enjoyed themselves. Maybe not Loobz, but he's an ignorant moron, so I don't care.

But obviously you wont do that just in case more people post random threads in your forums. So instead you are determined to create a bad atmosphere here and in your own forums.

Firstly, they are not "my" forums. Secondly I can't make the connection to how this thread, which may not even be read by Games forum regulars, would create a bad atmosphere. Could you expand on that?
    But of course, what would I know, you've been here longer so your uber 733t in the world of forums. :rolleyes:

Is it only moderators that can be arrogant then? Because according to you, sarcasm = arrogance.

If you answer my points in a rational way, then I will reply. Otherwise, I give you the last word.

What a hero

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Nice Feedback CiaranC, now go away.

Unsuprisingly you didn't answer the question. Which would you prefer? Who would do a better job? Do you think experience is a good quality in a moderator? But you won't answer this or my other points because you prefer to not have a rational argument, rather you want to paint a picture of me as an arrogant dictator that enjoys torturing his subjects.

I did in fact answer your question. Maybe I didnt fully complete it, I thought you could put 2 and 2 together.

If the manager was closed minded to other views such as mistakes or accidents then I would choose the new guy. If on the other the veteran could take other peoples opinions and critisisms with resorting to calling them morons then I would pick him. The veteran would do a better job but is he was an asshole then I woudlnt have him. Did I simplify that enough?

I think experience is an excellant advantage for a moderator, but I would rather someone with no experience than some like yourself who likes to point out to newbies that he has coming on 6 years experience and consistantly calls people morons.

I'm quite content that I'm not a good keyboard warrior, I do not strive to be like yourself or anybody who spams or makes themself up to be a tough guy on the internet. And for the record, I dont think I've ever posted or even gone in to the precious game forum and I dont really intend on it either unless I have some sort of reason.
    Arrogant is something you constantly accuse me of. The word itself means that I am displaying some sort of overbearing pride or self-importance. I disagree.

Fair enough....
    I do think I am better than you for a number of reasons.

That rings of arrogance to me. You claim not to be self important yet you think you are better than me. Why? I've been a member here since last October, and I think this is the first encounter I've had with you so what makes you think that your better than me. Is it because I disagree with you and dont bend over whenever a mod has something to say?
    But it's easier to picture me as a newbie hater for the purposes of your argument.

I dont paint you as a newbie hater I just see you as a hater of anyone who dares disagree with you. If anyone happens to agree with me then thats not my fault.
    I don't have to deal with you. I'm not dealing with you.
    Surely you are dealing with me. If your not then what would you do when you are dealing with me.
    Secondly I can't make the connection to how this thread, which may not even be read by Games forum regulars, would create a bad atmosphere. Could you expand on that?

This may be read by some game forum regulars, especially with the title being Banned from Games forum. It may also be read by Ask Doctor Demento, Events, Humanities or The Cuckoo's Nest regulars or even just browsers. I came into this thread having onyl ever seen your name once or twice, I now believe that your not very nice (there's that wussyness again). In any other threads that you are posting I'll think there's amp he's an asshole. I guess it comes down to hostility, it giving a bad atmosphere. People not liking each other leading to smart arse comments people not wanting post because if a foot goes wrong you get banned. You say something wrong you get flamed. And God forbid you question a mod as there are always more waiting the wings waiting to gang on up on someone.
    Is it only moderators that can be arrogant then? Because according to you, sarcasm = arrogance.

Average posters can also be arrogant. Sarcasm does not always equal arrogance. Moriarty, for example, does not seem to be arrogant yet he was known for sarcasm.

I am quite aware that I may not have explained everything correctly or clearly enough. So, just incase you saw that post as not rational let me slip in a final word.

You (general, not you personally) act like an asshole you get treated like an asshole. If you even try to nice, you might find that your job might become easier with more agreeable posters. It might take a bit longer but if there werent as many long threads like this surely it would be better.
    I dont think any of what I've said either makes sense to you or will register with you so nothing will change. You'll continue to ban people for mistakes, you'll relish in these type of confrontational threads like this which you enjoy and more and more of time will be wasted in the feedback forum.

I've run out of ways to say that there are better ways then going in all guns blazing banning left right and centre. This only seems to happen on big boards like this. Any smaller boards I've been a member of have always had a relaxed atmoshpere where it was enjoyable to post. Here its becoming too much like school.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I've run out of ways to say that there are better ways then going in all guns blazing banning left right and centre. This only seems to happen on big boards like this. Any smaller boards I've been a member of have always had a relaxed atmoshpere where it was enjoyable to post. Here its becoming too much like school.

Perhaps you've realised:

(a) - These two things are not unrelated insofar as cause and effect goes.
    (b) - Perhaps (a) undermines your argument somewhat (not completely) that there are better ways of doing things.

EDIT: Also, pointing out arrogance is certainly feedback, but doesn't usually have anything to do with a mod's performance. If you think that arrogance or condescension are bad things then perhaps you should refrain from using them in your own posts in the interests of setting us all a good example.

The difference between moderators here and on other popular vb based forums is simple. On other forums, moderators are essentially janitors, cleaning up obvious spam, moving threads to their correct locations etc., and are happy to do so.

Here, on the other hand, some moderators see themselves as police instead of janitors, and are happy to ban people for nothing rather than carry out boring cleaning up tasks, which leaves the way clear for them to carry on their John Wayne style moral judgements on everyone.

Ill leave you to speculate why someone would enjoy that so much. I find the whole thing quite amusing.

CiaranC wrote:
    Here, on the other hand, some moderators see themselves as police instead of janitors
    Like I said before, if you don't like the way this site is run, feel free to go hang out on one of those janitorial sites. Nobody's forcing you to post here.
    CiaranC wrote:
    ...and are happy to ban people for nothing...
    Point out one example of anyone being banned for nothing. Go on, just one.

Unless you consider breaking rules to be "nothing", of course. In which case I can see why you prefer janitors to police.
    CiaranC wrote:
    ...rather than carry out boring cleaning up tasks, which leaves the way clear for them to carry on their John Wayne style moral judgements on everyone.
    Banning someone for breaching a forum's charter is a "John Wayne style moral judgement"? Methinks someone needs to get out more...
    CiaranC wrote:
    Ill leave you to speculate why someone would enjoy that so much. I find the whole thing quite amusing.
    I find the whole "fight teh powah" thing to be rather amusing myself.

ecksor wrote:
    EDIT: Also, pointing out arrogance is certainly feedback, but doesn't usually have anything to do with a mod's performance. If you think that arrogance or condescension are bad things then perhaps you should refrain from using them in your own posts in the interests of setting us all a good example.

I'll try not use them in my own posts but I was alwasy under the impression that a good example works downwards (i.e. mods set an example and ordinary posters see that as the way to post here) Maybe I'm wrong, maybe ordinary posters have to set the example and mods will follow, but I highly doubt that.

But on a side note, is there any sort of code of conduct that mods should abide by or is it assumed that they will not abuse their power?

An indefinite ban for such a piffling infringement is laughable, yes. If you cant see that, then I cant help you.
    Methinks someone needs to get out more...
    Yeah, I need to get out more. *snigger*

Ill leave you to it. Have fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

if they abuse thei power it would be reported...never seen such abuse

CiaranC wrote:
    An indefinite ban for such a piffling infringement is laughable, yes.
    A "piffling infringement" like refusing to read the charter before posting. Interestingly, you've already backed off from your assertion of posters being banned for "nothing". I suppose that's progress.
    CiaranC wrote:
    If you cant see that, then I cant help you.
    I wasn't looking for your help, thanks. I was hoping for something remotely resembling intelligent debate, but obviously that was aiming a little high:
    CiaranC wrote:
    Yeah, I need to get out more. *snigger*
    Wow, you're right. Excuse me while I rethink the entire basis of my existence. [may contain traces of irony]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭1

I <3 CiaranC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement