Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to easily get out of a phone contract

Options
  • 15-06-2005 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭

My vodafone contract expired about 3/4 weeks ago, as they refused to give me an upgrade to stay i decided to move to meteor out of spite basically :p

However personally i dont find meteor coverage good for me at all, i live out in south co dublin (killiney) and its average here, when i go home to my parents in wexford tho its really terrible.

Is there anyway i can get out of the contract with meteor? i presume not but no harm in asking :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Cyrus wrote:
    My vodafone contract expired about 3/4 weeks ago, as they refused to give me an upgrade to stay i decided to move to meteor out of spite basically :p

However personally i dont find meteor coverage good for me at all, i live out in south co dublin (killiney) and its average here, when i go home to my parents in wexford tho its really terrible.

Is there anyway i can get out of the contract with meteor? i presume not but no harm in asking :)

I don't know if you can get out of it but if you can't I know you can switch to their lowest tarrif before you quit. That way you will only have to pay the montly charge for the rest of your contract at the lowest tarrif rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Cyrus wrote:
    My vodafone contract expired about 3/4 weeks ago, as they refused to give me an upgrade to stay i decided to move to meteor out of spite basically...

Its no skin off vodafones nose (cliche) if you don't renew. You are just one customer out of thousands.

I mailed them recently with a well though out complaint over ready to go upgrades, and how, they are only EUR 10 cheaper then new ready to go handsets (which are in turn not that cheap at all) the response I got...

Dear Mr. X, Thank you for contacting us...our handsets are sold at heavily subsidised prices.... If you have any further queries...Regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vector wrote:
    Its no skin off vodafones nose (cliche) if you don't renew. You are just one customer out of thousands.

I mailed them recently with a well though out complaint over ready to go upgrades, and how, they are only EUR 10 cheaper then new ready to go handsets (which are in turn not that cheap at all) the response I got...

Dear Mr. X, Thank you for contacting us...our handsets are sold at heavily subsidised prices.... If you have any further queries...Regards"

What do you want them to say? "We ar esorry sir, we'll get them reduced to whatever price you supply us asap"? Why should they be a lot cheaper? the only difference is you dont get a sim card, which you are being compensated €10 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Cyrus wrote:
    Is there anyway i can get out of the contract with meteor?

Try saying you are leaving the country for good ...

Or downgrade to 'Meteor Leisure Time Bill pay' the LOWEST package (if they still offer it) or if not Meteor Minutes 75.

You can always put a 3 month pause on a contract at mymeteor.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats a 3 month pause?

cant downgrade tariffs for 6 mths as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

no, my point is why are prepay phones more expensive then postpay phones?
    well for new customers the reason is clear, a network can't heavily subsidise a prepay handset because the purchaser could just dissappear and they get no call revenue, while a post pay customer is locked into a contract.... fair enough

But my point is abou upgrades for existing customers, lets say you've had a vodafone handset on prepay for 3 years, spending 20 a month on toups, you are a decent customer, a nice revenue stream, but when you want to get a new handset - to "upgrade" in their terminology - you are slapped in the face, you're loyalty is worth little, indeed you might as well be a new prepay customer. so what do you do? you want a new handset, you move to another network that wants your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

You're kind of thread stealing here Vector (and for that matter, me replying to you puts me in the same group as you).
    vector wrote:
    But my point is abou upgrades for existing customers, lets say you've had a vodafone handset on prepay for 3 years, spending 20 a month on toups, you are a decent customer, a nice revenue stream, but when you want to get a new handset - to "upgrade" in their terminology - you are slapped in the face, you're loyalty is worth little, indeed you might as well be a new prepay customer.

Because what is stopping a customer from another network buying the upgrade phone? You've kinda answered your own question.

Anyway, €20 is not enough to give you a big discount, and if you spend more €40< p/m you should be on a contract.

And remember:
    vector wrote:
    You are just one customer out of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Can't you tell them out straight their coverage is no good where you live, they're breaking their contract with you, not you with them?

Advertisement