Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Music

Options
  • 15-06-2005 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

a few hints please peeps. . .
    im thinking gerald barry or tchaikovsky for q1 in the listening and maybe a minor melody in the written. this is just my own guess so if anyone has any more relliable sources do tell!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Ive heard Barry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 d_mac

No, not Barry ... anything but Barry for Q1!!! I'm guessing Tchaichovsky for the 1st question. It's been said that they won't put up either Bo Rap or Barry for Q1 and Bach ahas come up twice before while Barry has only come up once. I also have a hunch about irish dance music for the irish music essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I doubt* they'd put barry up for Q1. tchaikovsky would be nicer but then, my dream Q1 is bo rap and that just isn't going to happen(sigh). I haven't seen any past papers so I couldn't make any predictions, but here's hoping for sean-nós in the irish music essay!
    and no dictations. oh god I hate dictations ;_;

*=hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Its hard to tell seeing as how there's only three papers to go from, but so far Bach has come up twice as the long question and Tchaikovsky once.
    So maybe one of the others? But since the modern one came up last year (Beatles) maybe its Barry's turn? I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I quite like Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jennifer

Barry's pretty easy if you think bout it - it's so unusual it's fine to study. I'd say look over minor melody or backing chord question... keep listening to the set works for the week!! and we've 50% down already!! loving that practical option :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

jennifer wrote:
    Barry's pretty easy if you think bout it - it's so unusual it's fine to study.

Exactly. Imagine getting the Vladimir Horowitz section(the wierd bit, oh wait they're all wierd, anyway C4 i think). It would be so easy. The E and B sections are pretty catchy, while G is a short headache. I'm the only person in the class that likes it in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gaagirl

to help anyone whos stuck with memorising the order of barrys sections heres a little (long) rhyme that i find helpful, its helpful if they ask what comes after a particular section.

A brightly coloured chicken bought cake dont dare be eating cake coz eating delicious cake can fatten coloured chickens going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

gaagirl wrote:
    to help anyone whos stuck with memorising the order of barrys sections heres a little (long) rhyme that i find helpful, its helpful if they ask what comes after a particular section.

A brightly coloured chicken bought cake dont dare be eating cake coz eating delicious cake can fatten coloured chickens going home.
    i love you!
    on the other hand i hate barry, it wrecks my head.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I posted the system my music teacher tought us for finding keys and scales on the The instruments board here . There is some more in depth stuff on there too for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cinderellie

Actually I was told Queen were tipped this year.Apparently it's their 25th anniversary for something or other.

I'm praying for Tchaikovsky or Bach.Barry is pure evil.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt bet on queen. They cant realy give you dictation cus it will be a stinker cus its a pop song and the rythme is akward and the modern piece was up last year

a way to identify a jig in irish music is by seeing if this rhyme fits in

" a typical jig has a saucy beat with feet a tapping and rhythm alive"

it works really well, i dont have a clue how to identify the other ones (reel, slip jig, hornpipe etc) so can anyone help?

a polka is 4:2 (two beats in a bar fits in with Pol-ka, Pol-ka, Pol-ka). A hornpipe is standard 4:4 I think

if you can say 1-2-3 fast in time with the beat(or 'rashers and sausages' but I prefer counting it), it's a jig of some kind. if there's two sets of '123' in a bar is's a normal jig, three sets means a slip jig.
    a reel is 1-2-3-4, and I'm not sure about the rest.

Yeah count 123 quickly for a jig, with the "1" being the main beat. Then to find out if its 6/8 or 9/8, observe how many "123"s there are before an even more main beat. If you can easily count two "123" before the cycle start off again, then it's 6/8. If it's 3 "123"s, then 9/8. AHHH this is music its so hard to translate it.sorry; it doenst make sense.

a reel is a dead give-away:4 fast beats in a bar(counting "1234").

A hornpipe is 2/4, it has a dotted rhythm and is slower than a reel. It sounds kind of lazy and/or fumbling.

Not sure about Polkas. All I know is the "Kerry Polka". I think they're lively and 2/4. regular beats.

Then that leaves a slow air-the odd one out. This is typically slow(surprise, surprise) and thus often ornamented.

Does anybody know how to tell the difference between accordians/concertina's/piano accordian etc or can you just call them all a "box"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm pretty sure you can just say music box for accordian et al. Cheers for the counting tips. You all set for the lovely irish essay? :(

It's just learning- quite mild learning when you compare it with the physics i'm doing atm. How many marks are going for the essay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

A mere 25

<Jonny> wrote:
    A mere 25

No i mean for the essay only. I think its ten :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Yeah ten marks. Fairly easy to get as well. The first time I did the essay was in the mocks and I got full marks.

• Advertisement

I got 1 mark for my mocks essay ;_;
    apparently the corrs don't count as 'composers'... doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

lol. I mentioned the Corrs in my essay as well but it was about how Traditional Music has increased in popularity or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

what essays does anyone think is coming up. I wouldnt mind sean nos. Not likely though

I hope the harp comes up or regional styles. I know thoose 2 well. Im not so sure on the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I think it's 11 marks for the essay. I'm preparing an essay on Flogging Molly (A group using traditional irish music) and an essay on a composer who has traditional irish influences on his music

I've got... development of irish music since the 50's, the corrs(modern musicians with irish influences etc.) and sean nós.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

how long are the papers in music? I never sat a mock.

the core listening paper is 1.5 hours, and the core composing paper is the same.

dont bother learning dances for the essay its more than likely not going to come up. id say developments in the past 50 years is a dead cert. thanks for the tips on identifying the dances!

• Advertisement

from my own looking through past essays i think fusions could come up aswell. has anybody got some notes they could put up about the exposition in tchaikovsky, all my notes are muddled so i dont have a clue what keys, instruments, themes etc are in it!

Advertisement