Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 75 - Would I be mental

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Ah yea, I know such sexy cars. New Zealand is full of em. My bfs mate has a brand spanking new RX8 Mmmmmm

Rotarys are grea they just sound like angry men growling.. its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Curran wrote:
    They sure are.......and how id love to get a spin in the Mazda RX8 :rolleyes:

If MAzda went bust, would the RX-8 automatically become a bag of spanners/ pile of crap/****box etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Stekelly wrote:
    If MAzda went bust, would the RX-8 automatically become a bag of spanners/ pile of crap/****box etc?

Possibly.........but i dont know anyone who owns one nor have i driven one......so i couldnt really comment...

.......but i know people that drive rovers and i have driven some of the smaller ones.....not the 75........and have been unimpressed by the others!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:

Rover seemed to have a bad reputation before they went bust. This contributed to their demise among other things such as outdated production methods, an outdated model line up and of course bad management by the Phoenix Group, the colapse of the company was the last nail in the coffen.

To my knowledge Mazda don't have such problems.

bazz26 wrote:
    Rover seemed to have a bad reputation before they went bust. This contributed to their demise among other things such as outdated production methods, an outdated model line up and of course bad management by the Phoenix Group, the colapse of the company was the last nail in the coffen.

Now that told you, Stekelly!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Curran wrote:
    Possibly.........but i dont know anyone who owns one nor have i driven one......so i couldnt really comment...

.......but i know people that drive rovers and i have driven some of the smaller ones.....not the 75........and have been unimpressed by the others!

So because the smaller ones arnt good, and desitee people saying different, the 75 gets labelled as crap by people whove never had one. People separate the A Class from other Mercs, whats the difference here?

Curran wrote:
    Now that told you, Stekelly!!!! :D

I dotn think it did, people are still basing all their opions on hearsay and posts from people who dont/havnt owened a rover. There lots of "My brothers, friends, aunties , 2nd cousins best friend had a ROver and it broke down, Rovers are crap"

Lots of manufacturers have had a model in their range that is seen as below par, it doesnt make everyone say that everthing that manufacturer produces is crap. The same system blinds people from recognising a decent car in a dodgy range.

bazz26 wrote:

I like the cut of your jib

Yeah i agree every car manufactuerer does produce a below par car.....law of averages! (Murphy's law)

But to consistently produce cars below par is what give a company a bad name and guess who im talking about!
    Yeah ROVER!

He asked for everyones opinion and if so many people are saying that they are CR*P.......then ehh....they must be!

Im only 22 and ive been warned away from ROVERS.....so guess what ive done........taken the advice!!

I like the cut of your jib

Considering everyone loves Mazda :D , even though I only picked the RX-8 cos people were talking about it, the same applies to any car. People on boards seem to like (Random car alert) BMW 3 Series (Random Car Alert). If BMW went out of business, would all, previously fine 1995 316's now be dirt boxes?

• Advertisement

But then again he might get lucky and get the odd one that ROVER do produce above par and get lucky!!

But id rather keep my €24.5K than take that risk personally!

Put it to a nice 2nd hand car........but then again you cant beat having a '05 reg car eh????

'05 Lemon.......or risk of getting a lemon......no thanks! IMO ;)

Curran wrote:
    Yeah i agree every car manufactuerer does produce a below par car.....law of averages! (Murphy's law)

But to consistently produce cars below par is what give a company a bad name and guess who im talking about!
    Yeah ROVER!

He asked for everyones opinion and if so many people are saying that they are CR*P.......then ehh....they must be!

Im only 22 and ive been warned away from ROVERS.....so guess what ive done........taken the advice!!

Yes but my point is that this also works in reverse, just because Rover are crap, they may well be capable of building a good car, which seems to have been the case with the 75. Online reviews are good and most importantly, owners think they are good, what better way to guage. But the problem is, people dont seem to be able to accept that Rover made a good car, shock horror. From all accounts (bar people who never owned one) the 75 is a top notch car for the money.

Stekelly wrote:
    Considering everyone loves Mazda :D , even though I only picked the RX-8 cos people were talking about it, the same applies to any car. People on boards seem to like (Random car alert) BMW 3 Series (Random Car Alert). If BMW went out of business, would all, previously fine 1995 316's now be dirt boxes?

HMMM............never in my time have i heard of a ROVER model with a good reputation....... as being fun to drive, and reliable!

But i could be proven wrong!

Curran wrote:
    HMMM............never in my time have i heard of a ROVER model with a good reputation as being fun to drive, and reliable!

But i could be proven wrong!

The people who own the 75 (and honest john) speak highly of it, so surely they know best.

Stekelly wrote:

Hmmm well, regardless of your reasoning. I don't like to hear any rotary bashing :o they're just way to sexy ;) lol

^^ lord! could I sound more like a girl!! lol its true tho :p

Stekelly wrote:
    The people who own the 75 (and honest john) speak highly of it, so surely they know best.

Ok.....so maybe they produced one good car............PODGE.....go out and buy you and let us know how it goes for you in about 6 months time!!!

Hope you buy a car that you enjoy, was worth the money you pay for it and all goes well..........honestly!!

Curran wrote:
    Hope you buy a car that you enjoy, was worth the money you pay for it and all goes well..........honestly!!

I did, I bought an Accord, and I like it very much :)

Stekelly wrote:
    I did, I bought an Accord, and I like it very much :)

Well good for you...........but when i said that i meant it for PODGE ...:D

And may i say you had the sense to buy a decent motor SIR! ;)

Very nice cars indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Thanks for all the contributions. Glad to see some lively debate on the issue :)

For the record, the car I am looking at is the 1.8 petrol base model - price before the collapse was about €30,500.

It seems obvious that the general opinion on Rover cars is quite low, and desevedly so. Apart from the 75, Rover haven't made a good car in years and I would not buy a 25/45. The 75, however, was designed when BMW were in charge and, as pointed out earlier, some 75s carry a BMW engine.

All cars are bad investments. My new model Primera will loose nearly 40% of its value in the first 2 years. One of the main reasons I am looking at the 75 is that is is different (some would say for all the wrong reasons!). I find most Japenese cars boring to look at and to drive.

Anyhoo, I'm still undecided - although the contributors to this thread have really made me realise that if I do sell the car within 5 years, I shouldn,t advertise it here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Its too dear for a 1.8 base tbh, still its ur money, would u not fancy a 97/98 7 series bmw 728i, cheap to buy, run, and a 100 grand car under it all, urs for 10 or 11.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Stekelly wrote:
    Before rover went out of business they had a reputation for making crap cars, that's why they just changed them all to MG, so everyone would now think that they're cool. Basically Rover made bad cars, kept changing hands and now is bust, so you can say they're bad cars. BMW have a good reputation for making good cars, they aren't constantly getting sold and constant talk of them going bust, so I don't think that's a far comparision to say if BMW went bust tomorrow would everyone think all their cars are awful (because it's not gonna happen as they make good cars). I don't know if I made my point very clear but hopefully you guys know what I'm saying.

To the OP, my Dad had a Rover, just got rid of it this week, good riddance, nothing but trouble, said he'd never buy a Rover again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As unkel says, 20% discount off list is not good enough. I wouldn't even consider it unless I got at least 30%. And I wouldn't be convinced that Rover 75s are being "snapped up" and that there are hardly any left. That could just be a salesman ploy to get you to buy and to keep the discount down. There is a Rover dealer (Brady's, who also do Mitsubishi) in Cavan and they have a yard full of unsold Rovers and MGs. I can't recall if any of them were 75s but you could contact them and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i think u would be mad to buy a rover,as it will depriciate loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Alfa at any stage...Blah Blah alfa are useless blah blah...yeah, i've had to return my 2 Alfa's to the garage ehhhh oh no wait, I haven't had to return them at all cos I've had no problems with them....

funny that...

blah blah alfa!

BrianD3 wrote:
    As unkel says, 20% discount off list is not good enough. I wouldn't even consider it unless I got at least 30%. And I wouldn't be convinced that Rover 75s are being "snapped up" and that there are hardly any left. That could just be a salesman ploy to get you to buy and to keep the discount down. There is a Rover dealer (Brady's, who also do Mitsubishi) in Cavan and they have a yard full of unsold Rovers and MGs. I can't recall if any of them were 75s but you could contact them and see.

Whethet its lies or not, I am finding it very difficult to source these cars, especially the 1.8 base mode. I think a lot of people like myself who can only afford a Primera/Avensis are looking to trade-up (at least I think it would be a trade-up!)

Any Rover 75 owner/drivers out there who would like to comment?

OK guys, to finish this off, I've added a poll.

I will have to decide tomorrow morning so help me to make the right decision ( I know, don't buy it!)

Thanks to everyone who contributed

podge3 wrote:
    OK guys, to finish this off, I've added a poll.

I will have to decide tomorrow morning so help me to make the right decision
    ( I know, don't buy it!)

Thanks to everyone who contributed

Wow....you can read minds.......wait.....so can i! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    And I wouldn't be convinced that Rover 75s are being "snapped up" and that there are hardly any left

Yep, I'm not buying that either
    podge3 wrote:
    Whethet its lies or not, I am finding it very difficult to source these cars

It would be great if you could elaborate on that. Let us know how you're deciding, either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your heart is set on a 75 then have a look at this one.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=252877

Less risk spending €8k rather than €25k on a new one. Probably buy it for less with straight cash deal. I know there is 85k on the clock but it will not make a difference come selling time and it has the BMW diesel engine.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    If your heart is set on a 75 then have a look at this one.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=252877

Less risk spending €8k rather than €25k on a new one. Probably buy it for less with straight cash deal. I know there is 85k on the clock but it will not make a difference come selling time and it has the BMW diesel engine.

Yeah.....have to 2nd bazz26's opinion on that one.......if ya have your heart set on a 75 :rolleyes:

Advertisement