Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 75 - Would I be mental

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great find, bazz26. This bargain will be snapped up soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

unkel wrote:
    Yep, I'm not buying that either

It would be great if you could elaborate on that. Let us know how you're deciding, either way :)

I am living in the midlands and I have tried the Rover dealers in the following counties for a new 75 with no success:

Tipperary, Kilkenny, Waterford, Cork.

I also tried White Bishop in Dublin and 1 or 2 other Dublin dealers with no luck.

bazz26 wrote:
    If your heart is set on a 75 then have a look at this one.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=252877

Less risk spending €8k rather than €25k on a new one. Probably buy it for less with straight cash deal. I know there is 85k on the clock but it will not make a difference come selling time and it has the BMW diesel engine.

Doesn't this car kinda prove to all you Rover bashers out there that they are a good buy? :D

A five year old car with 85,000 on the clock and its 8K - its28k new, so 5 years motoring for 20k in a big car ain't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

podge3 wrote:
    Doesn't this car kinda prove to all you Rover bashers out there that they are a good buy? :D

A five year old car with 85,000 on the clock and its 8K - its28k new, so 5 years motoring for 20k in a big car ain't bad
    its diesel though, ur petrol will b worth 3 or 3500 after 5 years or 21000 for 5 years use or 4 grand a year. with finance cost,petrol, insurance and tax id say u are looking at 8 grand a year every year providing u keep it 5 years.

sounds pricey if u went for a 98 728i i reakon ud get ur costs below 4.5, and its a far superior car also. not new but then u get nothing for nothing.

lomb wrote:
    its diesel though, ur petrol will b worth 3 or 3500 after 5 years or 21000 for 5 years use or 4 grand a year. with finance cost,petrol, insurance and tax id say u are looking at 8 grand a year every year providing u keep it 5 years.

sounds pricey if u went for a 98 728i i reakon ud get ur costs below 4.5, and its a far superior car also. not new but then u get nothing for nothing.

Lomb

I really don't want/need a big car (a honda 50 with a side car would probably do me), so Beemer 7 series is not for me. I do take your point, however, that a big car like the 7 series is a good second hand buy.

As for the 75 petrol/diesel, I don't really do high mileage so the running costs shouldn't be all that different.

I have thought of of buying a secondhand 75 but the prices seem too high compared to a new one the following are the cheapest prices for the 1.8 base model on CBG/Carzone

2001 - 13k
    2002 - 15k
    2003 - 17,750
    2004 - 23k (elite model)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

podge3 wrote:

The list price on that diesel today is at least €38k according to carzone.ie so it has lost €30k in 5 years. :eek:

I still don't think they are a good buy imo but I would rather risk spending €8k on one than €25K.

If you buy a new one I reckon you will loose at least the price of that 2000 diesel model in depreciation in the next year alone due to the collapse.

This sounds like financial suicide to me but if you can live with that then so be it.

bazz26 wrote:
    The list price on that diesel today is at least €38k according to carzone.ie so it has lost €30k in 5 years. :eek:

I think the list price for the classic 2L diesel was 35k before the 20% discount, so its €28,195 today from K&C Garages in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had one as a hire car, and it was awful. spec was great, but it handled badly, and was absoutely gutless.

add to that that every rover owner i know has had unending problems with them, and it's a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

podge3 wrote:
    I think the list price for the classic 2L diesel was 35k before the 20% discount, so its €28,195 today from K&C Garages in Dublin.

Well the list price for the cheapest diesel version according to carzone.ie is the 2.0 CDTI Classic Elite at €38,650 excluding delivery and metalic paint.

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=42604820040419&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Also the 2000 diesel one for €8k probably would not have been bought at 20% discount when new.

Anyway I'm going to sign off on this topic as it looks like you have made your decision already.

bazz26 wrote:
    Well the list price for the cheapest diesel version according to carzone.ie is the 2.0 CDTI Classic Elite at €38,650 excluding delivery and metalic paint.

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=42604820040419&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Also the 2000 diesel one for €8k probably would not have been bought at 20% discount when new.

Anyway I'm going to sign off on this topic as it looks like you have made your decision already.

Thanks for your input, bazz.

The Carzone prices are before the 20% reduction. I have the pricelist from K&C Garages and the before/after price for the cheapest diesel is €35120/€28195 ("Classic" model"). Dunno which price is right.

• Advertisement

podge3 wrote:
    I have the pricelist from K&C Garages

They don't seem to have it on their website. How helpful is that in the year 2005? :rolleyes:

unkel wrote:
    They don't seem to have it on their website. How helpful is that in the year 2005? :rolleyes:

I picked it up when I was in the garage last Saturday.

Prices range from €24095 (1.8 base model) to €35,115 (2L CDTi connoisseur SE Elite). Met paint €769 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I actually took one of the diesels for a test drive a few days ago up in blanch.

Great car but still not worth the money given the residuals. I'm interested in a second hand one but he was trying to convince me that the 1 and 2 year olds were practically the same price as the (discounted) new ones. My arguement that the discount on the new models should now be reflected in the second-hand ones didn't seem to make any sense to him.

He also tryed to convince me that the discount meant the car would still be worth what I paid for it in two years time (wot with the 'depreciation' already built into the price :rolleyes: )

Needless to say he didn't make the sale, especially after an insulting trade-in offer.

I'm still convinced they're a great second-hand buy though.

(btw the classic diesel was working out at just under 30k with metallic and delivery. Wouldn't budge on price but there was a 0% finance offer for 2/3s of the price over 3 years)

Bluehair wrote:
    he was trying to convince me that the 1 and 2 year olds were practically the same price as the (discounted) new ones. My arguement that the discount on the new models should now be reflected in the second-hand ones didn't seem to make any sense to him.

He also tryed to convince me that the discount meant the car would still be worth what I paid for it in two years time

Insulting your intelligence or what? :rolleyes:

If it is true that stock is drying up (which I would find very hard to believe), there must be loads of eejits out there that believe that BS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

unkel wrote:
    Insulting your intelligence or what? :rolleyes:

If it is true that stock is drying up (which I would find very hard to believe), there must be loads of eejits out there that believe that BS...

Yeah, but that's dealer stock. They've been watching the writing on the wall and reducing forecourt stock - or at least they ought to have been.

Rover UK probably have loads more - but they'll probably be sold through thhe UK discounters (eventually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pchead

Podge

Did you buy the vehicle?

If so, how do you find it so far?

pchead wrote:
    Podge

Did you buy the vehicle?

If so, how do you find it so far?

Haven't made up my mind yet!

Poll results aren't all that bad, I suppose. A couple of more positives would help though :D

podge3 wrote:
    A couple of more positives would help though :D

As would a bigger discount :D

Sit tight for now!

unkel wrote:
    Sit tight for now!

Do you know something that I don't? :)

Unless Rover Ireland are going to find a couple of hundred more cars somewhere or import some from the Uk, I think most of the stock of 75s (at least) is exhausted.

I have carried out quite a bit of research on the spares issue, and I don't think it will be a problem. I don't really know what to do.

Thanks again

Just found out that there were about 400 new MGR cars in Ireland when the company went bust.

Still don't know how may were 75s

• Advertisement

podge3 wrote:

Nope :)

Just find it hard to believe that stock is running out when the discount is only 20%. But I suppose that, if you've rung every dealer telling them you're eager to buy and most say they've none left, then that must be true...

Keep us updated anyway!

podge3 wrote:

Unless Rover Ireland are going to find a couple of hundred more cars somewhere or import some from the Uk, I think most of the stock of 75s (at least) is exhausted.

I have carried out quite a bit of research on the spares issue, and I don't think it will be a problem. I don't really know what to do.

Thanks again

no car is a good investment, if u like the car and have budgeted for it, go for it, a rover would be no worse than a maxima or honda legend etc, but bear one thing in mind, a low depreciating car even costing 6 or 7 grand more may cost the same to run as a 24 grand depreciating rover, but if u like the car and the 75 is unique go for it.

lomb wrote:
    go for it, a rover would be no worse than a maxima

Aye the Nissan Maxima seems to be the car with the highest depreciation over 3 years so obviously the rover can not be worse than the worst. If OP should buy the 75, he will need to own it for a long time :)

unkel wrote:
    Nope :)

Just find it hard to believe that stock is running out when the discount is only 20%. But I suppose that, if you've rung every dealer telling them you're eager to buy and most say they've none left, then that must be true...

Keep us updated anyway!

Just spoke to Ryans in Blanch (Rover dealer) and all their stock is gone. He also said all Irish stock of 75s are gone, but their may be a chance that some can be imported from the UK. He took my name and added it to a list of about 10 others that are also waiting to buy (if you can believe that)

Don't really see why he would lie, as he has nothing to sell

P.S.

He also said that Rover Ireland initially thought that stock would last 6-8 months. As it turns out, they got about 6-8 weeks.

podge3 wrote:
    Don't really see why he would lie, as he has nothing to sell

That was my point exactlty, and that's why I DID believe you :)

unkel wrote:
    That was my point exactlty, and that's why I DID believe you :)

At this stage I am inclined to believe that nearly all Rover stock is exhausted. Barring a major conspiracy involving the 12 or so Rover dealers I have spoken to, and MG Rover HQ in Dublin, there appears to be very few cars left. One thing I can't understand, though, is why the 25s and 45s sold so fast??.

So anyhoo, it looks as if I don't buy now I'll have to wait and see if anymore can be imported. I don't see a bigger reduction being offered, however, as the first batch appears to have sold so quickly.

Why did I see that blinking ad in the paper 4 weeks ago :D

Or maybe buy one second hand in a year or so :D

Well to anyone out there who cares - I did it :)

Purchased a brand new Rover 75 1.8 Classic in Tempest Grey. I have had it for about 12 hours now, driven about 100Km and WOW! - what a car. My impression so far is that it is probably the best car I have ever driven or owned. Deal was 20% off list price, 2 years warranty, 2 years AA and 0 % finance over 3 years.

Anyway,thanks for all the opinions/advice/votes. I know a lot of you think I should be carried away by the men in white coats, and maybe you are right. Time will certainly tell.

P.S. I found out today that there is a consignment of Rovers in Rosslare that are being held up by some dispute between MGR Ireland/MGR Uk/PWC. These will probably eventually feed into the dealers. Don't know how many are 75s, though.

Hey, maybe I should buy another one for spares :D:D

enjoy the car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

podge3 wrote:
    Hey, maybe I should buy another one for spares :D:D
    Well it might be a good investment...can always sell it with the car in few years time..........might keep the price up :p
    But be sure to let us know the first problem if any you have with it....but somehow i dont think you'll tell us cos if the " I TOLD YOU SO!!" element

But on a serious note.....
    The best of luck with it ........really do hope it brings you years of motoring pleasure! ;)

Advertisement