Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pest Starlings

Options
  • 15-06-2005 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

I think I have some starlings nesting in the gutters on my house. Is there anyone that I can call to have them them removed as they are pi$$ing me off to say the least. ?? :( Are there pest control conpanies that would remove them ?

Everyday my driveway (and car) gets a new coating of bird crap and on two occasions now I've had to remove dead birds from my garden. Not to mention the bloody racket they make.

Can anyone advise please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have the same problem, they get in under the roof tiles and make such a bloody noise getting past the gutters.
    Ive tried getting at them from the attic but to no avail.
    Time for the air gun methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

GreeBo wrote:
    Time for the air gun methinks...
    That did actually come to mind .. but could be messy.
    Will a pest company remove them, does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If there are chicks in the nest leave them. Don't know when starlings lay or the egss are expected to hatch. Try to put a stop to it next year.

Or maybe just get a cat ;)

Rabies wrote:
    Try to put a stop to it next year.
    They are like little flying octopi, they can get into the smallest holes...
    Rabies wrote:
    Or maybe just get a cat ;)
    cant get a small enough parachute for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They won't be there all year round, cover your car with a bit of tarp.

• Advertisement

screw that idea, I was here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Hmmm well I won't be covering my car .. that would be a pain is the arse. What time of the year should they be gone by ? .. I'm not waiting months .. Is poison an option ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

v10 wrote:
    Hmmm well I won't be covering my car .. that would be a pain is the arse. What time of the year should they be gone by ? .. I'm not waiting months .. Is poison an option ?

NO!! It is illegal to lay poison without a permit. You will not only kill the starlings, you will kill any other animal that eats the dead bird or even the poison itself. Try putting up cut-outs or pictures of sparrowhawks. I think you can even buy "fake" birds of prey.

There are ways to deter birds nesting in roofspaces and gutters. I think rentokill provide the service. Failing all that contact Birdwatch Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Grow up and there's no need to be obnoxious.

Advertisement