Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going over cap on Eircom + Wireless security.

• 15-06-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I would use the search function for these, but it doesnt seem to be working at the moment. I did make some effort though as I trawled through 10 pages of threads, but couldnt find exactly the amount of information I need... even though these questions have probably been asked tonnes of times before!

First question is about cap, I know that there is no upload limit but I'm hovering precariously close to the 8192MB cap - I'm on 8022mb at the moment. This is no doubt due to my flurry of downloading at the end of last month into the first few days of this month and I'm just wondering whether or not Eircom have started charging yet for people going over the cap? I've heard stories and even encountered a few threads saying that Eircom throttle your line once you go over your cap, I also saw threads saying they do nothing and also threads saying that they do overcharge you (although I saw that thread so a long a go I can only vaguely remember it)

Second question is about Wireless Security. I half-arsedly tried to enable WEP but whenever I enabled it my laptop wouldnt find the network at all (SSID was off btw), so I settled for MAC filtering. In theory shouldn't this be all I need? As every MAC address is different and I set the router to only accept connections from the laptop then I shouldn't have anything to worry about then should I?

Thanks in advance and I feel really stupid for having to ask these questions because I'm usually one of the first to point out that questions have been asked before :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Second question is about Wireless Security. I half-arsedly tried to enable WEP but whenever I enabled it my laptop wouldnt find the network at all (SSID was off btw), so I settled for MAC filtering. In theory shouldn't this be all I need? As every MAC address is different and I set the router to only accept connections from the laptop then I shouldn't have anything to worry about then should I?
    I don't have time to write up how to enable WEP at the moment, i'll do it tonight if no-one else does it in the meantime. I'd also like to point out WEP can be cracked within 10 minutes by a standard home computer/laptop. If possible, use WPA as opposed to WEP.

MAC filtering would work fine, its what i use. I know theres no-one in my area who knows what a TCP/IP packet is, never mind how to fake a MAC address. So I feel i'm perfectly safe with just MAC filtering and turning off the SSID broadcast. Just make sure you change the default SSID on your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 a bald bloke

just a quick addition to the above, along with mac filtering and wep, if your wireless router supports it and most should
    1. enable https for wireless admin and disable external admin i.e. people coming in from the net to your router, ideally disable wireless admin entirely but it's a pain to have to connect back to the router sometimes just to change a setting and change the default password if there is one
    2. disable the ssid broadcast

Advertisement