Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving 2006

• 15-06-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Now that you're finished or nearly finished with the dreaded Leaving what advice would you give to others who've yet to sit it.

Personally I would say don't believe the hype or get too nervous about it because it's not the be all and end all like most people think.
    Also if you can do an extra honours subject, that way if you f something up you can still have a chance at getting some points.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭7thSeal

I'll probably be doing it next year aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh don't believe the hype.

once you finish your first day it just doesn't feel like the leaving cert anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭7thSeal

I'm still waiting for it to feel like the leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Cremo wrote:
    yeh don't believe the hype.

once you finish your first day it just doesn't feel like the leaving cert anymore

I felt like that but I didn't really feel relaxed about it until maths P2 was over.

I wish I could have done History first today and then business cause business was so much easier and it put me in a good mood. I now have a week off to study for economics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I would say actually study, an unbelievable amount of people don't do as well as they could

• Advertisement

Believe it or not but I didn't study a thing few the two weeks before the start. I really only studied the stuff the night before. I'm quite proud of myself too because I started studying Business on my own and covered the course in one year with no help and I think I got an A2 or at least a B1. Like I said I only looked at the books again last night and when I went in I couldn't believe how easy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Yeah be sure to start studting in fifth year, and over the summer revise the stuff you did in fifth year. I didn't and I regret it so much now. It's only two years of your life! Also definitely do not get too caught up in it, if you have been studting you'll have nothing to worry about, it will all come back to you!

But most of all, make the most of your last year in school cos you'll miss all the craic when it's over.

Edit: Also, NEVER look at answers after the exams, i.e. maths. Was confident that I got an A and now I'm not so sure....it will only drive you mad and there's nothing I can do about it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Do your homework all year, then start doing the papers around a month or two before the Leaving.

I know it's setting a bad example but I have to admit I barely went near past papers. I think I've only done one of each and I didn't do any history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Just as a matter of interest in case iv to repeat what shakespearian drma do ye do in english for 2006 in the single text?

• Advertisement

Do your homework all year, then start doing the papers around a month or two before the Leaving.

Exactly. Homework is very important, it will enable you to look back when you're doing the papers and go "Oh I remember this!"

And yes, PAPERS PAPERS PAPERS X 100. Do them until you're popping out knowledge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

Yeah, homework is really important. Make sure that the first time round that you do a topic/technique/question/chapter etc., you understand it and can do it. You dont want to be studying frantically a month before the exams trying to learn stuff that you've never done before.

In my opinion, if you're fairly intelligent, and you're looking for a high B average (480-510points), you just need to keep a good workload on until christmas. You dont need to study 7 nights a week for 3 hours a night, but you do need to do the homework and study for tests. After Christmas, if you're teachers are any good, you'll be finished the course (more or less). That would be the time where you need to start revising, about a month before your mocks. I only really started studying after my mocks (in March), but I still had time to go over everything in the two months before the exam, and then cram in the last two weeks. The most important thing is to leave yourself enough time to revise over everything (and understand it), and then be able to skim over it during the last few weeks.

Studying is pretty difficult, and if you find yourself constantly giving up - you need to give up your distractions (after Christmas in my opinion), i.e. watching TV three hours a night, playing computer games, getting pissed 3 nights a week. The only way to really study well is to set yourself a timetable, and make yourself think that in the two or three hours you set for study you can't do anything else, at least not until you finish studying. Constantly set yourself tasks and deadlines, and do your best to keep them.

But what do I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

also for maths papers are good but not the ideal.

look at the questions in the paper then go to the chapter in your book and note down everything they can ask you.

the problem with 2005 paper 1 in maths was questions were phrased differently and caused difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

i would say do the homework (at least a reasonable amount) study for tests and write out notes as early as possible!! i had alot of geog stuff written out already and it was much easier knowing i just had to sit down and learn my own notes as opposed to having to write a load of **** out.
    take today for example: it was 11:30 and i was just starting to write out Inter Party Gov't notes for history (which started at two)
    if you feel the need to leave all your learnin till the night before (like me) then mt advice is to studt the night before your class tests and write your notes, then when it comes to the leaving, you can sit down and go through your notes the day before :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Just as a matter of interest in case iv to repeat what shakespearian drma do ye do in english for 2006 in the single text?

The year below me is doing King Lear...i've heard it's awful.

In reply to the thread in general, do the stuff already said(take good notes, do homework etc) and also when doing homework, do it with the leaving cert in mind, not just as a chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ignore all the hype, it's a huge anti-climax.

I'd recommend for people starting fifth year to look at the papers, pick what their doing from the start. Look at maths, you spend months doing qs you know your not gonna do. Also it will focus you, and you'l know what your doing.
    Coming up to the test you'l just discard huge amounts of material and concentrate on a narrow field of stuff, might as well do it from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

1. Find out the difference between vision and viewpoint, theme etc before the day of the exam.
    2.Dont spend the morning of your history exam writing out notes you should have done out ages ago/
    3. just cos you dropped from honours to pass maths doesn't mean you shouldn't look over papers beforehand.
    and kids.....say no to crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Don't do it like I did.

Don't do t.y, 'nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I'd say do something, *anything*, every day of the week... even if it's just 20 minutes a night. It will definitely make a difference and I know for a fact that the material we studied in class during my "studying" phases came back to me a hell of a lot easier than the stuff we did during the days school was the interruption between 9am and 4pm and not much else.

Other than that, the things I find that help me most are my self-belief, confidence and the fact I get more good luck each week than most people seem to get in a year! Believe in good luck and you'll get it!

Advertisement