Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telnet applet for FireFox ?

Options
  • 15-06-2005 5:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to setup a web page with so I can click on a link and it takes me into a Telnet session to that address and port.

It doesn't need to have SSH or anything fancy
    Preferrably Open Source

At present I can cut/paste and run the command that way.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

telnet:127.0.0.1

in the location bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Why not just link to the telnet URI and let the users telnet client of choice kick in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks SpongeBob
    - but I want to be able to click on it - like Mailto: or file:// tag.

T.
    I must investigate this mysteryous URI that you speak ov.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[url]telnet://127.0.0.1[/url] works when entered - but not clickable

so maybe I need a firefox extension that will recognise it as a clickable link
    or get www.wikiserver.org to treat it as a clickable link

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

so maybe I need a firefox extension that will recognise it as a clickable link
    or get www.wikiserver.org to treat it as a clickable link

Works when clicked here!

• Advertisement

What Sponge Bob gave you is a telnet URI, just like http, mailto, or ftp etc. URI schemes there is a telnet URI scheme.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes is one of those documents it's worth being familiar with if you do any web stuff.

Works here. You need to:
    1. Have a telnet client.
    2. Have it bound to the telnet URI scheme.
    3. Not have told Firefox previously to always disallow telnet URIs (firefox prompts you about some URI schemes before launching as a security measure, and there is a "remember my choice" option).

Turned out that all I needed to do was embed the html code on to the wiki page.
    [$html:<a href=telnet://127.0.0.1>telnet://127.0.0.1</a><br/>]

Thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Does an SSH URI exist?

Advertisement